IGNORED

UN XI Excited Chatter Thread

Kathy R

lawnchairboy

I went through salida today on the way to ridgway. Tomorrow, CO 69 from walsenburg to texas corner on 50 will be closed at mm 49 for most of the day. some construction spots on 69, the road is in rough shape in spots and I was in my truck!

I'm almost ready to start beginning to get excited.. I'll let you all know when its really time....

meanwhile carry-on.

I'll alert the Press.

Missouri Bob

Highway 72 between Hwy 7 and Nederland is getting chip-sealed. It could easily be a couple of weeks before the excess gravel is gone.

Recent heavy rains have left significant sand on the roads around here.

Bob

lawnchairboy

the 62/145 junction down the hill from telluride Has a big construction project going, delays.

markgoodrich

So, let me see if I have this right...this being my first Unrally...and reading through this thread...it's called Unrally because:

Most of the state just burned to the ground;

All the roads are closed;

The ones that are not closed are covered with sand, gravel, and ball bearings;

The rest of the roads are under heavy construction with month-long delays;

The one open road is bumper to bumper RVs;

Temps will be above 116 at midnight.

Did I leave anything out? I can see why everyone is so excited. I'm especially excited because I get to ride across west Texas to get there, some of the most beautiful desolation this side of Africa. :clap::wave:

Now, where did I put that other pair of underwear?

So, let me see if I have this right...this being my first Unrally...and reading through this thread...it's called Unrally because:

Did I leave anything out? I can see why everyone is so excited. I'm especially excited because I get to ride across west Texas to get there, some of the most beautiful desolation this side of Africa. :clap::wave:

CLASSIC BMWST

PhillyFlash

CLASSIC BMWST

May be classic bmwst, but back in the old bmwRT days, that would have been inviting. The greater the ordeal, the more room to embellish a ride tale.

Hwy US-24 Just north of Leadville, CO is closed in both directions due to a sinkhole developed from recent rains. It is closed indefinitely. Could change some plans going north on US-24.

markgoodrich

Now wait just a dingdong minute here! All I did was summarize all the whines listed by others. The only thing I added was wondering where I put my spare underwear! And I wasn't whining about that...no biggie if I can't find them.

I'm especially excited because I get to ride across west Texas to get there, some of the most beautiful desolation this side of Africa.
We are going to avoid extreme W. Texas this time and head up 71, then thru Raton and into the good stuff. Not much cooler, but less desolate. Leaving Saturday morning. Looks like I should really consider taking my dual sport after all......

CLASSIC BMWST

May be classic bmwst, but back in the old bmwRT days, that would have been inviting. The greater the ordeal, the more room to embellish a ride tale.

Exactly what I meant... We laugh in the face of adversity

Snow , ice ,wind,dust, heat.... ride in , see who made it , laugh about it , ride home

markgoodrich

CLASSIC BMWST

Snow , ice ,wind,dust, heat.... ride in , see who made it , laugh about it , ride home

And exactly what I meant...I'll do it all going uphill, in the snow.

PhillyFlash

CLASSIC BMWST

Mark, just look at my avatar. That was not an isolated incident. Just ask around. People are afraid to ride with me. And don't start talking about taking a nice, slow ride.

Mark, just look at my avatar. That was not an isolated incident. Just ask around. People are afraid to ride with me. And don't start talking about taking a nice, slow ride.

Howard, Your avatar..... Isn't that you and Tool up on 168 at DVD

Now wait just a dingdong minute here! All I did was summarize all the whines listed by others. The only thing I added was wondering where I put my spare underwear! And I wasn't whining about that...no biggie if I can't find them.

I hope you didn't leave your underwear at Phil and Jamie's. :grin:

Dennis Andress

CLASSIC BMWST

Someone told me you've mellowed after retirement...

Yep, looks like we are GO for A.M. launch!! See how far we get before the humid hot temps catch us! Maybe bring a swimsuit for a motel with a pool!!

lawnchairboy

7/24 red mountain pass closure on 550... believe it is evening night but check co DMV site

Laundry done? Check!

Pre-trip haircut? Check!

Clothes laid out for packing? Check!

Bike fuelled? Check!

Passport and champagne flutes at hand? Check!

Water bottles chilling? Check!

Guess all I have to do is pack tonight. Actually, that means watching my wife pack. She'll be flying into Denver, so her stuff is going on the bike too. I'll be ready for a 5:00 a.m. lift-off tomorrow (Friday).

Day 1 (Friday): Wadsworth, OH;

Day 2 (Saturday): Saint Charles, MO;

Day 3 (Sunday): Hays, KS;

Day 4 (Monday): Salida.

Below is a cut & paste from a previous post.

We've had some inquiries about the availability of a shuttle service to transport those who wish to imbibe but not have to rely on their own two wheels to get to and from the bars.

I'm happy to report that Salida has such a service - Toasted Taxi (719-221-2783) - that charges $10 per load (NOT per person), per trip. The Gateway Inn will have their contact info readily available.

Another bar/restaurant that offers a shuttle is Wallbanger's but it's possible that they won't be inclined to drive us to their competition. Besides, Wallbanger's is but a few minutes walk from The Gateway so you'd have to be pretty stinkin' drunk to need their shuttle.

I'll pass along more info as I hear about it. I'm also positive that some other members will be trailering or driving out to the rally. I suggest you suck up, er, I mean make friends with them and maybe they'll haul your toasted tail(s) around.

Yep, looks like we are GO for A.M. launch!! See how far we get before the humid hot temps catch us! Maybe bring a swimsuit for a motel with a pool!!

The Whip's will be heading out in the mornin.

Should be in Salida Saturday by 5pm.

Gonna stay the first couple nights just outside of town before moving to party central on Tuesday.

markgoodrich

Gonna stay the first couple nights just outside of town before moving to party central on Tuesday.

Yep: leaving Sat for Clovis, arrive Salida HIE Sunday.

I'll arrive sometime Sunday.....prolly mid afternoon.

So... where is Whipville gonna be on Tuesday? Hate to go to the wrong place? Could not find your previous post... must be trying to hide from the rest of us...

So... where is Whipville gonna be on Tuesday? Hate to go to the wrong place? Could not find your previous post... must be trying to hide from the rest of us...

Saturday thru Tuesday we will be at the MT Yale Cabin...visitors welcome.

www.riversuites.com

Tuesday we are gonna check into the Gateway Hotel/Motel also known has "The Main Event".

L and L

BMW Coooper is packed and and ready to go! Will be good to see some old acquaintances. Healing juice for Kathy is on board :grin:

markgoodrich

Now this is incredible: A week's worth of stuff, and the top case is on the shelf. Assuming nothing else gets remembered, this is a first. Course, SWMBO ain't going along. When she's along, all my stuff fits in the glove box, as the cases are full....I never said that.

Doug....I will find you :grin:

We are aiming for Monday night arrival, but 50/50 chance that we will arrive sometime Tuesday. I'll post to the thread, Where Art Thou, as we travel.

I am bringing some famed Finger Lakes Reisling....one of my favorites is this Dr. Frank

i-c5bskDr-L.jpg

I may have a bottle of "Grapeful Red" also on board from a local winery near my house, Ruby Hills. It's not bad for a relatively cheap wine. Hopefully there by Tuesday afternoon before the ice cream.

Our neighbors just returned from Salida. They say there is a nice zip-line there, if anyone tires of being on the motorcycle.

Weather forecast doesn't look so great, so far!

PhillyFlash

Howard, Your avatar..... Isn't that you and Tool up on 168 at DVD

Oh, yeah. That was one of the Snow Rides, but probably my most famous. There was also the ride from Torrey to Eureka Springs for UnRally 2 where we had snow/slush on Monarch Pass, and then, of course, a little snow, rain, sleet, thunder, and lightning ride up at Torrey this past spring. Ride with me, you never know the adventure you may stumble into.

PhillyFlash

CLASSIC BMWST

Someone told me you've mellowed after retirement...

Yeah, that was probably me. You know by now not to believe me when I say that. Laney knows.

Weather forecast doesn't look so great, so far!

What's wrong with the weather forecast? It looks pretty great for the last week of July in the mountains.

Got the front range in sight

IMAG0231-L.jpg

I'm going to be roaming about the mountains for the next several days.Hope to be in Salida Wed evening and may do a dualsport loop from there Thursday if anyone would like join in on a smaller dualsport

I'm having a clothing dilemma.

Cannot decide whether to bring my Dark Blue Suit or maybe just stay with the Gray... Is the standard Old School tie OK for Colorado or perhaps too dressy and maybe bring the Rep Stripe? Foulard?

Thoughts?

Getting the gear together... almost ready to ride.

I'll be wearing grey. . . with a few bug stains. :grin:

+1 :)

Hi-Viz with grey and lots of stains.

Oh forgot, used to be Hi-Viz, now more like algae green or Hi-wiz.

;)

I'm having a clothing dilemma.

Cannot decide whether to bring my Dark Blue Suit or maybe just stay with the Gray... Is the standard Old School tie OK for Colorado or perhaps too dressy and maybe bring the Rep Stripe? Foulard?

Thoughts?

Getting the gear together... almost ready to ride.

Whichever one make you look the most dapper.

I packed everything! :D

WE'RE HERE! WHOOOHOOOOO! Kenosha Pass was FUN in The Mighty Buick!

i-4gQptb9-L.jpg

Yeah, that is Nebraska, but I liked his pose

Nigel and Biff played at the dog park this morning after eating each other's food. Somehow no pictures were taken.

Archived