IGNORED

R1200RT Software Update and Throttle Body Cover Recall

Survived-til-now

Survived-til-now

Reported elsewhere on this site was a flat battery problem and it lead me to all sorts of useful info on how the computer could be fooled into leaving CANBUS on thus draining battery.

This has been addressed by a software update that (for example) now requires you to press the left indicator for three seconds or so before the sidelights come on.... so I took bike in for update version 6 (in UK anyway) and found that BMW have issued a recall for throttle body covers to be fitted (they once had them on the RT's then they were omitted and that could be why the throttles went out of sync so easily with grit infiltrating them)

Anyway, the software fix also improves the fuelling-- Now I am not quite sure what they have done but I can tell you that the run back from the dealer was smoother and with more power on acceleration.... It reminded me of when I fitted a techlusion R259 to my R1150RT - big improvement

Moral is : Make sure you get your software fixes and look out for that recall.

Anyone in the States hear about this? I haven't noticed any prob.s w/my girl but it seems like my fuel consumption has gone way up. I'm averaging roughly 39 mpg, down from around 45. I've only had 'er for 2 mos. and 2500 miles but this is the best all around bike I've ever owned, I want to stay on top of it.

Well, I did blow out a throttle body when I hit the start button too quickly on a mis-fired start. What I mean is that I had not let the thing wind all the way down to nothing prior to hitting the start button ka-boom it backfired. Idled like crap after that.

I have not been real impressed with my gas mileage, but figured it was because I have such a Dicken's of a time keeping the thing under 80 MPH

I just called my dealer in Florida and the service dept. says it is unaware of any software update for the 2005 R1200RT.

Anyone hear any differently?

-Eric

Is there any source that states what the latest software version is and recall info for the 1200rt? When I raise any recall or software update to BMW Thailand, they just say it's not applicable to my VIN.

I don't trust anything that comes from these guys and nothing gets done under warranty unless I can prove them wrong.

Called my dealer today and they asked for my VIN. They then told me that the throttle body cover was installed on my RT at assembly time (in June of this year). They didn't know about any software updates.

Joe

Archived