IGNORED

Garmin 2620 GPS Question

Catbird

A year or so ago, I bought a 2620 instead of a 2610 because I thought it would be easier to use since ALL mapping information is preloaded at the factory (no PC required). 99% of the time, this GPS is used in one of the cars and works extremely well.

QUESTION:

Since the 2620 uses a hard drive, I've heard that it's much more sensitive to vibration/bumps and it's probably not wise to try to use it on my R1200RT. Does anyone have definite information on this? I'm not too keen on investing in a high-dollar GPS mount for my bike, if operation of the 2620 will be problematic.

Calvin  (no socks)

I've been using a 2620 for the last 2 years. On 4 different bikes the custom mounts would cost me more than the unit... I use the $12.00 mount that came with it and ordered one for each bike... I can afford that! grin.gif

No ill effects yet, and over 30 k miles on unit...

ClearwaterBMW

catbird

you own a very good gps

while folks have spoken about this issue ad nauseum all over the 'net... there have been no REAL reports of a failure of the memory system based on vibration

Garmin really has no true position on this

the RT is a fairly smooth ride... i wouldn't use it on my GS when/if i go off-road

but on your RT, there really shouldn't be any problem

enjoy.... you own one of the best

greg

I tried a 2620 on my R1100RS. With in a mile is would lock up. I contacted Garmin and they had me send it in. They reset every thing and checked it over and sent it back. Put it back on the RS and rode again out my driveway to the first corner and again it locked up and gave several warning messages. Recontacted Garmin, sent it back in and was told again everything checked out. This time I had stopped and written down the warning messages that it had shown and relayed this to Garmin. There response was that the micro drive was reacting to the vibration of the motorcycle and apparently would not work with that application. There solution was to send me a new 2610 with a 2g memory card with everything loaded on to it which has worked fine on the R1100RS and now my R1200RT.

So, use the 2620 in a car, but for a BMW twin, use a 2610 or anything WITH OUT the microdrive.

Good luck

Andy thumbsup.gif

ClearwaterBMW

i understand your point... and i'm glad you found out how wonderful Garmin is to its customers....

and i KNOW that your story OUGHT to be more common,

but it isn't

you are the only person who's had that "expected" problem.

i say:

use it and IF something happens, contact Garmin and they'll take care of you.

since there is NOTHING in the manual or warranty that mentions NOT using the unit in a HIGH vibration area.... then do it and don't look back

by the way,

how about some big SUV with TRUCK tires?

those vehicles vibrate a lot more than any RT i've ever seen or been on

greg

...you are the only person who's had that "expected" problem...

Uh, no. This is a widely documented problem. Do a search for +garmin +2620 for the last two years and you'll turn up a lot of issues.

ClearwaterBMW

with or without that search....

the incidences have been entirely more theoretical than actual

and....

as i said above, Garmin will cover you if you have problems

because.....

plenty of caged vehicles have more vibration than your RT... so they CANNOT make a demand of the purchasers to NOT use it on a motorcycle... that just wouldn't work

i have the bmw nav ii/garmin 2610

but you already have the 2620... so, use it to your heart's content.... i don't think you'll be disappointed

greg

with or without that search....

the incidences have been entirely more theoretical than actual

and....

No, Greg, they haven't been "theoretical." As Steve pointed out, they've been real. In fact, I'd be interested in finding even a handful of people who have successfully used the 2620 on a motorcycle. In fact, dozens have sent them back because they did not work.

Oh my...how could this be? Now that you mention it I remember that this was a problem for several of the members.

but you already have the 2620... so, use it to your heart's content....

I think you have me confused with the OP. I don't have an RT or a 2620.

Or, maybe I'm just having trouble reading your writing. Lack of proper capitalization and punctuation makes it very difficult to read.

ClearwaterBMW

i apologize if i didn't see the reports from DOZENS of riders with the 2620. are you suggesting that he buy another gps device to use on his bike at some high expense?

that might be hard to justify for him. i was merely suggesting that he use the 2620... if there are never any problems, then all is well.

if a problem exists, he can send it in to Garmin and they will rectify the situation because there are NO prohibitions on using that unit on a bike... as far as GARMIN is concerned

that's all i meant

respectfully,

greg

... are you suggesting that he buy another gps device to use on his bike at some high expense?

It's no big deal, Greg. I was simply correcting an incorrect statement. You said that "no one has problems with the 2620 on a motorcycle." That is not correct.

And, my advice to him would to be to return the 2620 and buy the 2610 with 2gb of memory.

ClearwaterBMW
And, my advice to him would to be to return the 2620 and buy the 2610 with 2gb of memory.

i agree that if he can do that successfully, that would be for the best. i apologize for my inaccuracies

greg

ClearwaterBMW
...because there are NO prohibitions on using that unit on a bike.

Well, there might not be any prohibitions, but all it takes is a simple search to find dozens of problem reports. And plenty of corroboration by the GPS vendors themselves:

GPS Central

Adventure GPS

Cycle Gadgets

i appreciate those links.

greg

I went through two 2620 units that failed consistantly on my R1200C before swapping it out for a 2610 with a 2GB card. No problems since the changeover.

Thank you everyone for this helpful dialog; I didn't really expect this many replies!

Right or wrong, I think I may just try to figure out a secure/sensible method of attaching my 2620 to my tank bag (either internal or external). This may just cushion any bumps and jolts enough to minimize the chances of unit failure. Also, it's reassuring to hear that Garmin customer service is easy to work with.

If anyone has any suggestion(s) for GPS tank bag mounting, I'd love to hear from you.

FWIW, I'm just a casual/pleasure/conservative rider who prefers scenic, but well-maintained roads.

Do you have one of the early 2620s with the removable MagicStor drives, or is it one of the later ones with the MagicStor drive built-in internally? (Is there a door on the back of the unit you can open and find a removable card inside?) If the former, you might ask Garmin if the 2620 supports copying the maps from the MagicStor drive to a regular CompactFlash card (or just try it yourself). You might be able to replace the fragile MagicStor drive with a flash CF card and not have to worry about vibration.

For the record, I know someone who had a couple of 2620s self-destruct on his RT in a very short time, and Garmin told him to return it and get a 2610. Maybe you could talk Garmin into swapping your 2620 for a reconditioned 2610?

Or just use the 2620 in the car and buy one of the new models for the bike. wink.gif

2620 on a 2003 RT using a RAM mount, 30K later - no problem.

Maybe I am just lucky but judging by the majority of the above comments the unit works fine on a bike.

Jurgen

Do you have one of the early 2620s with the removable MagicStor drives, or is it one of the later ones with the MagicStor drive built-in internally? (Is there a door on the back of the unit you can open and find a removable card inside?)...
Yes, there IS a door on the back of the unit with a removeable card inside.

If you can find somebody with a spare 2GB CF card and some time on their hands, you could try copying the contents of the card from your 2620 to the conventional flash card and see if it works in your 2620. (I assume that taking a loaded CF card out of a 2610 and putting it in your 2620 probably won't work because the lock codes won't match).

Which $12 mount are you using on your bikes, and where are you keeping it? I just got a 2610 with 1GB CF and I want to use on my R11RT and possibly on an older Airhead as well as my car.

Archived