IGNORED

Airhorn maintenance?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Am I supposed to do anything, annually perhaps, to keep my airhorns working? They sound a bit anemic. The power is good, but the compressor is slow to respond and I'm better off without them. Is there anything I'm supposed to oil for example?

Calvin  (no socks)

Steve, I have had air horns on some vehicles in the past. As the compressor ages it takes longer to build up to pressure. The delay is noticeable and led me to remove the units...I want instant action.... grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

Have had a Pep Boys airhorn kit on my bike for 80K miles now. No maintenance, they still work fine. The trumpets point forward and down, and get plenty of water during rain-rides and when the bike gets washed. So far they're still fine.

I did follow the installation guide in the FAQ here, putting a modified spraypaint can lid over the top of the compressor as a dust/rain cover. Maybe that's helped extend compressor life?

Am I supposed to do anything, annually perhaps, to keep my airhorns working? They sound a bit anemic. The power is good, but the compressor is slow to respond and I'm better off without them. Is there anything I'm supposed to oil for example?

I just pressurize the engine guard on my Harley with a $10 CH air compressor regulated by a 130/150 psi pressure switch. A solenoid wired to the horn circuit routes air to the trumpets. No lag and more consistent than the rotary compressor.

A wee dab of oil on the edges of the rotor blades inside the pump?? Some of them had a type of air filter in the air intake hole....may need cleaning/replacement. Cold weather will slow things down a bit too....

Pat

Archived