IGNORED

Outside temp flashing on F800ST

Mitch1352

I rode my son's '07ST to work today and all was well. 45 degrees but my Gerbings jacket and gloves were not needed. I left the precinct tonight at a balmy 31 degrees and the outside temp was flashing on the display screen. I plugged in my jacket and gloves but they did not come on. I unplugged them and rode home. Bike rode fine...no electrical issues at all. What would cause the flashing?

Cold weather. They display is letting you know to be aware for ice/black ice/cold weather.

As for the heated gear not coming on, that would most likely be the fact you are using the stock BMW accessory socket which is not capable of supporting what you are attempting to run. Bypassing and running either the socket or another lead direct to battery is the only work around. The stock socket is ZFE controlled and is rated for 5 amps. When it senses an over voltage issue it shuts the circuit down.

Cold weather. They display is letting you know to be aware for ice/black ice/cold weather.

As for the heated gear not coming on, that would most likely be the fact you are using the stock BMW accessory socket which is not capable of supporting what you are attempting to run. Bypassing and running either the socket or another lead direct to battery is the only work around. The stock socket is ZFE controlled and is rated for 5 amps. When it senses an over voltage issue it shuts the circuit down.

Yup. On my RT I can run the Gerbings liner off the factory outlet just fine. Add the gloves & it shuts off. I have an accessory panel kit ready to install through the Centech block when I get the bike back.

That's what the manual said. It begs the question as to why BMW would make the temp flash to let you know that it is cold out. I mean, isn't it obvious??? Anyway, I got that figured out.

About my liner, does the circuit need to be restarted by the dealer, or is it a temporary thing that corrects itself?

That's what the manual said. It begs the question as to why BMW would make the temp flash to let you know that it is cold out. I mean, isn't it obvious??? Anyway, I got that figured out.

About my liner, does the circuit need to be restarted by the dealer, or is it a temporary thing that corrects itself?

Disconnect the gloves, shut the ignition off for a few seconds, & it will reset. You'll be good to go after that. Your liner will work fine, just don't plug in the gloves.

But yeah, why do I need a snowflake icon on the dash to tell me it's cold out? That's what the weather channel is for.

Just in case, this time of year riding in Maryland countryside between dips and turns and low and high and shady and sunny spots, I've seen variations of to 15 degrees, like between 30 and 45, some way off the temps of the weather forecast.

The stock socket is ZFE controlled and is rated for 5 amps. When it senses an over voltage issue it shuts the circuit down.

Actually that should read...

When it senses an over current issue it shuts the circuit down.

I noticed the temp flashes at less that 38 degrees. It stops flashing at 32 and holds solid until you go above or below 32 then it flashes again.

It's just BMW's way of telling you to go home and get warm. Comforting, no?

The stock socket is ZFE controlled and is rated for 5 amps. When it senses an over voltage issue it shuts the circuit down.

Actually that should read...

When it senses an over current issue it shuts the circuit down.

Yup, correctamundo. :dopeslap::dopeslap:

Yup, correctamundo. :dopeslap::dopeslap:

OMG!!! Did Phil get something wrong? Say it ain't so! It's not possible! :rofl:

Bike's still in the shop for another final drive I see.

Archived