IGNORED

After 6+ years. Trading RT for K1300S

imeyers

Well after over 6 great years with the 05 RT i just made a deal to trade the RT in on a new 2012 K1300S with the Dynamic Package :clap: . I love the RT but its time to move on. Test rode a buddys K1200S and i was hooked after about 2 minutes. I always said i would only give up the RT for another BMW. Just hope i can keep my license clean with this one. Bike is waiting to clear customs. Should be ready in about 2-3 weeks.

CoarsegoldKid
just made a deal to trade the RT in on a new 2012 K1300S with the Dynamic Package :clap: . ...Should be ready in about 2-3 weeks.
Check for cracks!
Dennis Andress

Nice choice. It took me a couple of years to find out the bike does have a power band. It begins around 7K and continues to red line. You have to be in a really rural place before you can find it...

I used to have an 05 RT as well.... but currently on a 07 GT....I must say there are times I miss my RT. The GT is fast and smooth....but the RT was more comfortable. I am in the same boat and hope I can keep my license....A switch back to a R1200RT hasnt been ruled out yet.

K bikes: A refined vice, but a vice none the less.

The ranks of the straight laced hooligans welcome you, may the bike bring you much happiness.

Not to worried about ergos. Most of my rides are under 100 miles for the day. I know the rt is way more comfortable and I love the bike its just that I don't do any touring. More just fun afternoon rides. If I need a little more comfort I will add risers but for now want to enjoy the sport position while I am still young enough to.

Calvin  (no socks)

Have a Beta K12s in my stable since 05', 52k on it, never adjusted ergos, 1200+ mile days a snap, even with my carpal tunnel and

C-6 disc issues...love that bike!

Same here, I've done many circa 1200km days and have never felt the urge to change bars, seat or pegs.

Key is sitting on them correctly; bend at the hips, head up, some weight on your legs, forearms parallel with the road, no weight on the wrists.

Like that, you can ride them indefinitely.

Horsepower is intoxicating...

Having more than you need makes for a different riding experience than the RT.

I go back and forth between my bikes. Makes getting back on the K fun each time.

Have fun,

MB>

What would you all think are the pro and the cons to having the K bike over the RT. I was looking at the K1600GT but I love the boxer engine and the way it feels. Just wanted to see what all you had to say.

I go back and forth between my bikes. Makes getting back on the K fun each time.

Have fun,

MB>

N

I know what you mean having a R1200rt (wife bike) & a K1200s (girlfriend).... :grin:

Have fun,

MB>

That's one of the reasons for the trade up. I know it sounds silly but the I am used to the power of the RT. Not to say its a slow bike by any means, but twisting the throttle to the stop on the RT is just not as exciting as it once was. I don't want the S for its speed alone but for how effortlessly it does that speed in any gear. The two things I will miss the most are elec cruise control and the heated seat. I will always love the RT but my heart now belongs to a woman I will call S.

Be anxious to hear your feedback after you've had the K1300s for awhile. When I acquired the 02 ZZR my objective was to have a bike that was diametrically opposed to the HD. It was. It was a blast to ride and the acceleration was incredible. I did the risers, changed the seat and paid for all that fun with a sore back, wrists and neck after every ride. Your comment about short afternoon rides is key. I still wish I had the ZZR for those short afternoon rides...

Good luck and hang on.

K1300s is a few degrees more upright than the zzr but close. When I got the rt I planned on touring with the wife. Divorced now and do zero touring. Ride are limited to a couple of hours. Usually an hour out, lunch, then an hour back. If I did distance riding I would keep the rt forever.

(not directed at imeyers, just posting after)

Nobody should have sore wrists or back getting off a K1300S no matter how long the ride. If you do, your posture is incorrect.

• No weight on the wrists
  • Straight back
  • Bend at the hips
  • Forearms parallel with the road
  • Head up
  • Slight weight on the legs
  • Sit fully forward, grip with thighs

Like that, I can, have and do ride all day for a week or more at a time with no ill effects whatsoever. They are not an uncomfortable machine when used correctly. If you try to sit like you do on an RT or even worse a cruiser, it'll cripple you and you'll have marginal control at best.

Paul,

Granted I've never owned or ridden a K1300S (donations accepted incidently)I tried every conceivable position imaginable on the ZZR post confort modifications. What I didn't mention is I'm 62 and that may have something to do with it.

Wayne

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so i have had the K1300S for about 3 weeks now. All i can say is what an incredible machine. The bike is absolutely addicting. The riding position is perfect for me and i have no discomfort whatsoever. The power this bike has is truly amazing. No matter what gear or where you are on the tach, just twist and hold on. The ESA 2 is much better than the ESA 1 on my 05 RT. This bike actually rides better then that one did in comfort mode. Put it in sport and it feels like a dedicated track bike almost. I ended up getting the HP limited edition version of the bike. Only 750 worldwide. The exhaust and carbon fiber grabbed me. I just fell in love with it.

dz3ud.jpg

ynowl.jpg

japzs.jpg

fruix.jpg

gz93q.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
The riding position is perfect for me and i have no discomfort whatsoever.

What's the longest day (Miles and time)you have spent on the bike?

Shawn

Have not done a long ride just yet. Maybe 50 miles. Was fine. I like the positioning. Most of my rides are no more than 80-100 miles so its perfect. If I was doing long trips I would never have given up my rt. Comfort wise the rt is leaps and bounds better. But I did not buy a 175hp sport bike for comfort. One thing is that in its class there is nothing coming close to the comfort of the S. What you get when you twist the throttle makes you forget all about the extra comfort of the rt. Not putting the rt down at all. You just can't even compare the two bikes. They are totally different animals. Both excelling at what they do best.

Well after over 6 great years with the 05 RT i just made a deal to trade the RT in on a new 2012 K1300S with the Dynamic Package :clap: . I love the RT but its time to move on. Test rode a buddys K1200S and i was hooked after about 2 minutes. I always said i would only give up the RT for another BMW. Just hope i can keep my license clean with this one. Bike is waiting to clear customs. Should be ready in about 2-3 weeks.

I live in both worlds and once thought my '04 KRS could replace my '02 RT by giving me something sporty with the ability to go cross country. I later upgraded to the K12S but kept the RT because, well, it just does so many things so darned good. I do some long day rides on the K bike and have factory luggage plus a duffel bag for overnight trips but have yet to take one, maybe this is the year. Anyway, with respect to your license all I can say is this; all my MC-riding tickets have been earned on the RT. I've been pulled over three times while riding the K bike and and each time was let go with a warning (one of those times was after doing 67 in a 35 zone). Make of that what you want but please DO consider it a warning.

On the K-S you really gotta watch your speed. Before you know it you look down and you are doing 85-90. The more i ride it the more i am falling in love with it. I just realized after 6 years that i am not a touring rider. I will always love the RT but for me the K is the right bike. Definitely not the right bike for everyone though. However to anyone who has not ridden one, if you can arrange a test ride do it just to experience this machine. Its that good. IMHO.

Very nice looking bike. :) Good choice with the HP!

I've never liked in-line 4s, all the sports bikes I've ridden have been really annoying and buzzy (although seriously fast!), and have no guts below 8k. I've heard nothing but praise for the K12/13s though, which apparently has a lot more torque low down compared to the Japanese equivalents. Maybe a machine to persuade me away from the boxer engine? Not yet, but maybe in the future.

Very nice looking bike. :) Good choice with the HP!

I've never liked in-line 4s, all the sports bikes I've ridden have been really annoying and buzzy (although seriously fast!), and have no guts below 8k. I've heard nothing but praise for the K12/13s though, which apparently has a lot more torque low down compared to the Japanese equivalents. Maybe a machine to persuade me away from the boxer engine? Not yet, but maybe in the future.

No matter what rpm or gear this bike pulls like like a freight train on steroids. The low end power is ridiculous. I don't think even an s1000rr could compete in the lower rpms. I came from the 05 rt and while that engine has good power and torque it cannot even hold a candle to the K1300S motor. The K is so much smoother and so much more powerful. They say the boxer has character and that is true but one twist of the right grip on a 1300s and you won't be thinking about that character for long. This is no 600 or 1000cc screamer. Its a whole other animal.

A facet of the K I like is the whole package, brakes and suspension.

Going fast is cool, but haveing the brakes and suspension

puts the bike ahead of many others, IMO>

YMMV

The suspension is incredible but I have never tried the esa ii on the newer rt. The handling is phenomenal. Not 1000cc sport bike sharp but dam close enough. A hayabusa and zx14 may be faster top end, and the 1000 and 600 bikes are sharper handlers but none of them even come close to giving you the full package that this does. I had my eye on this bike since the 05 K12S came out. If you do a ton of touring the rt is the bike though. The brakes are the hardest best stopping I ever felt on a motorcycle. Not that I have ridden everything but I have ridden my fair share of bikes. Its like throwing an anchor off the back of the bike.

Nobody should have sore wrists or back getting off a K1300S no matter how long the ride. If you do, your posture is incorrect.

• Straight back
  • Bend at the hips
  • Head up

Like that, I can, have and do ride all day for a week or more at a time with no ill effects whatsoever. They are not an uncomfortable machine when used correctly. If you try to sit like you do on an RT or even worse a cruiser, it'll cripple you and you'll have marginal control at best.

I'm interested in more info on the above techniques, particularly "forearms parallel with the road" and "slight weight on the legs". At the moto-ergos website, the only way I could find to get my forearms parallel to the road is to lean forward. Is that how you achive this technique? How exactly do you put "slight weight on the legs"? I am intrigued by the K13S, but the riding position freaks me out. If it's a matter of education, that's one thing. I think I am well built for a bike like this (long arms and short legs) with the exception of my gut rubbing a spot on the fuel tank. A local dealer has offered me an extended test ride (36 hours, less than 250 miles) on one if I was interested. How do I say "no" to that?

• Straight back
  • Bend at the hips
  • Head up

I'm interested in more info on the above techniques, particularly "forearms parallel with the road" and "slight weight on the legs". At the moto-ergos website, the only way I could find to get my forearms parallel to the road is to lean forward. Is that how you achive this technique? How exactly do you put "slight weight on the legs"? I am intrigued by the K13S, but the riding position freaks me out. If it's a matter of education, that's one thing. I think I am well built for a bike like this (long arms and short legs) with the exception of my gut rubbing a spot on the fuel tank. A local dealer has offered me an extended test ride (36 hours, less than 250 miles) on one if I was interested. How do I say "no" to that?

Definitely agree. You CANNOT sit on it like the rt. He is 100% right. If you sit on it right it is pretty comfortable. As stated above, I also found that transferring a little weight to my legs made a world of difference. Ironically my hand use to go numb on the rt within a short period of time. Has not happened yet on the K. Go figure. Took a couple of rides to figure it all out. Go for that test ride, but beware, your wallet will not like you very much after.

Paul,

Granted I've never owned or ridden a K1300S (donations accepted incidently)I tried every conceivable position imaginable on the ZZR post confort modifications. What I didn't mention is I'm 62 and that may have something to do with it.

Wayne

Wayne, I don't believe that age has anything to do with it. I put over 15,000 miles on my K1200RS on a trip in 2010 and plan on celebrating my 67th birthday riding my first documented 1000 mile day on my way out to the MOA and UnRally this summer.

I believe that you must be physically fit (strong core muscles) and utilize the riding position outlined by Paul, and others on this board, to enjoy the K bikes for touring. Smiles, miles, and more miles and smiles. :)

• Straight back
  • Bend at the hips
  • Head up

Use your legs and core so you could effectively take your hands off the grips and your body would remain in the same poition. Easier if you have some grippers on the side of the tank (the 12S is not good for this) to grip with your knees.

You can't say no to that! ;)

• Straight back
  • Bend at the hips
  • Head up

Master Yoda's Riding Position

Andy

Thanks, Andy. This is a great article. Do you thiink it applies to the K13S even though it was written for the K12RS and its less aggressive riding position? My impreesion is that the K13S is closer to a sport bike than a sport tourer. That might be the RT rider in me thinking that.

Same for K12/13S and the same for my r12ST and R12S (which is more agressive than the K13S.

This is the only way to put serious miles on a forward leaning sport bike. If you practice it every day for an hour or two, your core muscles will strengthen and you won't even notice the effort after a week or two.

I was basic Boxer 60-70-80-90-00's, mostly sit up and beg position.

Moved to an RSL boxer in 200X and took about 500 miles before I realised how much more comfortable I was, no weight on tailbone, ez on the back.

MYRP is my goal, being long (esp arms) there are some adjustments, but I find it difficult to sit upright on most bikes, now.

GS a bit more tolerable than other boxers, for me.

We love our K.

YMMV

Archived