IGNORED

Removing rear-view mirror housing on 2011 R1200 RT

Michael B

Is there a video or good instructions on how to remove the rear-view mirror housing (the first part you see sitting on the bike) on my 2011 R1200 RT on this or other web sites? The reason I ask...I just put on my old handlebar Hippo Hands (they work unbelievably well in cold Cincinnati weather!!!) but they block my below-the-arm rear view mirrors. I've found some slick fairing mount mirrors from Napolean Baren and Ken Sean that would mount on top of the mirror housing and would be great for year-round additional rear visibility. I think the additional mirrors wold almost look like OEM.

I don't want to mess anything up on such a gorgeous bike. Thanks for any suggestions. Michael B

I'm not sure if this would work with the 2011 RT but it worked when the underarm mirrors on my 1150RT became blocked by additinal luggage I was carrying on a long trip.

I bought the handle bar mounted mirrors for an 1150R which mounted onto the clutch & front brake lever housing. Because these housings are the same for the 1150 R and RT, they fitted. This then gave me the use of both underarm & over arm mirrors.

7d32709d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

kurt1305, thanks much for the excellent reference. I checked it out and it looks like it will help. My thought was to mount universal R & L fairing mount rear-view mirrors using the tops of the existing OEM fairing mirrors as the base. I would need to access the mirror housing's inside for bracket mounting purposes. The whole issue came about because my Hippo Hands blocked my fairing rear view mirrors. As reference, here are an example of the universal rear views I considered: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Sean-Fairing-Mount-Mirrors/dp/B000GU7LOW

Now, for those of us with 2010+ R1200 RT bikes who want more rear views, after much research, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. A & S BMW in California has put together a really slick set of mirrors that mount on the handle bars. It comes as a kit with all parts. Kinda pricey, but it will work. Check it out: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76241 My problem with this solution is that I have to punch holes in my Hippo Hands, which I would like to avoid.

2. For a cheap/out of the box solution, check out: http://www.amazon.com/Auxilary-Wide-Angle-Side-View-Mirror-Medium/dp/B000ALJYEW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1326573882&sr=8-6 The mounting bracket will not work with our OEM mirrors, but they will work if you velcro them on top of our bike's OEM mirrors. These little mirrors reviewed quite well. Obviously not as good as the A & S solution above, but with these little guys I don't have to mess up my Hippo's.

Hope this helps someone out there looking for more mirrors. I think this forum is a great way to get good farkle ideas, and lots more really good stuff!

So.....enjoy! Michael B

Archived