IGNORED

HID lights into K1300S

plext

While we don't have a lot of K bikes, I figured this may be of interest to somebody.

What you need:

K1300S

HID conversion kit(s)

T25 Torx driver

Drill with 28mm speedbore

Cable ties

Something to cut cable ties

Multimeter (optional)

zes1X.jpg

What you are fitting:

As you can see, it's a fair bit larger than your average H7 globe, we are going to need to do some packaging.

XSKM5.jpg

First task is to remove the side covers, there are eight fasteners on these. Ensure you keep them in order as they are not all the same length.

CRHvd.jpg

vw7Hz.jpg

There is no need to remove the fastener marked with the cross

ETgg1.jpg

The exposed work surface

xVeoV.jpg

Next task is to get at the globe we are changing. Access to these live in the fairing, under the instrument cluster.

fTXGu.jpg

Remove the cover by turning anti-clockwise and expose the assembly

PVr5l.jpg

Disconnect the globe by pulling back on the connector, it is designed to not just fall off so needs a little pressure, but don't yank at it. Firm steady pull please people. Leave the connector hanging out of the headlight assembly for future reference as they are a fair sod to retrieve if you let them fall in (guess who did this?). Then unfasten the globe retaining clips and remove the globe.

YTFPw.jpg

It is important with HID ballasts to know which wire is positive and which is negative, a manual will tell you this as will the internet, but I always like to confirm with a multimeter. For our purposes, brown is negative.

bOmBp.jpg

We need a 28mm hole in the cover to allow the new wiring loom and sealing grommet. I find it best to use a speed bore at very low speed for a clean result. Note that the manufacturer states that a 25mm hole is needed, but I found that this was not quite big enough to allow the connectors through. The seal is not impaired by the larger hole, I have had two of my globes done for around six months now and have had no issues whatsoever.

08VUj.jpg

Fit up the HID assembly to the newly holed cover ensuring that the grommet is seated properly to give a good seal. Note that the cover is still on the HID globe, it is vital not to touch this element or get any debris on it, leave it on until the last minute.

ryAVA.jpg

YnVMa.jpg

The two spade connectors on the HID assembly are plugged directly into the globe connector which we didn't drop into the headlight assembly earlier. Naturally enough, red is positive, black negative.

9zTTi.jpg

Now comes what is easily the most fiddly task, at least if like me you have comedy oversized hands and fingers. Remove the cover from the HID element carefully (cut the screw on part with your handy tin snips), ensuring that you do not touch the element directly. Insert the element with the white exposed wire part to the bottom and re-engage the globe securing clips once it is all aligned correctly. It's a fair sod to be honest, but if I can pull it off with my clumsy finger, I suggest just about anybody can. Once complete, tuck in the globe connector and wiring, then replace the cap.

89IZM.jpg

Thead the wires down inside the fairing, heading for the area you have selected for the ballast. Room is tight in here and always remain mindful of the workings of the steering and suspension, you don't want wires in the way of any of this, the wires will lose badly in any contest. It's not a difficult job, just be careful is the motto here. Cable tie as you go to to ensure neatness and that the wires will stay where they are supposed to. The kit comes with a couple of cable ties, you'll need a lot more.

Once having threaded the wires to your ballast site, connect the ballast, attach it, then tidy up the wiring with more cable ties to keep things from getting rattly. The kit supplies a mounting bracket for the ballast, but I have chosen to cable tie to the frame rather than drill. Completely up to you.

tjEU2.jpg

Test the lights now. It would be painful at the very least to get everything reassembled to find that you omitted a connection....

Assuming all is well, you can now put the side panel back on and admire your new lighting. I also replaced the little parking globe with an LED so as have all lights conform in colour.

6oZXU.jpg

This is in my opinion one of the best modifications you can make to these machines, the difference in illumination really has to be seen to be believed and in the case of the K1300S at least, does not make for horribly dazzling lights. I have had no complaints in the form of flashing since doing the main beam six months ago and I routinely ride at night.

Allow about 1 hout per globe as a rule of thumb and you won't be far off.

Well done Paul. I have the three conversion kits to do this in 55W(?). Just never seem to get a round tuit. Am going to Tamworth for the weekend in March so I better get cracking before them. (Had to look where Boro is).

You're not Robinson Crusoe there mate, I've never met anyone who does not live here who knows where it is; even a Highway Patrol member based from Goulburn who had delayed me to discuss my velocity had no idea and Goulburn is only 50km away.

I can commend finding the tuit before Tamworth. We have seemingly no end of kangaroos and wombats hereabouts and I quite often find myself heading home in the wee small hours. The lights have been a revelation and a bit of a frightener; the amount of 'roos I see now is amazing and I have to accept the fact that there has not been a sudden population boom, the bastards were always there but I just didn't see them!

Did my RT two years ago. Got flashed twice, the very first car a 1/4 mile out of my driveway on a pitch-black section of road on the first night riding them. Second one was last week from across an intersection with a slight uphill grade for he and I.

Done nearly 15K miles since the upgrade. As the OP said, "one of the best modifications you can make". I wholeheartedly agree. Every vehicle I buy from now on will have this done immediately.

• 5 years later...
Grenville Davies

Hi Paul,

I originally come from NSW but now I live on Bribie Island and no, I have not converted to a Queenslander, even my car has Tropical Qld plates with the rego "NSW 05"! If you are even remotely interested in Bathurst you will know the number.

Anyway I saw your article on installing HID lights into the K1300S, a bike I purchased in 2012. I have recently purchased three HID lights in two separate kits to do the conversion as I am about to head to Philip Island come October, which will be the second trip for the bike and me. The last time I was down there I remember the difficulty in seeing enough of the road between major towns and it gets very dark mate!

All that is missing from your artucle is the installation pictures, maybe because the article is quite out of date and the images do not stay up long? I was wondering if you still have the images and what would be the most simplistic way for me to obtain them, assuming you do and are willing to part with them?

Cheers mate,

Grenville

Dennis Andress

I'm not familiar with the article you mentioned. I had HID ligts on my K13S, but, sorry, no pictures.

I mounted the HID module on the top, right of the belly pan and routed the wiring along the inside of the right fairing mount.

I also had a pair of PIAA 1100x spots mounted low on the forks. On a dark night the PIAAs reached out about as far as the high bean would, and the HID lit up everything close in.

My wife and I each had a K13S. We installed two different HID systems on her bike and the both died within a couple of months. Please be cautious and install your's early enough ahead of your trip to get some run in time. If you can't get the HID installed in time, the PIAAs and stock lighting would be a good compromise.

Grenville Davies

Sorry Dennis.

This was a post to the handle "plext", from the board and his location he lives in Boro, New South Wales, Australia, about 50km from the town of Goulburn. He posted an article with a bunch of images that are no longer visible on the forum. It was these that I am interested in.

Sorry for the confusion. :(

Grenville

Edited by Grenville Davies
Grenville Davies

Paul,

I am curiously more than aware that things you don't see may not necessarily harm you! However, bloody kangaroos and wombats that waddle out from the bush are some of the most frightening things one can see. This is from an impact with a roo just outside of Cessnock, just on dusk on my old K100RS - the loony time for these unpredictable bouncing moronic creatures. I was very fortunate and came off with two bent forks and can only say that someone was looking after me. The roo was not so lucky and bounced a hell of a lot more than the fence it jumped over a second beforehand, as if it wasn't there - bugger!

I have ordered HID replacements to combat said wombats and roos lurking on the side of the road ready to scare the bejeesus out of any poor unsuspecting rider. The better the lighting the better chance of braking hard or taking evasive action, preferably a different road entirely!

I hope you are still part of the forum and are able to answer my earlier request for images of your instal, but if not, no problems as I think I may be on the right track now. Maybe I will try to go through Boro on the way back from the Island and hope to catch a glimpse of a red K1300S, not too many around on our roads. But I definetly want to avoid any wallopers (on bike or in cars) looking to ask stupid questions about speed and such! "How the hell would I know Officer! I was looking into the mirk for bloody kangaroos and wombats not policemen hiding, pointing speed checking implements (read guns) at poor bike riders!" :)

Cheers, Grenville

Edited by Grenville Davies