IGNORED

No XM through the Autocom

redryder

I took advantage of the Autocom sale and purchased an Active-7 system today. After "carefully" placing the speakers and boom mic I went to the bike and temporarily wired the bike through one of the fuses (I'll make a permanent connection when it's warmer)and plugged up the XM and cell phone cables.

The intercom portion and the cell phone feature works really great. No complaints whatsoever. However, the XM will not play through the system. I have checked the leads, and even swapped ends with them and still no music. I have a headphone jack permanantly mounted on the dash, next to the left speaker. This jack works well with either my iPod earphones or another cheaper earphone set that I use on occasion. No matter where I place the volume control, I don't get ANY sound through the Autocom. When I UNPLUG the cable I get perfect sound, in stereo, just as the Autocom cable is barely making contact with the headphone jack. If I hold the Autocom cable lightly into the headphone jack I get very good sound...if I push the cable all the way in (so it will stay) I get no sound whatsoever.

Any ideas??? I'll go back to the dealer tomorrow or Thursday and see what they say, but I just wanted some of the valuable input from you good folks first. To be forewarned is to be forearmed...or something of the like.

Also, does anyone know if the circuit used to power the XM would cause problems with the Autocom (noise, etc.)?? I don't have the factory radio, just the XM and a 40 watt marine amplifier hard mounted into the glove box.

Are you using the stereo cable supplied with the Autocomm? Mine was defective and I replaced it with a $2 one from Radio Shack, and everything started working fine.

Also, does anyone know if the circuit used to power the XM would cause problems with the Autocom (noise, etc.)?? I don't have the factory radio, just the XM and a 40 watt marine amplifier hard mounted into the glove box.

If the Autocomm and the audio device (XM, Ipod, radar detector) are bike-powered, you'll get noise. You'll need an isolated interface cable

On a previous bike I tried to boost the signal from a mini disc to the autocom. In this foolish project I connected the mini disc to a boostaroo (Radio Shack) then to the Auto Com. No sound . Bypass the boostaroo and I had sound again. Does that sound familiar? I dont think your 7 likes your amp. confused.gif Leon 12RT

ON my r12rt I have my autocom and XM powered through the aux socket and a Mix-It 2 (for the amp for the XM) and am having no problems. It sounds like a plug/cable problem from your description.

Found the problem. I had to use a shielded cable due to the XM being powered by the bike's battery. A shielded cable, Autocom part 64, fixed the problem. All is A.O.K.

Found the problem. I had to use a shielded cable due to the XM being powered by the bike's battery. A shielded cable, Autocom part 64, fixed the problem. All is A.O.K.

I think you mean an "isolated" cable, which is what Part 64 is. Anyway, glad to know it cleared up the problem.

Archived