IGNORED

I need a new battery

Bear1

After 4 years of wondeful riding, the battery on my '02RT has finally given out and I need a replacement. Someone suggested an Oddessy PC680 battery as a replacement, but I cannot see on the Oddessy Battery website where this battery is listed as a replacement for my bike.

So the question for this group is this: Is the Oddessy PC680 the correct replacement battery for my '02RT and are there any issues I need to be aware of when instaling the battery?

I second the recommendation for the Odyssey. Look for them on eBay at $63.94 + $14 S&H. They are shipped charged and ready to install.

The only drawback is that the terminals are not exacly like in the standard battery. The Odyssey will fit better if you get/make a small angle bracket for the negative lead, but it is not strictly necessary. Go for it!

Bear1,

You'll find a lot of folks using this battery too:

I've been using Panasonic AGM/SLA batteries since about 1995 and just replace them every 4 years.

LC-X1220P from Digikey.com is only $44.68 with free shipping.

Send in your check with the order. Fits all R1100RT/R1150RT.

Matter of fact, I just ordered a new Panasonic for my '96 RT. I checked and the battery in there is is just past 4 years old so I ordered one. I'm doing a little trip the end of the month and I HATE having battery problems away from home.

Mick

I have the Odyssey in my 02 1150RT and 93 K75. When mounting in the 1150RT I did not have need for a small "L" bracket for mounting, I just mounted the battery on it's side with the posts facing the left side of the bike, easy to attach cables without an "L" bracket. Yes it is safe to mount the battery on it's side, will not affect it. Try doing this with your lead/acid battery, JUST KIDDING, DO NOT try this with a lead/adic battery. RonP

I second the recommendation for the Odyssey. Look for them on eBay at $63.94 + $14 S&H. They are shipped charged and ready to install.

The only drawback is that the terminals are not exacly like in the standard battery. The Odyssey will fit better if you get/make a small angle bracket for the negative lead, but it is not strictly necessary. Go for it!

Have you ordered a battery off of Ebay and do you know which vendor you used? The prices look great on Ebay, but I would like to use a vendor someone already has experience with.

I do not recomend the odysey battery. Buy a traditonal type of OEM battery, you will be better off.

The reason is simple. The sealed type of batteries do not store or charge at the same rate as a conventional battery. The individuals that I know who havd used the Oddysey have all experienced tenporary battery related ABS loss.

The users of these batteries all agreee that the Oddysey or any of the other sealed type batteries do not meet the electrical needs of the high power required of the BMW abs system.

Stay away from the sealed batteries on the abs equiped BMW's. They also say that a special type of charger is needed for these batteries, this is also bogus and just a money maker on the part of the dealers and battery mfg's.

Isn't a gel battery considered a sealed battery? If there is some concern about the use of sealed batteries on the ABS RT's, then why is BMW making this the standard battery on the RT?

..They also say...

People say all sorts of things. The only issue I am aware of is that to recharge a deeply-discharged Odyssey you will need more current than a small charger can provide. Perhaps someone with technical knowledge can explain.

The eBay vendor I used was odyssey_world, but all Odyssey vendors seem to have good feedback ratings.

The sealed type of batteries do not store or charge at the same rate as a conventional battery. The individuals that I know who havd used the Oddysey have all experienced tenporary battery related ABS loss.

Sorry but here comes some plain talk:

It's clear you're a layman. I can guess what you're trying to say but I won't. Your generalized advise referencing people you think are experts but I would probably disagree with is the type of advise I always try to avoid on the internet. And I've posted many times before that the need for a special charger is unfounded. And BTW, I've had the intermittent ABS startup nuisance (not a failure but you have to turn the key off and restart and go through the startup sequence again) ever since I got the new BMW battery about a year ago. The next battery will be a dry cell, even if it doesn't "store...at the same rate."

I'm not saying that the odyssey batteries are the best thing since slice bread. IN fact, I see a panasonic that looks pretty good in a previous post.

Cheers,

Jerry

I do not recomend the odysey battery. Buy a traditonal type of OEM battery, you will be better off.

The reason is simple. The sealed type of batteries do not store or charge at the same rate as a conventional battery. The individuals that I know who havd used the Oddysey have all experienced tenporary battery related ABS loss.

The users of these batteries all agreee that the Oddysey or any of the other sealed type batteries do not meet the electrical needs of the high power required of the BMW abs system....

Don't lump me in with this statement. I don't know where you are getting your data but, I had 4 trouble free years with an Odyssey battery on my R1100RT. I did not experience one ABS fault during that time. I'm sorry I can't say the same about the OEM BMW battery that came with the bike.

I have used the Gel in my 2004RT..It was terrible. I ended up with the Odysey. It holds the charge better, cranks harder, and does not require the overnite wait to charge like the Gel. This same experience has been experienced by friends of moine. In fact the Odysey is a deep cycle battery. last but not least, BMW had to increase the warranty from 2004 to 2005 on the RTs by one year, strictly for the battery. That says it all.

Just purshased a PC680 after doing a Google search it was $89.90 with free shipping. They shipped it ground and I had it in four days. Like it was stated above I mounted the battery on its side and had no trouble making the connections.

I looked on e-bay but the prices were comparable after figuring in the shipping cost so I went straight to a distributor. Right off the bat I have to say that it has an incredible amount of starting power. That is it is starting the engine in 20 degree weather like its a warm engine in July!! Don't have much long term insight other than that but if you search this board it appeared to me that most were happy with the 680. Remember there will always be those who like others... but that's what makes research so much fun grin.gif

GMAC doesn't know what he's talking about. If you read the many battery threads on this forum and others, you will find that the Odyssey battery gives outstanding, long term results to the majority of people who have tried one. I've been using them for several years and presently have one in each of my three bikes. Never had a failure.

If the battery does become discharged, you will need a 12V/6 amp charger to pull it back. Otherwise, you can charge it with a standard trickle charger to make sure that it stays up for longer storage.

gmac does know first hand with riding partners using the odysey batteries on their bmw rt rides.

First hand is multiple bikes using sealed bateries who all experience and continue to experience ABS intermittent failure.

Not suprising, BMW issued a severe concern in August of 05.

The warning has exactly to do with what I am talking about,

the inability of the sealed type of battery to replace and store a charge fast enough for those who are using their bikes in multiple stop and start type of driving circumstances.BMW stated the following in their August 31 st, 05 letters to bmw owners "ABS can be temporarily disabled after a specific set of circumstances...this occurrence has happened in the case of a repeated number of agressive applications of the brakes in conjunction with a battery of low and or decreasing voltage". This is in part the experience I have seen with my own eyes with riding buddies using the Odyssey batteeries, although they were riding in a normal mannner with start and stop engine paterns, which is also normal. I have also seen this with other sealed batteries used on the BMW's.

I will say again, this does not happen with a traditional type of battery, as I was with the same individuals, with a traditional type of battery and experienced no problems, and yes I do say that all the elements are the same, ie my battery age and charge condition of both batteries spoken about on those days when I experienced the ABS failure. ABS

failure may not be a big deal to some, but to the unaware, it is very serious. STAY AWAY FROM THE ODYSSEY and any sealed batteries for use on ABS equipped bikes. I will replace my 2002 battery with the same traditional type of battery. I also want to add that some of you may be able to try to complicate this simple observation, but remember, experience is the real clarifier, and I have experienced this first hand,with several Odyssey batteries on rt only boxer bikes, not theory or a graph of decreasing voltage in a boxer engine at 55 degrees temmperature over a theoretical twenty four hour period v's traditional batteries.

I saw this first hand. MY TRADITIONAL TYPE OF BATTERY DID NOT EXPEERIENCE ANY ABS FAULT READING UNDER THE SAME EXACT CONDITIONS, BATTERY CHARGE ETC. Stay away from the sealed batteries for bmw abs equipped bikes!

gmac: You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

You have lumped all sealed batteries into one category. There are at least two different types. There may be more that I am not aware of. the most common are the Gel Cell and AGM. The Gel Cells have been known to have had problems and were standard equipment on BMW's for a while. (still may be?)

The AGM types have not had problems outside of the rare battery that might fail. The Odyssey is an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM).

If your friends ride BMW's, they obviously don't belong to this forum (which is one of the most popular) because there hasn't been any multiple postings about Odyssey battery failures or Odyssey's causing ABS failures. In fact, just the opposite. The Odyssey has cured many a problem with ABS faults.

You really should get your facts straight before you bad-mouth a product and warn members about using that product.

sc-jack, you are the one that is CLUE--LESS, you believe that because your limited bmw board friends do not say the problems thay are having with the Odysey batteries, that the world must not have a problems with them. Both my experience and that of BMW now confirms that which I am saying. Rather than use your logical non-sense, try relating to BMW ABS battery "recall" and alert concerning this very subject. Or do you not know about this recall/severe warning at all. Now get together with some of your friends, say there is no problem with using the sealed batteries write some crap on this thread and go to bed happy..

Why don't you address what I have already written?

Two types of sealed batteries.

You have lumped them all into one category.

You are the ONLY voice of negativity about the Odyssey in this thread (and others).

Limited number of opinions on this board? There are over 9500 registed users on this forum.

WHO has the problem? I'm simply asking you to back up your statements with some facts about Odyssey batteries. You are unwilling / unable to do so. End of story.

Yes, I can lump the battery types together because what I am saying is that all sealed type (maintence free batteries) will fail to maintain the abs system power requirement under certain conditions, if used in the bmw with abs brake systems. BMW in their issue of a "recall"/ severe warning of August 31, 2005. In fact the BMW notice wants all sent the notice to bring the bike into the shop, BMW paid. Under certain conditions both types of what I call "sealed" batteries may "fail", incur an abs failure (temporary). This is BMW's experience and I have said that it has been my experience, have seen it at least 4 separate days, withmultiple abs faults showing up on those days, so it is 4 days times at least 3 faults in a riding day. I have seen this Odysey and other "sealed maintence free) type batteries used in BMW's temporarily fail right in fromt of me. FAil in this discussion refers to the battery in a boxer motor equipped with abs brakes , where the battery system and charging system of said battery are not sufficient to replace the charge in said battery to ensure a proper level of "power" to support the abs system requirements at that particular time of use. I believe individuals who ae thinking about buying the batteries should know what they are getting into. This is not any end of a story, but a warning to those thinking of purchasing a maintence free type of battery for the bmw with abs brake systems. Yes there will be those who use the maintenance fre type of batteries with no problems at all, but that is not what I have seen. The traditional type opf bmw battery will outperform the maintenance free battery over a given period of time as it relates to abs

faults.

gmac does know first hand with riding partners using the odysey batteries on their bmw rt rides.

BEWARE of people that speak of themselves in the 3rd person. grin.gif

Sounds like gmac is just looking for a verbal altercation with his initial and subsequent statements. Anyone who has ever read a battery thread here knows the ODYSSEY battery gets very high marks from the majority of members who have had them.

I bought the ODYSSEY Based on many threads I read before I purchased it, and all I can say is that the cranking power is great and I have yet to have a single fault.

As earlier written, this is the first thread I have also read where someone did not not recommend an Odyssey battery. I have not had a single problem with mine. Absent someone geting a "dud", this is by far the best battery.

I am unfamiliar with the notice BMW has sent, nor has any authorized BMW dealer service person not recommended this battery to me: in fact the opposite.

As for the ABS faults, for many bikes this is normal for many of the bikes regardless of the type of battery. I had the stock battery when I purchased my '03 and the fault was present until I rode away: explained by the delaer/service personnel as normal.

In any event, to each his/her own. If you and your friends have had an issue with, and don't like the Odyssey, buy what you feel comfortable with.

So, let's assume I want an Odyssey battery. I would like to order a replacement online with some confidence in the purchase. Does anyone have recommendations for an online retailer they would suggest I use? The cheapest price I can find here in the Dallas area is around $100. I know there are cheaper alternative sources for the battery. I would like to avoid "reinventing the wheel" so to speak and use a retailer someone has used in the past with satisfaction.

I found West Coast Batteries online as the as a "master" distributor of the Odyseey batteries. Their price is a little high, but they also include the copper adapters for BMW bikes to make battery installation easier.

So, let's assume I want an Odyssey battery. I would like to order a replacement online with some confidence in the purchase. Does anyone have recommendations for an online retailer they would suggest I use? The cheapest price I can find here in the Dallas area is around $100. I know there are cheaper alternative sources for the battery. I would like to avoid "reinventing the wheel" so to speak and use a retailer someone has used in the past with satisfaction.

Here is where I bought mine on ebay. $63.95 . Seller has very good feedback of which I was one. Would buy from them again. Easily installed mine sideways with no mounts.

TomP: Thanks for the recommendation.

A quick question though: when you say you "installed sideways", are you referring to the orientation of the battery to the bike, or just the way the battery cables have to connect to the battery?

You're welcome Bear1. Referring to the orientation of the battery to the bike

Here's a post from Art.. that I followed

large.jpg

Mount it like this and no extenders are needed. Mine's been like this for 3 years / 21,000 miles.

No. beware of people who criticise those who speak of themselves in the third person yet ofer nothing in the way of real advise or sxperience... Lions and Tigers and Bears- OH My !!!!!!!

You're welcome Bear1. Referring to the orientation of the battery to the bike

Here's a post from Art.. that I followed

large.jpg

Mount it like this and no extenders are needed. Mine's been like this for 3 years / 21,000 miles.

Also, with it mounted like this you can jump the battery w/o pulling the gas tank. I had to loosen and raise the gas tank to jump my bike a couple of weeks ago when I left the sattelite radio on all day at work. Then I had to race to get the bike back together before anything overheated while Idling. Success but I left a couple of screws out until I got home with a charged battery.

Be careful of the exposed hot terminal though. The current available in an auto/motorcycle battery is similar to that used for arc welding. Get a short to ground and metal will melt. If there is a ring or a watch in the circuit it will cause serious burns. As an aside, this is a good reason not to wear a wedding ring or metal watch. I always said I'd never wear a wedding ring but after I got married the seriousness of the committment caused me to change my mind. But I took it off whenever I went to the garage. Now it hangs permanently in a plastic bag over my lathe. Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry Johnston

I was having ABS fault with my 96RT and replaced the original battery with a Westco Gel which has served me well. I've always had to restart the bike to clear the ABS faults when it got below 50 degrees but when riding all day I had no problems the next day except this year. My Westco is now five years old and the bike had to be restarted most every morning when cold (to clr faults)- I'm going to replace it with an Odessey this time. I'll let you know what I think of it in another four or five years.

GMAC you mean well. However in the case of the deep charge high amperage Glass Mat Odyssey battery you are not correct. This battery in my tests and friends tests out performs the BMW issued Gel battery by far and wide. The discharge rate, and recg=harge rate are as different as night is from day. The crank power is as different as Red to green. Please believe those of us that have direct comparisons, that the Odyessey is an very unique battery in the size and class for the BMW motorcycle.

I'm sure someone else got a slightly better deal but I bought mine at www.PortablePower.com $72.95 + $12.26 shipping but I think price has gone up a few bucs since May 05.

In any case delivered as promised.

I also used a Westo/Panasonic battery in my R1100RS for a couple of years and it worked as promised.

GMAC you mean well. However in the case of the deep charge high amperage Glass Mat Odyssey battery you are not correct. This battery in my tests and friends tests out performs the BMW issued Gel battery by far and wide. The discharge rate, and recg=harge rate are as different as night is from day. The crank power is as different as Red to green. Please believe those of us that have direct comparisons, that the Odyessey is an very unique battery in the size and class for the BMW motorcycle.

ROCKLIVES- I am also sure you mean well with your vote of confidence on the Maintence free Batteries. My first hand experience directs me to stay with the 19 AH OEM type battery. The people I ride with have replaced their maintence free batteries with OEM, which by the way is available from the aftermarket and speciality battery retailers, for those who wish to purchase one. I would estimate that this batery would not only out "perform" the Odysee, but would also out last it by at least 20 and up to 24 %, given the fact that the periodic maintence and regular battery tender conection. Aditionally, with ABS fault comes the risk of colision in the event of a panic stop with a bike that is running with an abs fault. That is the part which is note worthy to those who do not even know or see the abs fault light.

Yes I know they should know, but often do not.

By the way ROCKLIVES, would you really mount your battey sideways in your bike? Additionally, for those of you who do not agree with my postings, this list is one which is based on freedom of and sharing of speech and opinions. If you do not agree with my opinion, write your own, and stop trying to violate my and others rights by atempting to invalidate that freedom of speech, Don't like battery threads?, go to another thread, this is my forum as well as everyone elses, not just those clickies out there. Do not like what I write? READ SOMETHING ELSE and stay away from those maintence free batteries. lol

The August 2005 letter from BMW does not differentiate as to what type battery is installed when there is a problem. Note this applies only to the integral ABS, not the ABS II on the 1100 series bikes (which can fault on startup due to low voltage but different situation altogether).

The letter and accompanying insert for the manual does say that the situation is isolated to "safety training courses (where) an unusually high number of ABS-controlled braking actions talk place" where battery is discharged and not recharged sufficiently since "virtually no driving takes place." "BMW Motorrad show that no comparable situations occur in road traffic or during circuit training."

I see nothing that points to the Odyssey or any other aftermarket AGM battery or the OEM battery as not being up to the task but it tends to point to a weakness in the integral ABS system in this particular circumstance.

QUOTE>>""By the way ROCKLIVES, would you really mount your battey sideways in your bike?"".. REPLY>> Me? Nope!! I mounted it traditionally. The manufacturer states that the Glass mat may be installed in any position other than upside down and it will function perfectly.... I read every ones opinion on posts, and respect any and all, as long as it does not get personal...Now in reference to the Odyssey. I promise you that my experience, and so many others on this site, seem to share the same opinions of the Odyssey compared to traditional and BMW gel. It has crank, and re charge rates superior to any other that we have tried. However use what you want, just enjoy your BMW.

READ SOMETHING ELSE

The only good advice I've seen you give. I'm about to use the "IGNORE" button for the first time. I've read my last gmac post. thanks, Jerry

gmac quote from other battery thread.

"Sealed batteries also do not provide the power output needed to run the abs on BMW's."

The problem we are having with you gmac is that you are not giving your opinion but are stating FALSE FACTS and continue to do so even after being proven wrong. Are all the members with odessey batteries lying? Or are you just trolling?

The Odessey sealed battery DOES provide the power output needed to run the abs on BMW's. Very easily I might add. Thats from actual experience of many members who have them, including myself, and not as in your case hearsay.

Happy trolling.

The users of these batteries all agreee that the Oddysey or any of the other sealed type batteries do not meet the electrical needs of the high power required of the BMW abs system.

Stay away from the sealed batteries on the abs equiped BMW's. They also say that a special type of charger is needed for these batteries, this is also bogus and just a money maker on the part of the dealers and battery mfg's.

I'm going to jjump out and say this is bogus..

I had THREE different wet batteries in my 1100rt (96) over 4 years.. many problems--the most consistent was the ABS faulting out over & over.. I found that to get it working MOST days, I'd have to get the bikke running 3-5 minutes, then shut of and restart immediately, as it would reset the computer and the battery would have high enough voltage to hold it.. MOST annoying.

last year I got a new gel cell.. Not a single lick of problem with that since then. NONE.. the starter motor spins faster, it never faults out the ABS, and it's been great..

I dunno about battery tenders. i didn't buy my bike to baby sit it--I bought it to ride.. if it sits without running, it's a max of about 36 hrs....

Has anyone used a Powertron Battery? I found this battery on Ebay ( Ebay-Powertron Battery). The thing I like about the battery is the terminal connectors. I don't know anything about the brand, but I like the idea of having a connector that helps keep the cables from coming loose.

Bear,

1 Never heard of that battery. Doesn't say if it's gel or AGM.

2. An Absorbed Glass Mat battery will be the most trouble free and long lasting for your BMW.

3 I've owned a bunch of BMW's and have NEVER had a battery terminal vibrate loose and lose connection in over 500k miles of riding..

4. Just buy the Odyssey like everyone else and put your battery problems behind you.

dopeslap.gif

I checked out the list of applicable models for the Odyssey battery (PC680) but don't see the 1150 listed. Can someone please confirm that this battery is correct for my 04 RT?

Thanks,

Bob

My $.02

Go to www.batteryweb.com

Click motorcycles and BMW and 1100,

if you look closely, there is a link for motorcycle clubs,

enter a number and you get a nice dicount on the Panasonic delivered to your house from a responsible company (or at least I have found).

Cheers.

RTSpink: the PC680 is the correct battery for the R1150RT. Most people mount them sideways with the terminals facing towards the left side of the bike.

My $.02

Go to www.batteryweb.com

Click motorcycles and BMW and 1100,

if you look closely, there is a link for motorcycle clubs,

enter a number and you get a nice dicount on the Panasonic delivered to your house from a responsible company (or at least I have found).

Cheers.

Good suggestion but the price is still $70. Digikey, a very reputable electronics vendor that I and other have used for years, sells the same battery for $44.88. www.digikey.com. Cheers, Jerry

This is an interesting thread. I cannot see lumping all Sealed Batteries together. This is the same as many non motorcycle riders thinking that all motorcycles are Harleys. There is a big difference in Sealed Batteries!

I attended my 1st Lead Acid Battery School back in the late 50’s when the Lead Acid Battery was almost the only choice available in the Automotive and Aviation Industry. Since that time I’ve been to the initial training schools on the Multi-Cell Ni-Cad and Sealed Gel Type Batteries and I still try to attend yearly IA Renewal Seminars on all Aircraft Batteries. I’m not an expert or Battery Engineer but I do know Batteries better than most.

The OEM Lead Acid Batteries that were supplied with most of the R1100RTs were and still are an excellent Battery if properly serviced (brought on line) from a Dry Charged State. To begin with the OEM Lead Acid Batteries, if you read the Initial charge Instructions, require an Electrolyte with a Specific Gravity of 1.280 and a proper initial charge before installation. Back in the early 90’s I got in a habit of checking BMW Dealers across the States as to what Electrolyte and procedure they used with the new Lead Acid Batteries they installed in the new BMW Motorcycles and the replacement Batteries they sold across the parts counter. The majorities of the dealers were using Automotive Electrolyte with a Specific Gravity of 1.265 and gave no initial charge before installing. When the weather was warm the only evidence of using improper Electrolyte was the continual venting (gassing) of the batteries trying to obtain a full charge and that would require adding distilled water almost every 3,000 miles or less or the plates were exposed. In cold weather you would experience quite a voltage drop and the resulting hard starts and ABS faults. This was not a fault of the Lead Acid Battery but of improper initial servicing!

As the years passed the first sealed batteries arrived for General Aviation Aircraft followed up years later by those installed as OEM on the BMW Motorcycles. According to the Battery Engineers at the schools and seminars I’ve attended, the sealed Gel Batteries were an interim effort that didn’t give the output or longevity they desired. In private those engineers kept hinting at the new AGM Batteries that were to come. I personally stayed away from the Sealed Gel Batteries but instead I bought all the new Dry Charged OEM Lead Acid Batteries that I could find. My Lead Acid Batteries always gave me over 5 years of service and I always kept them on Battery Tenders.

When the PC-680 Odyssey Batteries started becoming popular I stood back and waited to see how they held up. About 6 months ago I finally bit the bullet and bought a couple of PC-680 Odyssey Batteries to try out. I also bought the BMW Adapters which I found out were not needed and actually got in the way. I tried standard upright mounting but finally installed them in my 2 R1100RTs on their side. I found that by cutting a few tie-wraps I wound up with an extremely neat install using the original battery lead connectors. Like on everything I do I torqued the leads to the battery.

Now, 6 months later, I have never used a Battery Tender (I’ve got 11 of them on everything that has a Lead Acid Battery in my Hangar). I’ve let 2 weeks go by and had many below freezing starts on my R1100RT with the PC-680 Odyssey Battery and I’m so impressed I just bought one for my son’s K1200RS. I kept all the removed Lead Acid Battery install parts in my trip parts case in case I’m on a trip and this Odyssey Battery fails on me.

One note to mention is that I own and service many Lead Acid and Multi-Cell Ni-Cad Batteries installed in my Fixed and Rotary Wing Aircraft to this day. As an Independent FAA Airframe and Powerplant Examiner (DME) I have tested every applicant on the differences of and proper servicing of Lead Acid and Ni-Cad Batteries.

Bear,

1 Never heard of that battery. Doesn't say if it's gel or AGM.

2. An Absorbed Glass Mat battery will be the most trouble free and long lasting for your BMW.

3 I've owned a bunch of BMW's and have NEVER had a battery terminal vibrate loose and lose connection in over 500k miles of riding..

4. Just buy the Odyssey like everyone else and put your battery problems behind you.

dopeslap.gif

look at the picture of the battery. it say lead-acid on it. it's more $ than a pc680 and lead-acid...fagetaboutit!

This is an interesting thread. I cannot see lumping all Sealed Batteries together. This is the same as many non motorcycle riders thinking that all motorcycles are Harleys. There is a big difference in Sealed Batteries!

I attended my 1st Lead Acid Battery School back in the late 50’s when the Lead Acid Battery was almost the only choice available in the Automotive and Aviation Industry. Since that time I’ve been to the initial training schools on the Multi-Cell Ni-Cad and Sealed Gel Type Batteries and I still try to attend yearly IA Renewal Seminars on all Aircraft Batteries. I’m not an expert or Battery Engineer but I do know Batteries better than most.

The OEM Lead Acid Batteries that were supplied with most of the R1100RTs were and still are an excellent Battery if properly serviced (brought on line) from a Dry Charged State. To begin with the OEM Lead Acid Batteries, if you read the Initial charge Instructions, require an Electrolyte with a Specific Gravity of 1.280 and a proper initial charge before installation. Back in the early 90’s I got in a habit of checking BMW Dealers across the States as to what Electrolyte and procedure they used with the new Lead Acid Batteries they installed in the new BMW Motorcycles and the replacement Batteries they sold across the parts counter. The majorities of the dealers were using Automotive Electrolyte with a Specific Gravity of 1.265 and gave no initial charge before installing. When the weather was warm the only evidence of using improper Electrolyte was the continual venting (gassing) of the batteries trying to obtain a full charge and that would require adding distilled water almost every 3,000 miles or less or the plates were exposed. In cold weather you would experience quite a voltage drop and the resulting hard starts and ABS faults. This was not a fault of the Lead Acid Battery but of improper initial servicing!

As the years passed the first sealed batteries arrived for General Aviation Aircraft followed up years later by those installed as OEM on the BMW Motorcycles. According to the Battery Engineers at the schools and seminars I’ve attended, the sealed Gel Batteries were an interim effort that didn’t give the output or longevity they desired. In private those engineers kept hinting at the new AGM Batteries that were to come. I personally stayed away from the Sealed Gel Batteries but instead I bought all the new Dry Charged OEM Lead Acid Batteries that I could find. My Lead Acid Batteries always gave me over 5 years of service and I always kept them on Battery Tenders.

When the PC-680 Odyssey Batteries started becoming popular I stood back and waited to see how they held up. About 6 months ago I finally bit the bullet and bought a couple of PC-680 Odyssey Batteries to try out. I also bought the BMW Adapters which I found out were not needed and actually got in the way. I tried standard upright mounting but finally installed them in my 2 R1100RTs on their side. I found that by cutting a few tie-wraps I wound up with an extremely neat install using the original battery lead connectors. Like on everything I do I torqued the leads to the battery.

Now, 6 months later, I have never used a Battery Tender (I’ve got 11 of them on everything that has a Lead Acid Battery in my Hangar). I’ve let 2 weeks go by and had many below freezing starts on my R1100RT with the PC-680 Odyssey Battery and I’m so impressed I just bought one for my son’s K1200RS. I kept all the removed Lead Acid Battery install parts in my trip parts case in case I’m on a trip and this Odyssey Battery fails on me.

One note to mention is that I own and service many Lead Acid and Multi-Cell Ni-Cad Batteries installed in my Fixed and Rotary Wing Aircraft to this day. As an Independent FAA Airframe and Powerplant Examiner (DME) I have tested every applicant on the differences of and proper servicing of Lead Acid and Ni-Cad Batteries.

yeah what he said!

PC-680 Odyssey = best battery in the world.

fits all 1100 & 1150 rt/r/gs/s/rs > not sure about 1200s.

must be getting cold...plenty of battery threads poping up.

i also call BS!

i use a battery tender jr. just fine on the pc680.

others use a full-size tender just fine.

The problem with dealing with the truth, you can not move away from it by calling names or shooting the messinger.

Experience and facts are what replace the name calling, so keep calling.! And stay away from those maintence free batteries. Truth always hurts.

Archived