IGNORED

Footpeg Lowering

echo

Im considering buying an R1100Rt and want to lower the footpegs. Can anyone with any experience with the lowering kits availible from Bobs, MV etc kindly relate any experience you may have with these kits and how they worked? Thanks!

Paul

Michael Fajans

I got mine from Suburban Machinery. Did both rider and passenger. 15 minutes per pair at the most to do. However chances are you'll want to lower your gear shift lever with a part, also available from the same company, that requires the removal of the left footpeg plate. My recollection is that that took less than an hour. You'll want to make sure that shifter does not bottom out in the opening in the plate. My understanding is that on the 1100RT's that adjustment can be made with the plate installed. It requires a little more work with 1150's (what I have.) There are torque specs that come into play when reinstalling that plate.

I have the Suburban Machinery lowering kit on my 1100 and it works well. My knees don't hurt as much as they used to and feels much more comfortable. I did not change the shifter location and have no issues with it. The pegs do touch down more often than before but, I'm used to that.

Michael Fajans

I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam. With the lowered pegs and (Russell)seat in the highest position I was rarely uncomfortable this summer over 9000 miles. I think every inch of room matters. What I don't understand is how I was able to put on over 100,000 miles on my R69S without knee surgery.

I am about 6'2" and had hip pain on long rides on the RT as delivered. The Suburban Machinery rider peg lowering kit eliminated the discomfort entirely. I did not get the modified shift lever and still occasionally miss gear 1 to gear 2 upshifts -- embarrassing but no other ill effects. Probably would be a good bet to buy the modified lever if you go this route.

Hey echo, I'm selling my 1100RT and took the suburban machinery kit off. PM me if you are interested. And yes, I did notice a difference with them on and the position of my feet...alot easier on the knees also.

Archived