IGNORED

Dual horns?

BIWOZ

Did the 2004 model 1150RT come with dual horns? Mine has two; one on each side of the steering yoke thingie (technical term)... and ohmigawd they are LOUD!

I enjoy demonstrating "the loudest thing on a BMW motorcycle" (aside from the transmission).

The blare from the horns usually evokes involuntary jumping, cringing, wincing, or combinations of the aforementioned! :-)

WyreNut

Hey! Not just dual spark models mate...

Our 2003 single sparkers also had the extra loud horns. Used them the other day when some idiot woman, walking along and talking on her cell phone, stepped out and continued walking into a side road, just as our ride group was turning into it. Frightened the heck out of her....she jumped and almost dropped the phone....actually wished she had :grin:

Hi Phil,

Across this side of the pond, they only appeared on the twin sparkers

Sorry.

Shame you didn't run over the woman's mobile (I do not wish her any harm)!

Andy

Hi Phil,

Across this side of the pond, they only appeared on the twin sparkers

Sorry.

Shame you didn't run over the woman's mobile (I do not wish her any harm)!

Andy

They were an option on the single-spark 1150s. I had them on my 02 RT.

Andy

Key point is that dual horns are tuned slightly apart to produce a nice distinctive sound, not just a raucous buzz.

I installed true airhorns just inside of my oil cooler. They are truly air powered and truly horns. A horn will project the sound forward (and incidentally, will be quieter behind).

No question in my mind, after 50 seasons, that too much quiet is unsafe.

BTW, the stupid ergos of the Oilhead controls means you are hindered in deploying the horn(s). That's certainly unsafe.

Ben

I got a 2003 and sure enough it has twin horns. I didn't think much of it when I first got it. I was pulling in to the garage and my 1 year old son was standing in the way. I told my wife I'd give a quick blip on the horn to make him move. It scared the crap out of him. He cried and ran to mommy. Oops. Felt like a jerk, I mean I got him to move but don't want him terrified of the bikes. Oh well. Yes they are loud!

However, for those interested in louder horns(if you only have one horn fitted), you can purchase the other horn and fit it. All the wiring (complete with the plug) is all there and the horn is just plug and play.

Dual horns were not an option in the U.S. but they were in the U.K.

Interesting, because my bike is a US import.

What I find interesting is how BMW decided duel horns for American riders should be mandatory & NOT on option :grin:

Ben, slightly off subject I know, but thought you might be interested. Regarding your comment on the ergonomic control layout, The former owner of my 1100RT changed the pins in the connector plug so the controls work differently. I love it this way but I had not ridden a BMW before and so had not gotten used to the original layout. He basically inverted each control.

The original left turn signal is now the horn (twin FIAMS) and the original horn is now the turn signal. The original right turn signal is now the turn cancel, and the original cancel is now the right turn.

Makes sense when you give it some time. Big button forward push for a horn is logical, and thumbs up movement for turn signals is also logical.

I've ridden it this way for 5 years now and of course it is automatic to me. Might drive an accomplished BMW rider nuts though, tooting the horn all over town !!

That is indeed a cool setup :)

I know a rider here that connected his horn via a relay to the turn signal switch. This way, when he goes left or right, the horn honks as the turn light lits :))

Dan.

I meant the twin horns were standard and NOT an option :thumbsup:

Yes, I realised later.

Australians and Americans ... two peoples separated by a common language! :rofl:

I meant the twin horns were standard and NOT an option :thumbsup:

Yes, I realised later.

Australians and Americans ... two peoples separated by a common language! :rofl:

Phil is an ex-pat Brit....

Andy

When I bought my first BMW - a 2004 R1150RT, I had trouble with them. As I was getting used to where my turn signals were, I would accidently hit my horn button and scare the holy shit out of myself. They are the loudest stock horns I have ever heard on a motorcycle.

snip He cried and ran to mommy. Oops. Felt like a jerk, I mean I got him to move but don't want him terrified of the bikes.

My guess is that half of us pray we WILL scare our kids away from bikes!!!! My daughters keep on threatening me that they will get bikes.

Kiwiaudio - interesting layout, not sure if it was intentional or accidental! Kissan SignalMinder, a very worthwhile gizmo, has a pretty smart drill and quite intuitive. (In the human factors biz, "intuitive" isn't the whole story, but a good starting point.)

For sure, might work better if we had a foot pedal for the horn compared to present confusion.

Let me repeat, increase effectiveness of dual horns is not from double units but acoustical from beats. And much more so with true air horns if you can shoe-horn them in.

Ben

I'll send you the wimpy OEM beep-beep horn off my 96RS. You pay the postage. pm me.

I replaced it with a pair of FIAMMs, just like the ones my dad had on his Alfa Romeo. WOW! Two thumbs up.

Yes, twin Fiamms are excellent. Necessarily made my own mount - Fun, frustrating etc. trying to get them both in there without the forks touching at full lock :dopeslap:

Even better through a relay !

Archived