IGNORED

F bike?

dazzz

So I'm in Costa Rica with a terrible email device. A local friend called and gave me sketchy details about his f650 2000 Funduro. I won't be able to talk to him or see the bike again until weeks end. I'm just asking for the first thing that pops into your mind. Don't know when I will be able to see responses. Thanks ahead of time.

He has replaced voltage regulators three times. He thinks the bike is overcharging, ruins the regulator and burns up the battery. By the time I see the bike I will have a VOM. Thanks amigos. I'll report back when I'm in the States.

Evening Dazzz

I believe that the F650 uses a shunting type regulator. Basically a rectifier/regulator in one that shunts the excess current to ground to control voltage.

So, given what I know about shunt type rectifier/regulators the problems usually comes in about 3 forms.

HEAT- poor air flow at the regulator area, or very dirt regulator cooling fins, or high current output from the stator that produces excess heat in the regulator.

EXCESS CURRENT it has to control- things like lack of use of the stator output. Or running without lights on or other lack of power usage forcing the regulator to shunt excess current to ground.

HIGH CURRENT OUTPUT- from the engine stator that needs controlling. I have seen a few stators (not on the F650 though) with burnt & shorted windings. That can lead to lower voltage output but with higher current that needs to be managed by the regulator.

-So make sure the battery is good & has a GOOD CLEAN connection to the bikes electrics. If the battery is not acting as a system stabilizer the current across the regulator can vary & increase substantially.

-Make sure the regulator has good clean wire terminals connecting it into the system (resistance at that point can take a regulator out in short order). Also make sure the regulator has a good solid & clean ground connection.

-If nothing found in the regulator connections, the regulator grounding, & the battery is good then you might have to inspect the stator for shorting or burnt spots. You might find the problem (if it even has one) by measuring resistance between the stator output legs on a very hot stator winding. All legs should be somewhat equal & if you can find the data within reason of the test resistance.

VR problems on the classic F650s are very common. It is located under the seat in zero airflow. The best solution is to relocate the VR. I shortened the airbox rubber snorkel intake and placed the VR just behind it. The wiring was long enough to work without modification. The wiring harness between the stator and VR should be checked for wire and connector condition, it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it with larger wire. The www.f650.com FAQs has a lot of good information on this problem, including alternate VRs.

VR problems on the classic F650s are very common. It is located under the seat in zero airflow. The best solution is to relocate the VR. I shortened the airbox rubber snorkel intake and placed the VR just behind it. The wiring was long enough to work without modification. The wiring harness between the stator and VR should be checked for wire and connector condition, it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it with larger wire. The www.f650.com FAQs has a lot of good information on this problem, including alternate VRs.

+1 !

A friend of mine placed his regulator inside the low engine guard, lots of air in there while riding ;)

Dan.

Not a happy ending! Can't be sure it's fixed. Ground, 3 battery connections, etc. cleaned and retightend. All seems bright and tight. Good readings on the vom. VR moved into air. All looks good. Some connections seemed dull and not too tight. BUT.....

When me compadre put the key in for a trial run (with a volt meter mounted to his tank bag) the ignition key malfunctioned. Little red plastic parts came out of the key slot! His key no longer works. No turn but it feels like all is ok. He can't turn the bike on.

I'll report back when I know more. Work is at a standstill.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Leaving Costa Rica soon. Bike charging as should. Owner had lock and key man take the ignition switch off and get bad loose pieces out. Man worked for over an hour. Cost 1500 colonies in CR money. Equals three dollars US. It's like another country here!

Final update: So prolly the regulator problem was really a ground problem. After cleaning everything bright and shiny and with a volt meter on the tank bag the problem was eliminated. However, as sometimes happens, there is another problem. Rough running at mid-range with lack of power (maybe). The plug color looked great. But that's the end of the story since I'm back in the snowy north after three weeks in paradise. If my buddy stumbles onto the problem soon I will report back. He continues to ride it as is. I wish I could help but......

Archived