IGNORED

Waterproof GPS systems

RTP Rider

Thinking about getting a GPS system for one of my motors.

Being in the PNW, I'm curious if any of the Garmin units are waterproof.

The 2610 seems like a great machine, but if it shorts out and blows up due to rain exposure, well that would be a bad thing!

Any insights on how durable the GPS units are out there relative to rain? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thinking about getting a GPS system for one of my motors.

Being in the PNW, I'm curious if any of the Garmin units are waterproof.

The 2610 seems like a great machine, but if it shorts out and blows up due to rain exposure, well that would be a bad thing!

Any insights on how durable the GPS units are out there relative to rain? Recommendations?

Thanks!

I think most of them are waterproof to the IPX-7 standard. From their website:

Most newer Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.

Check the specs on any individual unit to see whether they meet that standard. I think their PDA units are not waterproof.

The ram pressure of raindrops hitting the unit at 80 MPH far exceeds the water pressure at 1 meter of depth; this suggests that you don't want to position the unit out in the slipstream where it will get blasted while cruising. OTOH, the impact of a raindrop is a transient thing, so who knows? Bottom line is that I haven't heard of anyone here having problems with water penetrating the case on their GPS unit (though I'm sure someone will now speak up crazy.gif).

Some of the Garmins are rated to IPX7 (very waterproof - immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes), some are rated to IPX0 (not waterproof at all). The 2610 is rated to IPX7.

I've ridden in incredible rain where everything I was wearing was soaked through and the 2610 was fine. Just make sure the CompactFlash door is properly closed. Oddly enough, there were early issues on the 2610 with water entering the CF door, and they fixed the problem with a firmware upgrade, which is somewhat unexpected.

Water-related problems with the IPX7 Garmins are rare, and seem to be getting rarer since the GPS III days.

ClearwaterBMW

GPS means waterproof

they are all built that way

garmin makes some of the best units on the market

their customer support and software packages are UNrivaled

buy one... you won't be disappointed

greg

ClearwaterBMW

i new you'd like that one

the meaning was that.... GPS units by design HAVE to be waterproof.... there would be no reason to not offer that as standard

boats

bikes

handheld

even in cars....

no one makes one that is vulnerable to the water from above

that's what i meant

greg

GPS means waterproof

And all this time I thought it meant "Global Positioning System"? hehe

Kidding aside though... I've had the Garmin III, V, and now the 276C. All have seen torrential rain while sailing along mounted to my handlebars. I've never had a lick of trouble. Use caution looking at the 26xx series though. Some of them use Microdrives which are awesome for storage space, but have a mini hard drive spinning around and won't be real happy vibrating on your bike... especially if you're riding a GS off road or ride bumpy roads. I love my 276C garmin. With a 256MB chip I can pretty much get all I want of the US east of the missippi without constantly e-loading maps.

Good luck!

Joe Frickin' Friday
i new you'd like that one

the meaning was that.... GPS units by design HAVE to be waterproof.... there would be no reason to not offer that as standard

While waterproofness may be a desirable feature for many users, there's no inherent reason they must be waterproof; a fine reason not to offer it as standard is that it adds cost.

An important example is the Garmin Ique 3600.

Another link regarding Garmin waterproofing.

Ok sometimes I am a little slow. Any GPS is waterproof? I have been looking for a unit to mount on the bike in a more permanent way. My bike sit at work for 10 to 12 hrs a day rain, included.

Is there such a thing? I do thing I will stay with Garmin, but still unclear as to which one??

Will keep checking back

ClearwaterBMW

you aren't slow at all

you can mount almost any garmin on your bike and leave it in the rain forever....

at IPX-7 standard.....

you can submerse the unit for 1 meter for 30 minutes or something like that

my point....

i hope that you park your bike in a very SAFE area because gps units that stay mounted to your bike have a habit of "walking" away.... if you know what i mean

greg

Any GPS is waterproof?

No, no, no, no, no.

Some Garmin units, like the Street Pilot c320 and c330, are rated to IPX0, or not rated to be waterproof. These are units intended to be used inside cars. If you get them wet and they blow up, TFB for you.

Some Garmin units, like the GPS III+, GPS V, Street Pilot 2610, 376C, are rated to IPX7. These are intended to be waterproof. They're gasketed and sealed in all the right places. The units intended for outdoor or rugged use are rated to IPX7 and are pretty much waterproof.

To say "it's a GPS so it's waterproof" is just factually wrong.

As a reference, here and here you can find some badly-translated listings of what the ratings mean:

IPx0 - not protect

IPx1 - protect against the vertical fall of water drops

IPx2 - protect against the fall of water drops with inclination max of 15°

IPx3 - protect against the rain

IPx4 - protect against the water sprays

IPx5 - protect against water jets

IPx6 - protect against big waves

IPx7 - protect against the effects of the immersion

IPx8 - protected against the effects of the submersion

IPX      Protection Against Water 
        with Harmful Effects        Tested by          Meaning for Protection from water

0       No protection                  None             None

1      Vertically Dripping    Drip box for 10 min.     Falling drops of water, condensation

2      Dripping - 15° tilted  Drip box, 2.5 min. per side        Direct light streams of water, up to 15° from the vertical

3      Spraying  Oscillating tube ±60°, 10 min., 10l/min.      Direct sprays of water, up to 60° from the vertical

4      Splashing  Oscillating tube ±180°, 10 min., 10l/min           Water sprayed from all directions, limited ingress

5      Jetting   6.3mm dia. nozzle from 2.5 to 3 metres distance,12.5l/min. for 3 min.       Low pressure water jets from all directions, limited ingress

6     Powerful Jetting    12.5mm dia. nozzle from 2.5 to 3 metres distance,100l/min. for 3 min.     Strong jets of water, limited ingress

7     Temporary Immersion    Immersed in tank with water 0.15 m above top and 1 m above bottom. For 30 min.    Protected against the effects of temporary immersion in water

8     Continuous Immersion    Water-level and time as specified by manufacturer    Protected against the effects of continuous immersion in water  

ClearwaterBMW

ok

that sounds good

sorry to mislead

but there are more than enough good (in fact... great) garmin units that are IPX-7 to go around

find one and leave it outside all day.... every day of the year

greg

Well I'm not sure WHICH Garmin site you all are refering to when you state that the 2720 and 2730 are specified as waterproof...neither spec list shows ANY FORM of waterproof level indicated. Only the marine units seem to have a moisture resistance level indicated...???

Jim

Joe Frickin' Friday
Well I'm not sure WHICH Garmin site you all are refering to when you state that the 2720 and 2730 are specified as waterproof...neither spec list shows ANY FORM of waterproof level indicated. Only the marine units seem to have a moisture resistance level indicated...???

Jim

Jim -

Click on this link, then click on outdoor,marine, or mobile to bring up a comparator. Under the mobile comparator, you can select the 2720/30 units, and they do in fact show an IPX7 waterproof rating. That's a Garmin website, so the info is coming straight from the manufacturer. thumbsup.gif

ClearwaterBMW

thanks for showing him that "factory" link.

i have ridden in torrential downpours for hours with

the bmw nav i/garmin sp iii

the bmw nav ii/garmin 2610

the garmin 176C

the garmin 376C

never a problem

never would be

one thing to remember.... when you have a unit with batteries.... which is nice

make sure you PROPERLY seat that battery door when replacing them so that you don't increase your risk of water getting inside

greg

thanks for showing him that "factory" link.

i have ridden in torrential downpours for hours with

the bmw nav i/garmin sp iii

the bmw nav ii/garmin 2610

the garmin 176C

the garmin 376C

never a problem

never would be

one thing to remember.... when you have a unit with batteries.... which is nice

make sure you PROPERLY seat that battery door when replacing them so that you don't increase your risk of water getting inside

greg

I have been considering the GPSMAP 376C as it has XM radio.

Looks like I might be able to have two items in one box for less mounting problems. I can't seem to figure out a good place for an autocom on my k1200rs, let alone a gps and a radio!

ClearwaterBMW

i like mine very much

great unit

amazing screen

the weather is incredibly cool

the xm output is very satisfactory (xm sound quality isn't good, as we all know)

it's pricey (but you do get a lot)

and the monthly fees a bit too much

$29.95/month for the leaset expensive weather subscription

$6.95/month for the XM.... IF you get the weather as well

greg

yeah, the xm sounds pricey. I do like the unit as it has gps data out on a serial connection. ( I am a ham radio guy and I use a program that outputs gps data info so other hams can track me..also I can see the other hams on the gps screen too..)

I know, but hams are weird. Ha!

Mitch is right about the ram effect of raindrops at speed. I know the 2610 and 276C are "waterproof" for 1/2 hour at one meter immersion ... but that could well be overcome by drops at speed. All this means to me in a practical way is to mount the unit behind the windshield so it doesn't take high speed raindrop impacts. My 2610 has seen a lot of rain and doesn't mind a bit. I had worried about "shorting" of the power cable when wet, because the contacts are outside the perimeter of the case and its seals, but that so far hasn't been a problem either. YMMV

FWIW, I've had several jewelers tell me that the seals on even very good dive watches can be defeated by e.g. wearing in showers, using pressure washers, riding motorcycles in rain, etc. So I'm careful about that also.

My Garmin 2610 has been through some horrendous rainstorms and has never had a "water leakage" problem. I do put tape over the USB port in the back and mount it on the mid-area of my handlebar where it is protected from windblast.

Archived