IGNORED

Need Shocks

GordonB

Oh great masters of the BMW forums.....

My 1100RT 61,000 miles, needs shocks, never been replaced.

Any suggetions? other than rebuild the originals? I was thinking either Ohlins or Works.

Or should I save the money for a 1200RT.

Bike runs great and looks great, thanks to everyones help on this forum! thumbsup.gif

Oh great masters of the BMW forums.....

My 1100RT 61,000 miles, needs shocks, never been replaced.

Any suggetions? other than rebuild the originals? I was thinking either Ohlins or Works.

Or should I save the money for a 1200RT.

Bike runs great and looks great, thanks to everyones help on this forum! thumbsup.gif

61k on the original shocks? I guess you're not too particular about handling blush.gif)

If you're going to keep the bike for any length of time, I suggest Works or Ohlins because they are rebuildable and are cost effective over a long period of time. I went with Works because, when I tour with my wife, we are pushing GVWR and we ride just the same as when I ride solo with the guys and I HATE that scraping sound the center stand makes. The people are customer service oriented (swapped the spring free when I realized it wasn't stiff enough). It's difficult to adjust, though. My local dealer (Irv Seaver's) supplied an adjuster off of a police shock and Works mounted it on their shock free. Now, it works just like a BMW shock.

A lot of my friends ride Ohlins and love them. I believe you can get custom springs on them, but if a stock one is O.K., you can get them quick. I believe they have dropped prices and now are closer (but still more than) Works shocks.

My two centavos.

I agree ohlins and works are great shocks.

What type of riding do you do?

Is the bike loaded?

Do you want to be able to tune them for the way and type of riding you do?

How much can you spend?

Are you planning on keeping the bike?

Just ordered some Ohlins for the Ape from Dan Kyle at Kyle racing on Tuesday. They're in my hands today with custom-fit springs drop shipped direct from Ohlins-USA.

Can't beat that with a pogo-stick.

Gordon,

I recently changed out my 1100RT shocks at 14K and have a whole new ride/feel to the bike. I considered the WORKS products, went to there shop in Canoga Park, Ca - great guys, very helpful. One item that arose as it related to my bike, was the need for me to provide them with the damper control unit off my OEM unit so they could use it on the new WORKS unit, saves some money.

Nonetheless, I went with a WILBER set, bought used from one of the guys here on the DB. These are rebuildable units, made to your specs. I am quite pleased with them.

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys thumbsup.gif

I had bought the bike with 49k on it, never rode before, so really did not know what 'good handling' was.

Xmas is coming grin.gif

Archived