IGNORED

How Many Lights

JohnK

Ok here is my dilemma. I am in need of upgrading my lighting system on my bike currently I am completely stock setup on a 04 RT. I will be changing my commute on the bike where I change 5 major freeway interchanges in Southern California, I do split lanes and ride the diamond lane.

Although I do not want to look like a Christmas tree going down the road I want to become as visible as possible. The only item installed to increase visibility currently is reflective tape.

What are the best items can be added to the bike that gives the most visibility and who is the manufacture. Thanks in advance for your suggestions thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Personally, I run in stealth mode while splitting on the freeway. It keeps people from noticing me, which keeps them from reacting to me. I know that sounds counter-productive, but I found that my life got much easier when people stopped noticing me on the road.

But, the best thing I've seen for making yourself more conspicuous, is motolights. They create that "big triangle" of light, like they have on the front of locomotives. VERY conspicuous.

Other options are the PIAA 1100's that mount under the oil cooler. They are not nearly as conspicuous as the Motolights, but they look more "stock" on the bike.

And, you could always go with something big on EMP brackets over the mirrors. That would be illegal (you can't have lights above the headlight), but is very conspicuous, and those brackets allow you to mount just about any light you want, indluding the big Hella's or the PIAA 910's. If you're rolling down the road with 910's blaring, and someone doesn't notice you, then all hope is lost.

But, I'll caution you...don't rely on lights, reflective tape, or anything else to make people notice you. If you are in any way, shape, or form depending on other people to see you, then you are putting yourself in a very dangerous situation. People pull out in front of big huge red firetrucks blaring their horns and sirens and with all of their lights flashing, then claim (honestly) that "I didn't see it." If they don't see the firetruck, there's nothing you can do to make them see you.

Russell.

Like you I have been ridding stealth and ride with the belief no one sees you, so be prepared for anything no matter how many lights you have.

I just want to increase the possibility someone may notice a few more lights including some sort of blinking break light. It is the Freeway interchange that I think the lights may have the most value.

Before I only changed Freeways once now it will be a 5 times in the commute. If the best setup only gives me a 1/1000 increase of being seen by someone then that would be good enough for me. clap.gif

russell_bynum

If the best setup only gives me a 1/1000 increase of being seen by someone then that would be good enough for me

Only if they're able to react in a positive and helpful manner after they see you. More often than not, people would notice me, be startled, and jerk the wheel in some random direction. Brake stabbing was another popular (and not helpful) reaction.

For augmenting the rear lighting, I would consider run-n-lights lights (convert the turn signals into "always on" running lights), hyperlights (a cluster of very bright LED's that flash when you apply the brake), and/or one of those "back off" license plate frames with the flashing LED's. And of course, do stuff like the Moto Equip reflective sticker kits for your bags, fender, topcase, and helmet.

I am deep in rush hour traffic 5 days a week in ATL, we do not split lanes here, hard enough making sure no one runs you over just being in a full lane, eek.gif and have found the following to be things I believe you need.

Two things I have added to my GT are Piaa 1100 driving lights, and Brake!LED brake light.

I am hoping for Santa to bring me light buddies Brake lights to add to the turn signals, as well as Stebel Air Horn…..

The helmet has reflective tape on it, and the Gear is also reflective. Wear it all the time!!

You may also want to look into a Slugger bat, just in case thumbsup.gif

I added a HID low beam 4,300K light system to my RT and was very pleased with the unexpected benefit of increased acknowledgement and courtesy with same direction traffic on freeways.

Brown BMW in Pomona has an HID kit that can be installed. I have it and it works well. I also have the rear running light kit installed and reflective rear tape. I am considering the optional BMW rear running light addition and PIAA lights.

"What are the best items can be added to the bike that gives the most visibility and who is the manufacture. Thanks in advance for your suggestions"

What I THINK gives me "better" visibility is Motolights up front and HyperLites (additional taillights/flashing brakelight) in the rear.

Had them on my RT, have them on my LT and Street Glide.

regards

You may also want to look into a Slugger bat, just in case thumbsup.gif

Or try Mikko's elegant solution! blush.gif

IMG_00062.jpg

I've got the 50W Amber Motolights down low and out wide and I feel like I'm Moses parting the Red Sea when I'm splitting! smile.gif

Of course it helps that the CHP (and now SDPD!) ride Beemers and that little mote of doubt frequently makes them give me the benefit of it . . . if they see me at all! crazy.gif

I also have the Running Lights that come with the Signal Minder (after Leslie radioed to me from the sweep on a ride I was leading that my brake light was burned out--only to find out that nope: that's all you get! eek.gif )

And finally I have the Hyper Lights (two bricks of BRIGHT red LED's) installed up high just under the back edge of the stock luggage rack and set to flash five times quickly before going solid red (legal in CA). In re: rear conspicuity, I ALWAYS keep a close eye on my 06:00 when slowing or stopped and if I'm already stopped, I will routinely release and re-apply the brake (to re-start the eye-catching flashing sequence) when I see someone coming up behind. You should see how much front-bumper-dive I can elicit with those Hyper-Lights! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

The "Brake!" aux light is also very noticeable and if I could fine a way to cleanly mount it higher somehow I might recommend it over the Hyper Lights, but with the average Californian riding in some rediculously jacked-up MONSTER truck/SUV, they can see my high mounted Hyper lights much better than anything down on the mud-flap (below the license plate).

I've got a bunch of pics somewhere on My Smug Mug site , but I'll have to go find them for you if you're interested.

John -

On my 04RT I have a Kisan Pathfinder headlight modulator wired to the high beam, so I can turn it off and on at will. On the rear I have SOLAS grade reflective tape on my rear fender, and on the back and side of my side cases I have my turn signals wired as running lights with a Kisan SignalMinder, and have the GizmoMill flashing LED tail light replacement.

I don't generally ride at night but if I did I would add some nighttime visibility like motolights or PIAA's. Ride safe.

I was riding with a friend on an identical bike today and noticed that the stock headlight arrangement is not very conspicuous in daylight.

russell_bynum

I've got the 50W Amber Motolights down low and out wide and I feel like I'm Moses parting the Red Sea when I'm splitting!

That's another good point...the amber motolight bulbs that you and Les use are far more conspicuous that the standard white bulbs.

And the Signalminder is good advice as well, since it gives you an auto-canceling turn signal AND running lights in one easy package without having to do any rewiring. We put one on Lisa's bike and really like it. My only gripe with the Signalminder is that when you're in running light mode, both turn signal indicators on the dash are lit. I suppose you just get used to that.

I found for night driving my PIAA lights are great, but for daytime visibility I tried some inexpensive yellow fog lights. I made brackets and mounted them on the heads of my RT so they gave me a wider track of light. I have had numerous comments about how well they show up. Most people say I look like the sun coming up behind them. The lights are 55 watt and very bright yellow. At night I still use the PIAA's mounted above the front wheel so I can see better.

Ok, here is the list that I am pretty sure I will install, any feedback is appreciated.

Front:

HID Head Light

Motolight Amber bulb fork mounts wired to fog light switch

Running lights w/signal minder

Rear:

Brake! Light

And an additional Hyper lights attached to luggage rack

And a 50 cal attached to the rear for tailgaters thumbsup.gif

I already have the reflective tape

Is there any modulator that can connect to the Motolights that can give a little pulsating effect (L/R action) that can really clear the traffic in front of me? grin.gif

Although I do not want to look like a Christmas tree going down the road I want to become as visible as possible. The only item installed to increase visibility currently is reflective tape.

This response is not exactly on track about lights, but it's close. I understand what some folks are saying about NOT wanting to be noticed because they don't want to provoke a startled reaction in other drivers. No doubt that can happen. I feel a bit differently, but that may be because I don't do lane splitting.

My take on visibility and safetly is this: I CAN take care of some issues that statistically show up as factors in motorcycle accidents like alcohol, speeding, and not wearing a helmet. But what concerns me the most are the things I CAN'T control, like the other driver who is precoccupied with a cell phone, fiddling with the radio, being late for an appointment, day dreaming. This guy could be behind me, heading towards me, or coming in from either side. So, I DO want to be noticed, and the sooner the better. So I wear a bright yellow, reflective vest over my jacket. OK, I look like a highway worker. It is very uncool. It ruins the looks of my BMW and the expensive jacket and pants I got. But I do show up in traffic and I notice that when I wear the vest, other drivers take note of my presence in traffic and cut me a little more slack. They take me into account. They don't turn left in front of me as often or as close; they give me more space all around. Maybe they just don't want to be seen near me. Everyone to his own thing, of course, but I have concluded that if I am going to be noticed by other drivers in traffic, day and night, I pretty much have to look like a clown. And I do. Sometimes I wish I hand't tought of it. But I think this cheap, bright clothing tilts the odds significantly in my favor and all I have to sacrifice is my ego.

Does anyone else out there confess to wearing this kind of stuff?

You can find safety shirts, vests, and jackets here.

-Eric

I confess that I just bought one that actually looks pretty cool. It is called a "Conspicuity" brand vest, designed (I believe) just for motorcyclists. It is heavy mesh with a zip front and two adjustable straps in the side to snug it up, so it won't flap in the wind. The stripes are highly reflective heavy vinyl, two blue and one white shaped in sort of a V-shape. Comfortable, highly visible day and night, and doesn't look too goofy at all.

Re; lights

On the RT I have PIAA 1100s, PIAA HID headlight and Kisan for illuminating the turn signals as running lights, all in front. I also use the factory driving lights sometimes and have the headlight adjusted as high as it will go.

On the rear of the RT I use the Kisan to light the signals as running lights (I dim them to the lower setting at night) and a LED license frame with the Back-Off modulator tied into it and the stock brakelamp. I would have a third brakelight high on the topcase as well, but I only use it when my wife rides with me, which is approx. a couple times a year.

I'm behind in getting the FJR set-up properly. I have the fork mounted motolights with amber bulbs, just haven't got them on yet. The headlights (dual) on the FJR are 10x better than the RT, and the front signals are lit as running lights as a factory setting. The taillight is much brighter than the RT as well, as are the signals. No excuse, I still need to get additonal LEDs on the rear.

I am curious to know how many of you use your PIAA 1100s at night? I feel like I am blinding oncoming drivers in traffic if I use them, although I don't get "flashed" that often. I'd be interested in opinions on this, as we all know the RT headlight is weak alone and the driving lamps don't help much. Thx!

Reflective vests are certainly better than nothing, in fact the G'ment thinks it's such a good idea they require the active duty personnel out here to be wearing one to get on any military base. They're trying desperately to stem the increasing tide of active duty M/C fatalities--which I support wholeheartedly! In fact, if they're involved in an accident anywhere (on or off base) and are not wearing it I've heard that they will forfeit their medical coverage as well! blush.gif

I know all the Navy guys heading in to work with me in the mornings do stand out from the background, BUT: I'M LOOKING!! smirk.gif A good lighting set-up and a white helmet and a reflective vest might help you to be more frequently seen, but it is NOT a panacea. While these countermeasures may save you needing to execute a few more evasive maneuvers than otherwise, if you're not ALWAYS ready with those skills on tap, ACTIVELY LOOKING for potential problems, reacting as quickly/automatically as possible when they do turn bad (before the point of no return), and riding so as to NOT put yourself in these positions to give the cagers a cheap shot at you, then you can indeed look like the Christmas tree in Rockerfeller Center and they'll still kill you.

"But . . . he looked right at me!! We made eye-contact! He MUST've seen me! I don't know why he pulled right out/turned right in front of me!" blush.gif

"I never saw the bike! He must've come out of nowhere . . . . " confused.gif

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this conversation. frown.gif

But with all that said, I probably look like a freakin' UFO as well, just because it gets me down the road more efficiently, and my next helmet will also be plain white (with a stripe of Fernando's reflective tape around the bottom and above the visor! thumbsup.gif ). If I can take those 10-25% who actually ARE looking for me out of the equation, it frees up more of my "attention dollar" to spend on avoiding the completely brain-dead cagers that would love to have me do some body-work on their shiny new SUV! tongue.gif

Another shameless plug for the amber Motolights. We had some pesky water issues with a few of ours (which ML did a bang-up job finally resolving, BTW! smile.gif ), but I rode with them for awhile, then had to remove them and rode without while I sent them back for repair, then got them back and re-installed and rode for a while more, then had to remove them again and rode without until I finally got the issue (hopefully) resolved for good. During these sequential periods of riding with and without the ML's, during my regular commute as well as a few long trips, I was really able to tell the difference their presence made. The difference was HUGE, specifically: lane splitting (the whole Moses and the Red Sea thing mentioned above! grin.gif ), cars pulling out from side streets and driveways (lots of back bumper kick-up), and keeping tabs on Leslie, my awesome sweeper on our trips and group rides (one quick glance in any mirror, catch that flash of amber then eyes back to the road and keep on flyin'! cool.gif ) It was so clear when I figured it out. At the end of a ride I'd be mentally drained: "Why is everyone trying harder than normal today to KILL ME?? Oh yeah, the ML's are in the shop again." smirk.gif

Is there any modulator that can connect to the Motolights that can give a little pulsating effect (L/R action) that can really clear the traffic in front of me? grin.gif
I assume from your smiley that you're kidding, because as I'm sure some of our LEO's can possibly confirm, I do believe that sort of alternating wig-wag lighting is not allowed in California. A headlight modulator, yes, and the brake light can flash a certain number of times (I think it's five) before going solid and that is also allowed. But there's nothing to keep me from checking the operation of the Motolight switch as I'm approaching some brain-dead cager rolling out of a driveway who appears to be looking right through me, or re-applying my brake while stopped at a light as traffic is coming to a stop behind me! grin.gif

FWIW, here's something I ran into:

"Wells and colleagues (p 857) analysed 463 motorcycle drivers admitted to hospital following a road traffic incident and 1233 other drivers (control group) to evaluate how wearing conspicuous attire affected the risk of having an accident. They found that with reflective or fluorescent clothing the risk of a crash injury was reduced by 37%, with a white helmet by 24%, and with headlights by 27%."

I assume from your smiley that you're kidding

Even though I am kidding slightly about modulated amber Motolights I still would be interested in knowing if anything may be available. grin.gif

Not that I would ever use anything illegal or break any laws on my bike, tongue.gif I would not be opposed to doing a little testing of them on the track of course, never on the street bncry.gifgrin.gif

russell_bynum

I am curious to know how many of you use your PIAA 1100s at night?

I use my PIAA 1100's at night and don't have issues with oncomming traffic, but I've got mine aimed really low.

russell_bynum

The difference was HUGE, specifically: lane splitting (the whole Moses and the Red Sea thing mentioned above! ), cars pulling out from side streets and driveways (lots of back bumper kick-up), and keeping tabs on Leslie, my awesome sweeper on our trips and group rides (one quick glance in any mirror, catch that flash of amber then eyes back to the road and keep on flyin'!

I'm sure the amber color makes positive difference there, but I notice much more of that "parting the red sea" stuff when I ride Lisa's RS than I do when I'm on the RT. The difference: She's got motolights (with white bulbs) while I've got the PIAA 1100's. I also find it much easier to spot motolight-equipped bikes than PIAA-under-the-oil-cooler bikes in my mirror because the PIAA's tend to blend in with the headlight while the ML's really stand out with that big triangle.

I do and it certainly helps,on this side of the pond our lovely government will not allow us to have headlight modulaters or flashing red brake lights(only police vehicles are allowed not even fire or ambulance can use them)as for the signal minder option most police will turn a blind eye though you will be prosecuted under a lighting and use act if you are stopped for some other offence blush.gif

Lane splitting here is allowed providing the traffic is at a vertual standstill allthough that doesn`t stop some riders doing 70mph between the cars dopeslap.gifI use a couple of small spot lights mounted under the oil cooler and a very loud Horn wink.gif

Drive safe,Del

Blue Beemer Dude

I find that flashing and strobe blue lights are the best way to be noticed. Unfortunately, that tends to land you in jail unless you are a LEO. smirk.gif

See my avatar for the current setup of the $29.95 pep boy specials on the bottom of the front forks, the PIAA under the oil cooler, and the Cee Bailey headlight protector with amber fog light cover. The Kisan modulator was off for the picture, and you can't see the rear flashing thingie and supplemental BMW brake light LED farkle.

Looking for the fluorescent orange Air Flow III suit when it comes out. thumbsup.gif

Michael

Personally, I run in stealth mode while splitting on the freeway. It keeps people from noticing me, which keeps them from reacting to me. I know that sounds counter-productive, but I found that my life got much easier when people stopped noticing me on the road.

Back to sniffing glue, eh? grin.gifeek.gif

The "Brake!" aux light is also very noticeable and if I could fine a way to cleanly mount it higher somehow I might recommend it over the Hyper Lights, but with the average Californian riding in some rediculously jacked-up MONSTER truck/SUV, they can see my high mounted Hyper lights much better than anything down on the mud-flap (below the license plate).

Jamie, the "Brake!" lights isn't an under-the-license aux light like the BMW aux LED light. It's a replacement for your stock brake light bulb that gives you super-bright LED bulbs with built-in very fast flashing when you apply the brake. I've got one on my bike. See here. That being said, I can also understand the desire for a higher-mounted light. I've seen installations of an LED strip mounted on the back of the top box, like the one Ken H. described here. That'd get the light up higher than under-rack Hyperlights, but of course requires that you leave the top box mounted if you want the light.

Reflective vests are certainly better than nothing, in fact the G'ment thinks it's such a good idea they require the active duty personnel out here to be wearing one to get on any military base. They're trying desperately to stem the increasing tide of active duty M/C fatalities--which I support wholeheartedly! In fact, if they're involved in an accident anywhere (on or off base) and are not wearing it I've heard that they will forfeit their medical coverage as well! blush.gif

ICON has addressed this market by coming out with their "MIL-SPEC" vest that has the regulation-meeting color and reflectivity, in addition to a handy ID pocket, that doesn't look as dorky as wearing the usual construction-style vest (for those concerned about such things). See it here.

Archived