IGNORED

RCU Bar Backs and Cruise Control on K 1200GT

jdcarroll

Recently I had a problem with my Cruise Control on my GT. My Dealer told me it was the Back Off that I installed. they removed that and it was evidently fixed. I rode home and it didn't work. Between that time and when i returned it, I put bar backs on. Now they tell me that those are the problem in that the Throttle cable must go straight into the housing and that when the bike gets turned hard right, it throws that out of wack. Result: It works sometimes. This doesn't pass the smell test for me. Any comments?

How much do the barbacks end up changing the amount of stress/stretch/bend on the cables? Maybe there is some merit to it but in any case I understand your frusteration. I seem to remember that folks who put barbacks on their K-RS' needed to change to longer cables.

Hundreds if not thousands of K1200RS/GT bikes have bar-backs installed and still have properly functioning throttle and cruise control. Stock cables work with those units that indicate they work with stock cables. The additional set-back limit might vary between the two models. 30mm to 40mm additional set-back seems to work with the RS.

There are multiple routings avaialable for the throttle cables. Given that your units are for stock cables, I'd bet one of those routings will work.

If you are unwilling to work on your own bike, find a dealer who is more interested in solutions than problems.

Best wishes.

I put bar backs on my KRS and did *not* put on longer cables. No problems. I bought them used from someone on the old I-BMW site so I don't know the brand. I'm a cruise control junky and I use it all the time. Maybe 1 out of 100 times it will fail to "resume". I find that pushing the lever forward ("set") clears it up.

There's definitely a proper procedure to set or resume: You must be holding tension against the throttle return springs when you hit the "resume" or "set". If there's no tension the cruise will not engage.

What year is your KGT? I understand the cable lengths changed at one point.

Jeff C

My '04 KRS has 30mm. barbacks. I have no cruise control problems. In the repair CD it states that cable adjustments are critical.

Bill

I don't have to do anything to have my cruise to "resume" or "set'. You might need a minor throttle cable adjustment on yours.

Bruce C

I't doesn't sound like this is going to make me popular but I had the exact same problem and it was the barbacks. I had to get new cables put on and rerouted. It works great now and i've not had one problem since. Dealer charged me $60 parts and labor worth it I say.

Aluminum_Butt
What year is your KGT? I understand the cable lengths changed at one point.
Anybody know if this is valid? Looks like the bikes with problems so far are '03's. I've got an 04 and just got a set of RCU barbacks, but now I'm concerned. There is a disclaimer in the package that indicates the throttle cable will be stretched to its full extent with the bars at lock position. I got these just to test them - I'd rather leave them off if there's a significant chance they'll cause a problem.

I put the Suburban Machinery barbacks (from Pirates Lair) onto my '03 GT and had no problems. I may have had the longer cables on the bike from the start. From the Pirates web site:

"Install may or may not be relatively painless. The good news is, on 98% of the GT's out there, no changes to brake or clutch lines are necessary. Have seen only a handful that needed a longer brake line.

The early model 03 GT's had RS length cables. The Suburban GT Barbacks will bolt on to these bikes with ZERO probs... ZERO mods needed. Bolt them on and go.

However, some.. not all late model 03 GT's have shorter cables. If you have one of these later bikes ...both stock throttle cables have to be removed from twist grip then lead over triple clamp and reconnected. (see pics below) No bodywork needs be removed. Four tie wraps need to be removed to provide slack for the wiring. No other mods necessary. This is NOT an easy job. It's a 2 hour job by a professional mechanic.. However if you need/want/desire a cleaner look, the GT barback manufacturer may be offering new, longer throttle cables sometime in late 2005. Stay tuned."

The only CC problem I had when I first owned the bike was due to operator error. Many times the CC would never engage. I ran through the CC diagnostics, and all of my microswitches seemed fine. Then I figured out... that my big Size 13 was leaning on the brake pedal just enough to prevent the CC from engaging. Now I ensure that the toe of my boot is on the peg, where it belongs, and no more CC "issues". YMMV

Tom

In the repair CD it states that cable adjustments are critical.

Bill

I don't have to do anything to have my cruise to "resume" or "set'. You might need a minor throttle cable adjustment on yours.

Bruce C

Bruce,

Thanks. Can you expand on the throttle cable adjustment here? Is it simply a matter of the right amount of slack/slop/play in the cable? No slack? Or is it more than just cable slack?

I've just put some 40mm bar backs on my 03 K RS and have had no problems and according to my dealer Dusty Miller in Tallahassee, Fl. at Miller's BMW told me that as long as you didn't go over 50mm on your bar back you didn't have to change anything especially your cables. Dusty is very knowledgeable when it comes to just about any motorcycles particular BMW's and he's always glad to share the solution to your problem. All you really have to do is just explaing what problem your having and he can pretty well tell you how to correct it. At least this has always been my experience with Dusty. thumbsup.gif

Archived