IGNORED

airhawk seat

wolcott

called up Derby Cycles on proper airhawk seat for a

'98 r1100rt. The rep there was unusure of the proper applicaton. He said to measure it. The table on their site gives a "medium" for an r1100rt, which is about 14" X 14". When I measure seat though, I get over 14 x 14. 1) Has anyone put an airhawk seat on their RT, and do they remember the correct size? I am probably not measuring the seat correctly. 2) Impressions on the airhawk- good, great,mediocre? Thanks in advance, Michael with a sore ass!

Hi Michael,

Ah, the Airhawk - love thy bum!

My Airhawk is a MEDIUM and has been used extensively. Hope this picture gives you some idea of the fit.

dublinferry.jpg

Cheers

Lawrence

John Bellantonio

Michael,

Say hello to the Airhawk and say goodbye to sore butt. The size medium fits my Sergeant Seat very well. The trick to effective comfort with the Airhawk is using as little air as possible that will cushion and support your rear for the long ride. I obtained mine from Derby. Good service. I won't think of a ride without my Airhawk. It does take some getting used to due to being less connected to the bike. At first, with just alittle too much air I felt like the bike was somewhat out of control under me. Now after finding the right amount of air I find the comfort very enjoyable and it has solved the sore butt problem for me. For some reason my RT even with a nice Sergeant Saddle would make my butt sore after awhile. This is simply not an issue for me any longer.

ditto on everything said; I've actually put off buying a Russell "Day-Long" for 2 yrs now since I've been so satisfied on my day-long rides with the AirHawk and the BMW Comfort seat.

small tip; I borrowed some of my wife's carpet runner tacky fabric to lay an outline of the fabric under the AirHawk...helps to stick somewhat better, although it adheres fine as is.

Your bum will thank you... wink.gif

Thanks for your help on the airhawk seat. My skinny ass on that stock BMW seat is like torture after a couple of hours. I will be ordering one. Thanks again, Michael

My skinny ass on that stock BMW seat is like torture after a couple of hours.

I don't mean to get personal but we are talking about our butts. Have you tried bicycle tights/shorts instead of regular underwear. The difference is quite amazing. Butt soreness is usually from lack of circulation and chaffing. Bicycle shorts (seamless) fix the chaffing problem like you can't beleive. And it works even better with my eh-hem hairy butt.

I've done comfortable 1000 mile days using my stock comfort seat (it was standard on my model) and bicycle shorts. YMMV.

For the circulation issue, I'm experimenting with those beaded seats but will not know until summer. Besides I don't think they will work on my skinny ass.

quote]

For the circulation issue, I'm experimenting with those beaded seats but will not know until summer. Besides I don't think they will work on my skinny ass.

And you'll look like a taxi cab driver ;)

I agree with the bike shorts. I have used a medium airhawk and the cycle shorts for my longer tour runs for the last 2 years. Make sure your shorts are on the big side; nothing like cutting circulation off in your legs to screw up a good days ride. Keep watching e-bay I bought an Airhawk for about $100 from Airhawk factory direct. Airhawk is an excellent product... don't leave home without it. I haven't used a beaded seat so I can't tell you the difference between Beads and the Airhawk. Good luck and good riding!

Archived