IGNORED

brake pad cost

haildamage

hi, just wondering how much new BMW front brake pads retail for on a 1996 R1100RT? wanna make sure im getting a good deal from someone.

thanks,

eric

The EBC FA-18s that I have on my old K100 run about $40 canadian, or $30 or so at US dealers. YOu can get them from mailorder places for the mid $20s. These are organic pads that don't make noise and last decently well.

EBC also makes their supposedly high performance "HH" pads, but I found that the FA18-HH pads that fit my bike are relatively quiet on the rear, but squeal like crazy on the front. I really don't see a performance difference, nor do they seem to last any longer than the standard organic ones. The organic ones are also easier on the rotors than the sintered copper "HH" types.

Bob.

Buy them before you think you need them. Had to change out the rear at 12K - the ole dealer got me for 60 bucks - had "SUCKER" written all over my forehead.

They aren't that expensive, keep'em on hand.

Ride Safe thumbsup.gif

thanks for your replies guys.

here's some more details.

this is what i could buy: two boxes of BMW OEM front brake pads. part number 34 11 7 658 156.

how much should those cost? is there a comparable and cheaper non-OEM part?

thanks,

eric

I have never bought BMW brakepads. The last time I checked I think they were $60.00 a set x3. I have used the EBC's with great result and pay $27.95 a set x3. A lot of BMW dealers carry the EBC pads and I buy them for my BMW at the local Kawasaki shop!

No figuring to it. I drill the old rivet off the oem pads. I then place a new brake pad under the old one and mark the spot to drill a hole for the blind rivet I use to afix the spring to the EBC pad. No big deal! thumbsup.gif

I have been using Galfer Blacks for the last 3 sets from CYCLEBRAKESDOTCOM and have really good results with them. They should have the anti-rattle clips on the blacks, just be sure and ask when ordering, if it is important to you. And Cycle Brakes dot com has always been great to deal with. YMMV

The EBC organic pads produce a lot less dust than the OEM items. They brake at least as well if not better. they seem to be very easy on the rotors too. I didn't bother fitting the anti squeal springs. they don't seem any the worse for not having them.

Archived