IGNORED

critical question

SeYia Greece

Hi

Today, after the valve setting, trying to put the little plug, back to hole where i see the Top Dead Center (TDC), I dropped piece of the plug (cap) in the housing of the machine. I guess there is the flywheel .. The truth is that I did a little ride and everything seems to Normal .. Did I start to worry;

Sorry for my english..

That is a common thing to do and it causes no problems. The plug drops to the bottom of the housing and does no damage. There is a gap of at least 50mm down there. Mine has been in there for about four years now. I used some aluminium tape to cover the hole.

Andy

Galactic Greyhound
That is a common thing to do and it causes no problems. The plug drops to the bottom of the housing and does no damage. There is a gap of at least 50mm down there. Mine has been in there for about four years now. I used some aluminium tape to cover the hole.

Andy

I too had problems putting the plug back and nearly lost it down the hole. I eventually used the end of a long extension bar about the same diameter as the hole to tap it into position - the bar needs to be at least the same diameter as the hole otherwise the plug could still get tapped through.

I had considered just leaving the plug out but eventually came to the decision that the hole should be kept sealed to prevent road grit/water getting onto the clutch splines and causing wear/corrosion.

Andy

I too had problems putting the plug back and nearly lost it down the hole. I eventually used the end of a long extension bar about the same diameter as the hole to tap it into position - the bar needs to be at least the same diameter as the hole otherwise the plug could still get tapped through.

I had considered just leaving the plug out but eventually came to the decision that the hole should be kept sealed to prevent road grit/water getting onto the clutch splines and causing wear/corrosion.

The plug for an airhead fits, had a larger flange and is harder to push through the hole. I also cut a slit and added a ziptie to ease insertion and removal.

When I bought my RT, used, it already had a little piece of string attached thru the plug - makes it easier to deal with - I use a set of needle nose pliers to latch onto the string as I work the plug into the hole.

Hi

Today, after the valve setting, trying to put the little plug, back to hole where i see the Top Dead Center (TDC), I dropped piece of the plug (cap) in the housing of the machine. I guess there is the flywheel .. The truth is that I did a little ride and everything seems to Normal .. Did I start to worry;

Sorry for my english..

For future reference, when you adjust the valves, to make sure that you are on TDC compression stroke, just watch the 2 arrows on the cam sprocket to be horizontal, like <---( O )---> and you are set.

Remember both rocker arms must have play when adjusting the valves, that's the sign that you are on compression stroke @ TDC.

Dan.

Hi

Sorry for my english..

For future reference, when you adjust the valves, to make sure that you are on TDC compression stroke, just watch the 2 arrows on the cam sprocket to be horizontal, like <---( O )---> and you are set.

Remember both rocker arms must have play when adjusting the valves, that's the sign that you are on compression stroke @ TDC.

Dan.

This is the best way i think

If your going to get a new plug when you insert it use the old universal lubricant "spit" on it and it will slide into the hole with less force being necessary and therefore less likley to push through again...

Archived