IGNORED

Any Problems with Aftermarket Windshields 2010 and Up 12RT's?

Michael B

Hi guys - need some advice. Anyone having any problems with aftermarket windshields on 2010 and up R1200 RT's?

I just ordered a Cee-Bailey 2" taller than OEM windshield for my 2011 12RT. Several postings say the larger windshields make the OEM support arms snap due to the increased wind burden. This seems to be more true in the 12RT '05-'09 bikes. So, based on your experience, was the support arm hardware redesigned for additional strength on 2010 and ups, or are they the same as '05-'09's?

I ask because there is strengthened aftermarket hardware available to solve the problem. I don't want to be way out there on a trip and have a problem. Better to take care of it now? Please advise.

Also, has anyone experienced reduced milage due to a Cee-Bailey or any of the other windshields? Any other concerns or problems?

Thanks for your help here! Michael B

This may not be much help, but......

I put an Aeroflow Medium windscreen on my '11 RT and like it a lot. It's a noticeable difference over the stock windscreen providing better protection and a quieter ride. I've only had it a couple of months and don't have a lot of miles on it yet but so far it's good and gas mileage has not seemend to suffer. Read a post either here or on the MOA from a guy who's tried several windscreens on an RT and stated the Aeroflow was the only one that did not reduce his fuel mileage. I certainly can't speak to that. Having read the same posts as you regarding the arms breaking I went ahead and purchased the West Tool brackets just in case the stock ones fail. I'll give it a full season and see what happens, if the stock arms don't break I'll probably sell the West Tool brackets.

Hope this helps..

Thanks kltk165 for your reply. I'm inclined to do the same thing you did, i.e. purchase the WestTool brackets and hope for the best. I'm also concerned that the new brackets will fit my 2011. Good luck with your Aeroflow.

Hey DR, where are you buddy? You always have the best answers to questions like mine. Looking forward to hearing from you...are the stock support brackets strong enough to handle a larger than OEM Cee Bailey windshield? Michael B

Gentlemen -

I can't say a lot about the longevity of the 2010's and up, having just got mine in October. But I can tell you that on my 2008, after 1.5 years, the brackets broke and I replaced them with WestTool brackets. I did have a Cee Bailey screen on the bike.

I have a Cee Bailey on my 2012 but I've only put 500 miles on it so far. I'm really hoping, like you are, that the bracket issue has been corrected.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Cee Bailey on my 2012 but I've only put 500 miles on it so far. I'm really hoping, like you are, that the bracket issue has been corrected.

Sorry, but is it an "issue"?

If the bracket works fine with the OEM Windshield, then that's all that is required from the manufacturer.

We can hardly hold the manufacturer responsible for all the extra aftermarked Bling we choose to install, unless they have been specifically approved by the manufacturer.

You might not have meant the post in that way, and if so, I apologize.

It's just that I have seen similar comments on the Oilhead sections. I myself had a Cee Baily screen install on my previous 1150RT and it was 1 inch larger plus the sweep up on the top (like a spoiler), would certainly increase the load on the original brackets dramatically.

So if mine would have broken I wouldn't be blaming the bike manufacturer.

Archived