IGNORED

UN XI Excited Chatter Thread

Kathy R

AdventurePoser
I know Whip has organized a nice-and-easy ride, which looks like fun. Is there going to be another group or groups who might ride a similar route at a more spirited pace (not that I'd advocate exceeding the speed limits?

We were just talking about the same thing. Not that Steve Carr is a slowpoke or anything, but he did say it was nice and easy. :)

Maybe it's time for a new thread?

The We Promise to Wait for the Rest of You at Every Stop Wednesday Ride? :clap:

No, that's ok...I can be a slowpoke at times. Too much scenery to look at!

Steve

Juiced some vegetables and seem unable to get excited about all the work thats piling up in front of me today. Ten more days till I can leave and all I can seem to concentrate on is the bike and what to pack ( same stuff every time ).

Usually , my boss catches on , yet he's just ignoring the symptoms.... no respect.

I am so excited

:( I'm out.

A Must-do work trip landed no the same week with the Un.

This Un with the all the dual-sport riding was supposed to be my "big ride" for this year.... :cry:

Oh well. Setting my sights to Torrey....

--

Mikko

Awe man, will miss seeing you!

Just back from my little trip to Alaska, now, wash bike, pull two tires, wash, install radio B2B (for Jean), wash.

DSCF1610-L.jpg

I know Whip has organized a nice-and-easy ride, which looks like fun. Is there going to be another group or groups who might ride a similar route at a more spirited pace (not that I'd advocate exceeding the speed limits?

We were just talking about the same thing. Not that Steve Carr is a slowpoke or anything, but he did say it was nice and easy. :)

Do I have time to go talk to AMS Dallas (Ducati dealer) about another Multi 12????

Good to hear you will be attending Dave.

Speaking of Bike-to-Bike... do we have a Channel?

Should be no big deal to change but if we had an UN Channel... we could get it settled before the ride.

(?)

3 days until blastoff to shannie mae's heading west. work is really kicking my a$$.

Hopefully the snuggie has been serviced and is ready to go... :grin::wave:

markgoodrich

Do I have time to go talk to AMS Dallas (Ducati dealer) about another Multi 12????

Will you let me ride THIS one?

Dennis Andress

Will you let me ride THIS one?

Ditto for me!!

You should buy one, and let US ride!

Bob, we will be on channel 2 unless Jean does the chest bump channel change thing agin, (her radio is in the tankbag), then all bets are off!

3 days until blastoff to shannie mae's heading west. work is really kicking my a$$.

Is shannie mae coming with you to Salida???

I guess the heat will feel pretty good after the cold, wet weather up here in BC and the Yukon. :P

Yup, I've seen and ridden that, AZ and CO are much better. The season is tooo short in Yukon and Alaska, Fairbanks has only 90 days a year above freezing.

Yikes, 10 days and we leave. Still have to get the BT communications working.

Thinking about sneaking out of town a day early, I'm getting excited now!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Make sure David cleans up that Yammie. I don't wanna see any of that Yukon gunk in Colorado.

:wave:

Packing a bike for a long ride is ... well, it's...you all know what I'm talking about. Getting all of your stuff just so, checking and rechecking, the garage door goes up and you launch a little bit, make sure the door is shut behind you...bury that garage door controller in the tank bag...because you aren't going to need it for a couple weeks...and off you go.

This time the payoff is purely the Peeps, and that is quite enough this time around. Some folks aren't here to even have the opportunity to decide if the UN is a destination this year. :cry: I will hope they are with us in spirit. I'm so happy to be going and I'm so eager to HUG EVERYBODY! :D

Kathy and all,

First time on the Board in 10 days. Got a call on Friday July 1st that my 90 year old mother broke her hip. Flew from DC to Orlando and have been her since. Surgery went well, however, after 5 days in ICU we could not get her breathing on her own and we lost her on July 9th. Needed to stay longer to support my 92 year old Dad who is having a hard time adjusting to being on his own after 70 years of marriage to a beautiful, loving wife.

Kathy - you are right it is about the people! I am looking forward to that HUG.

I will need to modify my trip somewhat, however, I will somehow find time to pack and see you all at the UN.

Paul Mihalka

Bob, my deepest condolences for the passing of your mother. I remember a couple of times your parents come up in our conversations. Loosing a parent is always hard but it must be hardest on your father. Please give him a extra hug from somebody who is not THAT much younger.

Packing a bike for a long ride is ... well, it's...you all know what I'm talking about. Getting all of your stuff just so, checking and rechecking, the garage door goes up and you launch a little bit, make sure the door is shut behind you...bury that garage door controller in the tank bag...because you aren't going to need it for a couple weeks...and off you go.

This time the payoff is purely the Peeps, and that is quite enough this time around. Some folks aren't here to even have the opportunity to decide if the UN is a destination this year. :cry: I will hope they are with us in spirit. I'm so happy to be going and I'm so eager to HUG EVERYBODY! :D

Kathy and all,

First time on the Board in 10 days. Got a call on Friday July 1st that my 90 year old mother broke her hip. Flew from DC to Orlando and have been her since. Surgery went well, however, after 5 days in ICU we could not get her breathing on her own and we lost her on July 9th. Needed to stay longer to support my 92 year old Dad who is having a hard time adjusting to being on his own after 70 years of marriage to a beautiful, loving wife.

Kathy - you are right it is about the people! I am looking forward to that HUG.

I will need to modify my trip somewhat, however, I will somehow find time to pack and see you all at the UN.

So sorry to hear. Be safe.

Very sorry to hear that Dr. Bob. I'm not looking forward to that day with my mother. While we certainly hope to see you again, please don't ride if your head is not cmompletely clear.....

Dennis Andress

Sorry to hear that, Bob. Please ride good so we can all give you a hug.

Dennis

For those attending the UN XI, beware of US Hwy. 24 near Leadville. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/11/giant-sinkhole-determined_n_1665481.html?utm_hp_ref=denver&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl8|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D177887)

"A giant sinkhole that opened up alongside US-24 highway near Leadville on Monday has forced the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) to completely shut the highway down to all traffic north of Leadville at mile marker 165 "indefinitely."

After several engineers, maintenance supervisors and geological experts examined the sinkhole on Monday, it was determined that the sinkhole is actually a century-old railroad tunnel that collapsed decades ago, CDOT said in a press release.

The depth of the hole is estimated to be about 100 feet, and since the depths reach so far into the earth, much of the soil was still frozen until very recently -- when the soil thawed, the hole was exposed.

7News spoke with Rex Goodrich, a CDOT engineer who explained why engineers decided it was safer to shut the highway down completely. "It's the unknown. Twenty feet away, there could be another hole like this ready to break through," Goodrich said to 7News.

The collapsed tunnel was reportedly once part of the old Denver and Rio Grande Western's Tennessee Pass Route. It was constructed as part of the Royal Gorge Railroad route in the 1880s, The Denver Post reports.

According to 9News, Union Pacific now owns it and said the tunnel has been abandoned since the 1950s.

All of US-24 is not closed between Red Cliff and Leadville, just the section near the sinkhole at mile marker 165. CDOT is recommending using State Highway 91 as an alternative route, as there is no estimated time of reopening.

The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) posted photos of the giant sinkhole on their Facebook page."

Enjoy the UN. (Without me :cry: )

Thanks for the warning. We were planning on returning that way. I wonder how bad traffic will be on 91 now? :S

Not fun.....thoughts are with you Bob. My Grandfather just went into the hospital Tuesday (I just found out this morning), and no one is sure when or if he will be discharged. I stopped to see him this afternoon and he was his being his normal stubborn PITA self and was in good spirits. Apparently that was not the case this morning. Don't know what tomorrow will hold. Not sure if it will be altering my travel plans for next week or not. Kind of in a holding pattern as of now.

Nice n Easy Rider

Bob, very sorry for your loss. I'm sure it is very difficult for your dad after 70 wonderful years but having you there to support him will mean a lot.

"A giant sinkhole that opened up alongside US-24 highway near Leadville on Monday has forced the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) to completely shut the highway down to all traffic north of Leadville at mile marker 165 "indefinitely."

Fubar - I wish you were going. Thanks for the update on route planning issues. You reminded me of our travel plans for the first UN HERE

On a somber note - Bob and Keith....you must know that each of us are holding you in our thoughts and arms. Do what you need to do and take care of yourselves. {{{{HUG}}}}

Our deepest condolences on the passing of your mother. It was good that you were able to see her one last time before her passing. May her soul rest in peace.

The closing of Colorado 24 is a big deal. Apparently those arriving from the West might consider Hwy 82 through Aspen.

Would appreciate hearing any local knowledge on this alternate route. I know Larry's ride plan includes 82 from Salida but how is 82 for auto traffic?

My recomendation is to get to 65 east of Grand Junction a super, super road :thumbsup:.In fact it's one of those "run it both ways" roads. Then hit 92 to 50 and on in.

Problem on 82 is you are only as fast as the slow ones ahead of you as Independence Pass can be loaded with traffic and is narrow.

Depends on the day, weekends are worst.Several years ago a motorhome was just a little too long and was stuck on a turn wall to guard rail going east out of Aspen. Luckly the tow truck was there and we only waited 30 minutes to get by. I have no idea how far that bus had to back downto turn around. Signs say not over 30 or 35 feet.

Any road there is good. Wish I was there :cry:

Paul Mihalka

"My recomendation is to get to 65 east of Grand Junction a super, super road :thumbsup: .In fact it's one of those "run it both ways" roads. Then hit 92 to 50 and on in."

+++1! Great roads! 65 goes by Grand Mesa. A beauty.

My recomendation is to get to 65 east of Grand Junction a super, super road :thumbsup:.In fact it's one of those "run it both ways" roads. Then hit 92 to 50 and on in.

That's exactly the route I'll be following. Will stay in Grand Junction Monday night, then follow that route to arrive in Salida in time (hopefully) for the ice cream social. ;)

Well, as many of you know from facebook, I'm out. I hit a patch of loose gravel when riding my road bicycle. I went down instantly and hard managing to fracture my femur. I'll post some pics later in the Other Topics later today.

Edd, that sucks. Want a ride to the UN?

Thanks Dennis, but I've got a follow up appointment in the middle of the UN, and I'm not sure I'd be up for that long of a ride anyway.

Just dong yet another map recon...

Anyone know anything about CO Rd 20 from Panoia Reservoir toward Crested Butte and Hwy 135?

Paved? etc?

roadscholar
Just dong yet another map recon...

Anyone know anything about CO Rd 20 from Panoia Reservoir toward Crested Butte and Hwy 135?

Paved? etc?

Not paved hopz, except one section in the middle, but easily doable on an RT. Gets a good bit of use and is kept maintained, pretty sure that's CR 12, Kebler Pass Rd.

I'm almost ready to start beginning to get excited.. I'll let you all know when its really time....

meanwhile carry-on.

In 12 hours the horde from BC will be attempting to sworm into your peacefull setting. Oh yeah, bring beer to stave off the sworm.

Cheers.....

Archived