IGNORED

SMH10 or SCALA Q2 - any advice?

ElevenFifty

... Also - can anyone confirm that these two would link together? I have a good friend with the SCALA but am leaning toward SMH10 for the large volume control knob.

Anyone know of a side by side comparison?

Thanks

I just purchased the SMH10. Based upon my research the different companies are proprietary, so no linking between competitors. That was my biggest surprise as I thought the blue tooth protocol was standard. They all seem very good and right now the ability to link to multiple compatible headsets with simultaneous listening and talking, Scala has the advantage. With that said rumors abound that the SMH10 will connect with 3 headsets by end of Feb to Mid March and that SMH10 is working on a larger number but that number has not been announced. One of my biggest decisions points was the ability to use stereo ear plugs instead of helmet speakers and the use of a flat mic, instead of boom only mic. Those were two features I liked. Plus for me I have a SMH10 distributor right here in the greater Atlanta area so that was nice. I just got mine yesterday and have only mounted it on the helmet and installed the flat mic. have not synced it to the 665 GPS yet or to the other unit (bought a dual kit). Will be playing with it all weekend.

just purchased the scala g4 has the capability to connect to 2 other riders and has the facility to upgrade software , connects to other scala models ( 3 bikes or 2 bikes & 2 pillions) FM radio and full stereo mp3 from the Garmin zumo . Phone links via GPS, alledged 1 mile range with other g4's have yet to test that claim. Easy to fit to my Shoei multitec

Swapped out my Scala G4 for a Sena last summer. Volume (not just the volume control) is better, battery life is better than I recall on the Scala (and I can run a USB cable into it while I'm riding and recharge while I use it) and the range seems a bit better but it drops off a cliff - the Scala seemed to give more scratchy staticy warning when I was going out of range. Senate just released a Bluetooth module that you can hook to an FRS radio to communicate with folks using those - I'm getting one in the spring because I ride with Autocomm equipped friends who have Motorola FRS radios. I don't know of any brands of headsets that talk to other brands - the radio option (or cell phone) seems to be the only way for different headset manufacturers to talk to each other.

I'm not sure of the answer to your question but I am also not sure why they would not talk to each other.

If the Bluetooth in both are different then how can they both talk to the same GPS, iPhone or BMW's bluetooth?

My Sena talks with all of these w/o any problems.

Just saying.

I'm not sure of the answer to your question but I am also not sure why they would not talk to each other.

If the Bluetooth in both are different then how can they both talk to the same GPS, iPhone or BMW's bluetooth?

My Sena talks with all of these w/o any problems.

Just saying.

Good point. Has anyone tried to pair SENA and any other unit? Surely the manufactures would not lie to us just so we would spend more money for another unit, that would just be mean......

I spoke with the Sena guys about pairing with other manufactures and they said that its possible but they would make no guarantees about which brands or units might work. Sounded like a trial and error crap shoot to me.

Yes I did forget about the FM radio. it seems like a nice feature, but with many phones now using pandora and the like, and me using XM radio I felt that was not a feature for me. And yes as noted right now the scala is ahead of the sena with regards to multiple discussion capability. It will be interestin to see how each company continues to jump the other to get market share. scala scored huge with the FM radio and multiple talk riders. Sena countered with the long distance riders looking for on the go charging. also I believe sena is only one with earplug option. So each company seems to have the nitch they think will bring them the market share.

The newer Sena SMH-10's now have the ability to "three-way" with other units.

My newer SMH-10"B" does this even with the older (1st. edition) units that my riding buddies have.

I'm not plugging for Sena, that's just the one that I have. I have never tried the Scala's.

Just sayin.

Count me on the Sena side of the fence for its design (large jog dial and single phone button with an I terrace that just works).

I looked at both pretty seriously but the reviews and handling both units (with gloves on) gave the nod to Sena. I'm happy.

I've used the Scala Q2 and the Sena SMH10. The Sena unit is IMHO far better than the Scala unit. Better range, much better sound quality, better ergos on the controls, better mounting system, better battery life.

The latest Scala unit has a huge stickup antenna that usually isn't shown in the ads, but is required to achieve the max range it advertises. The Sena has no external antenna and has excellent range.

That said Scala has been making some improvements - but so has Sena. WebBikeWorld.com has excellent reviews of bluetooth intercoms for more info:

We have an older Q2 Multiset, and we like it. However, if we were looking for something new, I would definitely be looking hard at the Sena units, for all of the reasons mentioned by others.

Archived