IGNORED

R1200RT Mods

luvALX

OK, coming from a cruiser background, now that I have a new bike, the first think that I thought about is "what mods do I want to do to the bike?". It is a long winter and it is something to keep me busy. However, I am trying to resist the urge, as the BMW seems to be so good out of the box.

That being said, what mods are the most typical for an R1200RT?

Putting a new seat on seems to be the most common with any bike, but after that? I haven't been any good sites for accessories or mods on the internet. Suggestions would be helpful.

Also, are the cylinder protectors useful? I don't ever want to find out myself. I have been very fortunate (knock on wood),but I have never dropped a bike, and if the first one is the new BMW, I want to do as little damage as possible. Are their frame sliders for the R1200RT?

I know, questions, questions. Thanks in advance.

The frame sliders are commonly called "valve covers" and "integrated (luggage) cases". smirk.gif

Several versions of valve cover protectors are available. Be warned, though, that adding valve cover protectors means that every time you adjust the valves 90% of the body panels (tupperware) must be uninstalled and reinstalled. This adds considerable time to a simple job.

Fortunately I have not discovered the rear contact point with the "integrated cases" removed.

OK, coming from a cruiser background, now that I have a new bike, the first think that I thought about is "what mods do I want to do to the bike?". It is a long winter and it is something to keep me busy. However, I am trying to resist the urge, as the BMW seems to be so good out of the box.

Putting a new seat on seems to be the most common with any bike, but after that? I haven't been any good sites for accessories or mods on the internet. Suggestions would be helpful.

Also, are the cylinder protectors useful? I don't ever want to find out myself. I have been very fortunate (knock on wood),but I have never dropped a bike, and if the first one is the new BMW, I want to do as little damage as possible. Are their frame sliders for the R1200RT?

I know, questions, questions. Thanks in advance.

Cylinder protectors YES.

I also like the ELF-pegs, the kind that fit in the spark plug wire groove on the end of the valve cover. (I actually have a second set of these that I got for my GS for sale over in the 'classified' forum if you are interested.)

I think the plastic BMW cylinder protectors are fine. There is also an aluminum set that costs about twice as much.

..also, a lot of folks add more power outlets. Since the CAN-bus limits the total wattage, a popular mod is to add a powerlet socket wired direct to the battery with an inline 15-amp fuse.

I did that, plus hard-wired my Gerbing heat controller to the battery.

One more thing.. the BMW tankbag for this bike is a good one (for a change) and to my mind, worth the money.

One more thing.. the BMW tankbag for this bike is a good one (for a change) and to my mind, worth the money.

Already have that on my Christmas list!

1. Aerostich or Cee baily windscreen

2. COrbin, Russell, Wunderlich or Meyer Seat. Im partial to corbin and wunderlich

3. I actually got Wunderlich enginge guard bars to protect those jutting cyclnder heads. I went down on my wing, and most of the damage was absorbed by the engine/ saddlebag guards.

Archived