IGNORED

Oil? Tires? Seat? Windshield? Nahhh -- "ridability"?

Geoffster

I thought about asking a highly provocative and divisive question, but since those threads exist on every forum, I'll settle for this:

I had 2005 and 2009 hexheads, and already have 1,800 miles on my new camhead in 3 weeks. Is it me or is the camhead much more "drivable" ("ridable" for bikes, I guess)? Defined as more agnostic about RPM and throttle opening? Easier to get rolling? More torquey at low revs?

The reason I ask is I've heard riders say that despite BMW's claim of more HP and torque throughout the range, they really can't tell any difference.

I can. Can you?

Yes I can. Compared to my '08 RT, my '12 RT seems much more torquey and ready to rev. I like that the owners manual tells you to take it up to the 8500 redline occasionally during breakin.

Yes, quite a bit of difference in breakin procedure and recommended oil weight. I have to agree, the ' 12 seems to have a little more to it. Actually, even a little more than what I'd think the different head design would add.

So can I. When chasing Bernie, I'm usually one gear higher on my '10 than I was on my '05 for the same pull out of the corner. Sounds much better too. Bill

I traded an 07 GS for my 11 RT, so some differences in final gearing and weight do exist. I don't recall the GS ever having issues on takeoff from a stop but the new RT requires some significant throttle to get going when it's cold, at least until it warms up, then I don't notice any struggle. But one thing the RT has done, which I don't remember the Hex head GS ever doing, is stalling as I start to takeoff from a stop. It's done this four times now (in 3300miles) and usually after warmed up and upon application of throttle before clutch release. It's as if it loses a position signal and just shuts off, and not from takeoff technique. It always restarted okay, and runs fine the rest of the day. It almost tried to stall recently as I came close to a full stop (then revving the throttle to resume) but It caught just short of an engine shutdown. My hope is that these infrequent stoppages go away after time, since it would be difficult for the dealer to troubleshoot something like this, unless it becomes widespread. As far as engine performance, the Camhead seems to feel "tighter" than the GS. It has a quieter top end valve gear (of course all the tupperware helps here) and when I rev it it just seems tighter and crisper as far as response and sound. I don't often see redline but I take it over 7k a few times a day and I like that it doesn't seem to mind it at all. As far as midrange acceleration (around 3500-5500), it doesn't seem any quicker than the GS. But the GS had lower gearing, lighter weight and not as much of a torque dip that the Camheads have (see the power and torque curves for this engine- I think it's a challenge to tune the intake tract with opposed cylinders, compared to an inline).

Ozonewanderer
But one thing the RT has done, which I don't remember the Hex head GS ever doing, is stalling as I start to takeoff from a stop. It's done this four times now (in 3300miles) and usually after warmed up and upon application of throttle before clutch release. It's as if it loses a position signal and just shuts off, and not from takeoff technique. It always restarted okay, and runs fine the rest of the day. It almost tried to stall recently as I came close to a full stop (then revving the throttle to resume) but It caught just short of an engine shutdown. My hope is that these infrequent stoppages go away after time, since it would be difficult for the dealer to troubleshoot something like this, unless it becomes widespread.

I would have this stalling checked out by the dealer. The only time my 2010 RT stalled was on my first ride taking it home from the dealer, starting from a stop light. I was not expecting such a tall first gear or the need to give it more revs, having just come from a Harley.

With the electronic readout doo dads, the dealer may be able to find the cause.

BTW I assume that Frozen Toe NY is right next to Syracuse?

• 3 weeks later...

Even though I miss my 1975 R75/6 and 1982 R80RT I know my 2010 RT is about twice the bike. I'm kidding by comparing these bikes but on a serious note, I think the 82 had 50HP.

I'm real happy with the cam head but I wonder what the water cooled boxer will have in store for us.

tsp

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

In the first couple of years; leaks, impellers breaking, bad thermostats, corrosion, new (use only) $75.00 BMW antifreeze, radiator recall, temperture gauge failure and head gasket wrapage. By 2016, most of those -first few production runs - will be corrected or as is policy ignored and filed under, "no comment on the reported failures from BMW headquarters and all dealers contacted were unaware of any problems!"

I ride the make and like it, but just using experience as a guide....including their water-cooled cars.

• 4 weeks later...
In the first couple of years; leaks, impellers breaking, bad thermostats, corrosion, new (use only) $75.00 BMW antifreeze, radiator recall, temperture gauge failure and head gasket wrapage. By 2016, most of those -first few production runs - will be corrected or as is policy ignored and filed under, "no comment on the reported failures from BMW headquarters and all dealers contacted were unaware of any problems!"

I ride the make and like it, but just using experience as a guide....including their water-cooled cars.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Before I bought my camhead rt I test rode both a camhead and hexhead back to back. I thought the camhead came off the line easier, felt less like it would stall.

Archived