IGNORED

Rear Drive same as Hexheads?

BeemerBerg

Been thinking about replacing my '05 RT with a camhead.

Can anyone tell me if the same rear drive is being used in these newer modeld? I've had to rebuild the drive on my hexhead, and my '99 Oilhead. Would like to avoid that "cost of ownership" experience again.

I understand that they've gone back to a float in the gas tank instead of that pesky fuel strip. True/False?

Final drive is the same overall design but they added a vent and moved the drain plug to the bottom. If internal tweaks were made, no one seems to really know for sure. Somebody chime in and correct me if they know something different.

2011 and on R1200 bikes have a float in the gas tank instead of the stupid fuel strip. 2005 also had a float.

According to the BMW parts fiche, the 05 has the following part.

Part Number Description Qty Each

16147675547 FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 1 $131.65

Definitely a fuel strip, not a float. I have the 05 and WISH it had a float.

Paul Mihalka

Checking, the '05-'07 shows fuel pump flange WITH lever sensor 16147691483, and the '08 on shows fuel pump flange WITHOUT lever sensor 16147713043. Both fiche show the fuel strip. I think the changeover from float ("lever sensor") to strip was somewhere in '06.

The fuel strip was changed out for a float and a vent was indeed added to the '11. Vent in theory reducing pressures buildup that could cause bearing seal blowouts. Don't know how effective it is yet, but that was good enough for me to dig into an '11. Hope that helps.

Nope, my early-built 2005 hexhead DEFINITELY has the notorious fuel strip....mine is kaput and I refuse to pay the $300 to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is it Paul? Does my early 2005 RT have the float sensor? I wouid guess it does because I've have had any trouble with it. Here is a bit of manufacturing information on my bike.

R1200RT 05-09 (K26)

VIN#ZM15680 02/2005 USA

I reckon someone can take this and find out if it has the strip or the float. Doesn't matter to me because it always works :) The ole girl turns seven years old this coming April 15th. I hope it doesn't take BMW another six or seven to built a new RED RT.

So what is it Paul? Does my early 2005 RT have the float sensor? I wouid guess it does because I've have had any trouble with it. Here is a bit of manufacturing information on my bike.

R1200RT 05-09 (K26)

VIN#ZM15680 02/2005 USA

I reckon someone can take this and find out if it has the strip or the float. Doesn't matter to me because it always works :) The ole girl turns seven years old this coming April 15th. I hope it doesn't take BMW another six or seven to built a new RED RT.

I have an 07 which I'm sure has the fuel strip. With with 133K miles on it, I still have the original sensor so I wouldn't assume you have the float just because you haven't had problems.

• 2 weeks later...
The fuel strip was changed out for a float and a vent was indeed added to the '11. Vent in theory reducing pressures buildup that could cause bearing seal blowouts. Don't know how effective it is yet, but that was good enough for me to dig into an '11. Hope that helps.

Just had my '11RT 6k service done and they found the final drive leaking... there are no seals available in the US so they replaced the entire final drive?!? it's still the best motorcycle I've ever owned, even compared to my '09RT.

Just had my '11RT 6k service done and they found the final drive leaking... there are no seals available in the US so they replaced the entire final drive?!? it's still the best motorcycle I've ever owned, even compared to my '09RT.

Congratulations on getting a new FD. There are no seals available in the US because the new design never leaks. :rofl:

The shaft drive itself is exactly the same as used on the Hexhead and (curiously enough) the HP2 Sport.

The rear drive is different, though I cannot tell you the exact differences.

The 2011 and 2012 R 1200 RT you can drain and fill the fluid in the final drive? I know some of the earlier models you could not access the fluid without dropping the whole drive. I would not buy a bike where I could not change out the final drive fluid. So the question is do the newer models allow you to replace the fluid like the 2003 final drive.

Can a bike originally equipped with the strip be retrofitted with the float?

This is a key question. If BMW doesn't supply a retrofit replacement of some sort, then shame on them. Between my 2nd bad fuel strip, my pulsing/grabbing brakes that they refused to fix ("it measures within spec"), and worries about the future of my FD...well, let's just say that I currently own the only BMW that I'll ever own. Say what you want about Harley...when they're faced with situations like these, they'll generally provide a repair/replacement of some sort rather than just telling you to buy a newer bike if you don't like the one you have.

• 2 months later...

Archived