IGNORED

Gerbing Heated Gear

jbr7t

It'll happen again, eventually.

;)

We've been known to carry: silk liners, everyday (Held Steve's), rain (Held/TourMaster) cold (Oly/First Gear/TourMaster), and

the Gerbings.

Of course it goes w/out saying, the Aerostitich Triple digits

mine regular, hers insulated).

So 10 pair of gloves/liners/covers, move over Imelda.

:grin:

But, we never have wet/cold/unhappy hands or fingers.

:rofl:

John, not to start any trouble here, but I specifically remember EffBee (who works for Gerbing's) responded to that thread, and posted trying to contact you several times to try to get to the bottom of your issues or least try to resolve the situation somehow.

The post I linked to is 100% correct, and it stands on its own. I'll leave it at that.

We have all regular wire Gerbings, liners, pants, gloves. socks, two sets of each, and another even older heaver liner. The fabric has pulled apart in all also. I used sticky back nylon tape to repair, but I do understand your frustration. Otherwise a great garment to have when its cold.

Lots of great info on this thread for sure and everything a future buyer of heated clothing could ever want to read EXCEPT:

Has anyone tried the FirstGear Synergy? They offer the jacket liner with temp controller for under $200. A friend of mine bought one for his airhead and loves it. I have only spoken to him once about it though. I know the controller attachment is a bit strange as it either hangs from the garmet, or attaches to your leg via a strap.

I wish I could get a set of heated gear that would hook up to our UH-1HII electrical system. It is frigid over here with the doors open at 100 knots. Have to keep them open on the gun ships! Brrrrrrr!!!!!

Steve,

Flight time (if you can say)?

I've found 2-3 hrs up to 21 hr claims for battery powered

vests.

Talk to you know who, F B.

For real feedback on battery life.

He'll say, "Stay thir I mean warmsty my friend."

:wave:

Steve-

Unless I'm mistaken here you're mixing brands. Tourmaster makes the Synergy Series garments, not Firstgear. Firstgear is really W&S. Tourmaster Synergy are covered above at length in my test - in summary, though the integrated controller is a novel ergonomic idea, the Synergy garments - all of them tested - performed dead bottom of the pack in terms of overall heat generated and duration of time it took to reach those temps. Last place finishes, all around. They simply do not have the goods to compete with the other brands tested.

-MKL

Wait a minute--you live in SONOMA, CA and you're running heated gear? Do you really have to turn it on?

True, I LIVE in Sonoma. But I have RIDDEN my Gerbing's as far north as Fairbanks and, for that matter, as far UP and WHEN as--oh, say--the Bitterroots in October or Estes Park in April, which were colder. Rarely switched to "OFF."

Now that I think about it, many a June ride through San Francisco has demanded I wear the liner, yet again it's either on or off.

I'm on my 5th Gerbing's (one got old and smelled of spilled beer after 15 years, one I got too fat for, one ripped, and one went to my wife, almost in that order). The newest microwire one is the bomb. But I can still manage it just fine with a switch.

Steve-

As an aside, my wife's former 1971 R60/5 was also called "Louise."

ttr60.jpg

She put an Omega 450W charging system on there and rode with full heated gear all day in sub freezing temps. Don't try that on the stock charging system!

-MKL

Hijack: Beautiful lady on a beautiful bike! Advrider has a never ending thread of "Girl on a old motorcycle". This picture would belong there but she would be in baaad company.

Steve-

As an aside, my wife's former 1971 R60/5 was also called "Louise."

ttr60.jpg

She put an Omega 450W charging system on there and rode with full heated gear all day in sub freezing temps. Don't try that on the stock charging system!

-MKL

She's a beauty for sure Moshe!

Yes, she is. Traded her in for a 1996 R850R

i-mj55Md4-L.jpg

That 850 was flawless, like new (around 6k miles) and perfect. he rode it exactly once, one Sunday morning to Frenchtown for breakfast. Then, baby #2 came. So we sold the R850R and she's given up riding until the kids are older. She was my riding partner - hung in there on the 900+ mile days, in the rain, in the snow, across the country, and never missed a beat. We were really in synch when we rode. I miss riding together, though in all honesty since the last baby I'm lucky to commute to work once in awhile, nevermind ride somewhere nice for a couple of days. Life phases and all...

-MKL

"She's a beauty for sure Moshe!"

Steve, I hope you meant the lady. If not, you have your priorities all mixed up... :)

We will just have to leave that part "unspoken". :grin:

And Ken, I agree totally. :rofl:

Bringing it back on topic (wasn't my intention to veer, sorry about that) I just got an e-mail from MCN. New subscribers get a free consilated winter gear special report, which essentially consists of my winter gear comparo from last winter and their new test of various heated grips. Good stuff!

-MKL

• 2 weeks later...

Good Timing! I picked up my Gerbing G3 gloves today..and it just happens to be the coldest day of the winter so far! Now to save up for the jacket liner.

Good Timing! I picked up my Gerbing G3 gloves today..and it just happens to be the coldest day of the winter so far! Now to save up for the jacket liner.

I purchased a liner first and now I'm looking at either the G3's or T5's. The jacket liner is awesome.

17* this morning, still haven't put the Gerbings on this season yet,....holding out for a really cold day ;)

I don't understand that line of thinking. I bought the thing, I going to use it. Heck, when it hits 55 degrees I put it on. Why be uncomfortable? You must be part polar bear.

Ken,

you have a point.

Even though I might not feel cold, my body is expending energy to warm itself.

Using Gerbings adds heat to the core, warming bloodflow to extremities, and conserving energy.

That may make a difference depending on duration of the ride.

But I like the warmth even for the hour or so when I ride to work.

17* this morning, still haven't put the Gerbings on this season yet,....holding out for a really cold day ;)

I don't understand that line of thinking. I bought the thing, I going to use it. Heck, when it hits 55 degrees I put it on. Why be uncomfortable? You must be part polar bear.

I haven't been uncomfortable yet.

When I was active duty, we would have to acclimatize to the environment with the minimal gear that we had. It is amazing how much the human body can adjust to, much more so than the mind says it can.

I went to jump school in the winter of 94' in Ft Benning, Ga. By southern standards, it was cold, yet we had some people from a unit in Alaska that was running around in shorts and t-shirts during their off time. It's all about acclimatization.

No matter the environment, I get out in it. If it's the heat, I get out in the heat and run, if it's the cold, I wear the minimum I possibly can to allow my body to adjust itself. I rarely wear large coats and am perfectly content with light jackets down to the teens for an extended amount of time, and I'm still comfortable. I have even been known to shovel snow with nothing more than short and a sweatshirt ;)

My first season with Gerbings, heated jacket and gloves and I've already become a wimp. Now when it's 50 degrees, I put the jacket on an turn it on! I almost fell asleep going to work the other day I was so cozy...it was 25 degrees and I was toasty warm!

Wayne C.

05 RT

Archived