IGNORED

Hand guards from GS to RT?

Isettanut

Is is possible to install hand guards from a current GS on a 05RT? I have Gerbings heated gloves and of course heated grips. If it is say 20 degrees F after a half hour or so the tips of my thumbs get cold. I used the hand guards on the 1994 R1100RS, stock items from BMW for the GS. Very effective in the rain and or cold. Other than the thumbs I stay warm and look forward to cold rides. It is a personal challenge. confused.gif Leon

Hi Leon,

I think it would be a challenge, the inside mount of the guards on the 12GS screw to a special protrusion on the switch ass'y.

Still, take a run over to our place in KC sometime and we'll compare!

Gadget Magnet

It won't work because the interior mount near the mirrors has been changed and unlike the 1150 models, the GS now has transparent brake and hydraulic fluid reservoirs, whereas the 1200RT are integrated into the controls, as they were on the 1150. Handguards would probably work on the 1200ST, with maybe some mods to the outside hole, if that. I thought on the RT, the fairing and mirror pods deflected much of the wind off the rider's hands.

I'm amazed at the difference in wind and weather protection between the GT and the RT. I can ride to work in 26 degree weather (with the Gerbings on o' course) without any hassle whatsoever! I used to stop riding when the temps. hit 30. No more! It's like night and day. thumbsup.gif To keep on track, how about hippo hands? That way you could take 'em off in the summer.

The 12GS and 12RT grips and switch gear are different.. However the 12RT switch gear and grips are the same as the 1150GS items.. I had run 1100\1150 GS handguards on my 1150RS and it works out fine.. You need to trim the inside portion of the hand guard and mount using zip ties, as the GS item mounts with a bracket made for a round bar.

Craig

If your route to work is like most folks with moderate to heavy traffic, then 26 deg. F is a snap.But 80 MPH on I-70 is a different matter. The discomfort in the thum whould be caused by the fact that the thum points forward therfore allowing the heat created by the gerbings to be carried away faster than it can be replaced. The cold sort of creeps in slowly. Any way thats my story and I wont change it. Thanks for all the inputs. I will check out the options mentioned. Leon 12RT ( As side note I run the gloves off of the jacket liner. As the liner gets too toasty too quick I seldome turn it up fully. So my other option would be a seperate controller for the gloves with the wires in the sleeves. Been there,done that. The guards would be the better solution.)

The discomfort in the thum whould be caused by the fact that the thum points forward therfore allowing the heat created by the gerbings to be carried away faster than it can be replaced.

Gerbings used to offer "Adding" heat elements tot he thumb area of their gloves.. Apparently there isn't that much there to start. I sent mine in 2 years agom to have the addition made and it does improve the heat to the thumb area..

Craig

Is is possible to install hand guards from a current GS on a 05RT? I have Gerbings heated gloves and of course heated grips. If it is say 20 degrees F after a half hour or so the tips of my thumbs get cold. I used the hand guards on the 1994 R1100RS, stock items from BMW for the GS. Very effective in the rain and or cold. Other than the thumbs I stay warm and look forward to cold rides. It is a personal challenge. confused.gif Leon

since it seems to be the mirros providing the wind protection for your hands (at least on my 1150RT), could you not add some sort of "spoiler" to the mirror to deflect more air and create a larger pocket?

Hmmmmm, may have to go out to the shop and tinker with this...

Archived