IGNORED

Tales of the shark fin-how DO you remove the alt cover???

RTP Rider

So, searched the site after trying my darndest to figure out how to extracate my alternator cover out of the maze of pipes and frame bars on my 2001 RT-P.

The closest I came to prior knowledge was a veiled reference to removing the "shark fin". I went back and located the shark fin which is a wind baffle for the air intake on the left side of the bike.

This increased working room, but I still can't get the cover out easily no matter what I try to wiggle it by!

It looks like it should be able to pass through the space between the pipes and the frame bars (narrowly) but I suspect there's a trick.

I keep getting hung up and jamming it.

Who can be the Yoda master here and enlighten me?

Thanks in advance!!!!

On my 1150 RT once the shark fin is out the cover slides up and then drops down and to the right and slides out. Not easily but I don't have to force it. It doesn't fit between the engine and headers.

On my R1100, looking rear to front (the left side being the shifter/engine fill side), the shark fin I removed was right above the cylinder on the LEFT side.

With some work, I thought I could shimmy it out the left side, and NOT between the frame & pipes. But there's a frame welded mounting screw which I have to bend the cover over, and the cross member/frame piece above leaves little room for angling the cover.

It sure doesn't drop easy and out...

Hmmmm ooo.gif

Nope.. crash bars, tupperware etc.. all off

Thanks!

Do you have a digital camera so that you can show us your best attempt at getting it off? Please do tell us the final solution (unless it involves a chain saw).

On the RT-P, the alt belt cover is still a bear to remove even with the crash bars, tupperware, and shark fin out of the way. It's the crash bar support structure that really gets in the way. On my bike, I was able to remove the cover from the left side only with a lot of bending/prying/jiggling, hoping that the cover wouldn't break. There is VERY little room for the cover to fit through, unless you go to the extreme hassle of removing the support structure. That was 18000 miles ago, and I'm dreading the fact that I need to check the belt again on the next service.

Next time the cover comes off, I'll cut it in half as others have done to make it easier to handle.

I was able to remove the cover from the left side only with a lot of bending/prying/jiggling,

Wow...that's interesting. I found it much easier to remove it on the right side on a standard 99 RT...Go Figure

And, just my $.02, A couple of deep breaths and a little gentle manuvering worked better for me than, jiggling and prying. (Cause God knows I tried that tongue.gif)

Oh yeah, and a almost forgot, you have to sacrifice a virgin to the god's of motorcycle maintanence...and.... if you find one ......ohh never mind. grin.gifdopeslap.gif

Good Luck!! thumbsup.gif

On the RT-P, the alt belt cover is still a bear to remove even with the crash bars, tupperware, and shark fin out of the way. It's the crash bar support structure that really gets in the way. On my bike, I was able to remove the cover from the left side only with a lot of bending/prying/jiggling, hoping that the cover wouldn't break. There is VERY little room for the cover to fit through, unless you go to the extreme hassle of removing the support structure. That was 18000 miles ago, and I'm dreading the fact that I need to check the belt again on the next service.

Next time the cover comes off, I'll cut it in half as others have done to make it easier to handle.

Update:

MAN!!! I had to use a LOT of muscle to get that thing out! 99RT-P, your post gave me the green light to just ape that thing - and it was the ONLY way!

I'm DEFINITELY cutting this. My knuckles are bruised up and that's WITH wearing mechanics gloves!!!!

99RT-P, did you run across any tips on where to cut it? I assume basically in the middle. Each half would be held by two bolts. Any worries about more debris getting inside the compartment?

Thanks all for the suggestions!

blush.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
The closest I came to prior knowledge was a veiled reference to removing the "shark fin". I went back and located the shark fin which is a wind baffle for the air intake on the left side of the bike.

On my R1100, looking rear to front (the left side being the shifter/engine fill side), the shark fin I removed was right above the cylinder on the LEFT side.

Are you removing the right thing?

The shark fin to which people are referring is a painted (not bare plastic) fin, maybe 3-4 inches long, that hangs in front of (not above) the cylinder head. Whereas a real shark's dorsal fin points upward, this piece hangs downward. It's supported by a long steel stanchion bolted to the lower front part of the crankcase by two bolts on a couple of cylindrical spacers that are maybe 1 inch long each. The tupperware in turn bolts to the shark's fin, so that it's impossible to remove the shark fin without first removing the tupperware.

Is this in fact the piece you were removing?

Are you removing the right thing?

The shark fin to which people are referring is a painted (not bare plastic) fin, maybe 3-4 inches long, that hangs in front of (not above) the cylinder head. Whereas a real shark's dorsal fin points upward, this piece hangs downward. It's supported by a long steel stanchion bolted to the lower front part of the crankcase by two bolts on a couple of cylindrical spacers that are maybe 1 inch long each. The tupperware in turn bolts to the shark's fin, so that it's impossible to remove the shark fin without first removing the tupperware.

Is this in fact the piece you were removing?

Perhaps I should have been more anatomically specific... not the Dorsal fin (which points up), but rather the pelvic fin (which points down)

ext-anat.jpg

Hahaha, thanks, no I got the right piece, and it, along with the tupperware, is off. As is the cover now. On RT-P's there's a frame mounted fastner which makes pivoting the alt cover even harder than on most RT's.

Thanks again!

Archived