IGNORED

Gerbing Heated Gear

jbr7t

As Christmas is approaching my wish list includes...WARMTH. Leaving home at 4:30am with sub freezing temps I'm a bit chilly :dopeslap: after my hour commute to work. Anybody have anything positive/negative about Gerbing gear in general and also liner vs. outerwear. Specifically the newer microwire stuff.

Thanks.

The microwire stuff heats up faster but I personally don't find it enough of a difference to buy solely for that reason. I agree with Paul but recently decided socks were also a necessity. But I ride a nekkid bike year 'round, so that might not apply to a fared one. I also found that a dual controller was important so that I could adjust the jacket and gloves separately.

I have been using the gloves for some time. They work quite well, because the heated grips don't. The heated grips only heat on the palms, and only if you hold the grip. On cruise it doesn't work at all.

I got the jacket liner and dual controller so I'll try it. I don't think I ever heard anything bad about the Gerbings.

dc

Is the temp controller necessary? The On/Off toggle is WAY cheaper. Can't you just cut it off if you get hot and back on if you need to warm up?

Is the temp controller necessary? The On/Off toggle is WAY cheaper. Can't you just cut it off if you get hot and back on if you need to warm up?

Absolutely necessary. Having just an on/off toggle would be like cars 75 years ago where the heat was either on or off.

Afternoon James

Modern heated gear heats up very quickly and cools a bit slower. It also become very hot at full power.

A temperature controller is very desired (almost necessary) on a heated vest or heated jacket liner.

On heated gloves you might get by without a controller as you can always remove your hands from the handle bars & hold them out in the cold wind if they become too hot.

On a jacket liner or vest you would be turning the on/off on & off many many times per 5 minute period.

Nice n Easy Rider

I tried my heated jacket liner with only the on/off toggle switch initially. That idea lasted for less than one full ride before I decided to go for a controller

James, I work for Gerbing's. I'll let others comment about our gear, but I'd like to help you out with some information about the on/off switch.

When using an on/off switch, imagine your car radio either full blast, or full off. It pounds until you can't take it, and then it's silent until the boredom overcomes you. Back and forth you go. At the end of your drive, according to the "law of averages," you enjoyed the music. But you and I both know that you really didn't.

We sell the on/off switch because we understand that when spending what a Jacket Liner costs, or the price of heated gloves (or more on BOTH), customers are occasionally unable or hesitant to spend on a dual controller. The on/off switch allows them to experience the warmth our products provide. But history tells us that for most it falls short of the desired effect and modulation you're likely going to want. In fact, I'd bet a substantial majority of those who purchase an on/off switch go back and buy the Temp Controller within the first 30 days. In the end, you'll save money by only purchasing one item instead of two.

If you need to purchase the on/off switch simply because it's a financial necessity at this time of year (understandable with all the holiday expenses), then do plan on getting the controller. And probably sooner than later.

Happy holidays to you, and enjoy the warmth.

I have the liner, the gloves, and the pants. The liner is the key. I have the newer high end gloves and they really help with the shortcomings of the heated grips in winter. The pants..well they are great also but I don't usually use them above 30. Just my regular over pants.

I don't have any other brands to compare it to, but I can't imagine what you could do to make Gergings better. High quality, works well, good warranty...IMHO No affiliation. I am sure there are other brands that work well too.

Be sure you get the dual controller even if you only buy 1 item.

P.S. If they only made a heated face mask...hint hint effbee???

I finally used my heated gear for the first time today, heading out in the AM in 25 degrees. Woooo, COLD! Thanks God for this stuff.

-MKL

Thanks to Fernando, when I was researching heated gear, I learned that it is possible in many cases to add the Gerbings heating system to an existing motorcycle suit.

In my case, I sent my Cycleport/Motoport Ultra II Kevlar suit's 2 piece insulated liner to Gerbings and they did their magic.

Result: A very happy customer. My heat pads are installed to the insulation layer of the liner. I can wear the jacket with no liner, liner, or liner with insulation and heat.

Thank you Gerbings and Fernando (EffBee)!!!

James, I work for Gerbing's. I'll let others comment about our gear, but I'd like to help you out with some information about the on/off switch.

When using an on/off switch, imagine your car radio either full blast, or full off. It pounds until you can't take it, and then it's silent until the boredom overcomes you. Back and forth you go. At the end of your drive, according to the "law of averages," you enjoyed the music. But you and I both know that you really didn't.

We sell the on/off switch because we understand that when spending what a Jacket Liner costs, or the price of heated gloves (or more on BOTH), customers are occasionally unable or hesitant to spend on a dual controller. The on/off switch allows them to experience the warmth our products provide. But history tells us that for most it falls short of the desired effect and modulation you're likely going to want. In fact, I'd bet a substantial majority of those who purchase an on/off switch go back and buy the Temp Controller within the first 30 days. In the end, you'll save money by only purchasing one item instead of two.

If you need to purchase the on/off switch simply because it's a financial necessity at this time of year (understandable with all the holiday expenses), then do plan on getting the controller. And probably sooner than later.

Happy holidays to you, and enjoy the warmth.

Thanks for the info. I was basing my thoughts of the toggle switch off the "test glove" at the dealership. I guess in "real" operation the unit gets hotter?

I don't suppose Gerbing needs a "Product Tester"?? Let me know and I'll PM you my shipping address and sizes! :thumbsup:

So, we've determined the controller is pretty darn necessary. How about Liner vs. Outerwear? I like the idea of the "ease" of the outerwear. But then again...that's ANOTHER jacket and pants hanging in the closet, and a significant difference in price. Thoughts?

Thanks for the info. I was basing my thoughts of the toggle switch off the "test glove" at the dealership. I guess in "real" operation the unit gets hotter?

I don't suppose Gerbing needs a "Product Tester"?? Let me know and I'll PM you my shipping address and sizes! :thumbsup:

So, we've determined the controller is pretty darn necessary. How about Liner vs. Outerwear? I like the idea of the "ease" of the outerwear. But then again...that's ANOTHER jacket and pants hanging in the closet, and a significant difference in price. Thoughts?

There's a reason why the push-button tester at the dealership has a 5-minute timer attached to a relay. The gloves will, if left on, produce in excess of 130 degrees. What actually gets to your hands is less than that, but in a static environment it can be downright hot. Out in sub-freezing temps (depending on the humidity), and whizzing along at 70mph, the wind chill is so low that it mitigates a fair amount of that heat, leaving only enough to make you warm. But for normal use, yes, you'll want the controller.

As for field testers, we have quite a few riders scattered about the country. Most have some sort of testing or analytical background (aviation seems prevalent), and are expert at evaluating and providing suggested solutions.

The heated outerwear is most popular with those who spend a long time in their gear. Those who commute throughout winter, for example. Or those who will be taking long winter trips. For most everyone else, a Jacket Liner provides the versatility of being easy to add under a jacket, easy to pack when not in use. That versatility extends into the late spring, when a morning may require a bit of added warmth, yet the afternoon might call for a mesh jacket. One liner. Many uses.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks Effbee. Very helpful info for my decision making.

As for Expert testers. An argument could be made that a non "expert" would be able to provide more realistic data based on the common riders thoughts and experiences. Add to that, someone from a state like...oh let's say..Virginia.. that experiences stark weather contrasts of all four seasons. But hey, I'm no expert :grin:

I rode using a Widder heated vest for years. Bought a Gerbing Heated Jacket a year ago. Works great and is well made.

I would recommend a controller. I used an on/off switch on my Widder Vest, it was a pain, your either too hot or too cool. The controller gives you a consistent temperature.

You may want to check out Warm and Safe. I got a great deal on W&S gen 3 liner this fall. Mension the forum for additional discount. As for quality, both Gerbings and W&S are good. I've now got Gerbings T5 gloves and I must say they rock! As for the controller, I have the W&S dual remote. The setup works.

James......I have a Gerbings heated liner that I have used for the past couple of years. Including the two years Danielle was finishing school and my RT was my main source of transportation. Rain or shine, 7-107 degrees outside. Yes, I left the house one morning when it was 7, and I was toasty warm for the whole 57 miles. The only way I can explain the difference of using one is being able to deal with the cold Vs. not even thinking about it. It is such a dramatic difference, I didn't believe it until I tried one the first time. It also allowed me to replace a very bulky fleece layer with a the thin liner, which really helped in being comfortable. It took away the puffed up Michelin man feeling when riding in the cold.

I love my Gerbings, and I also feel that the adjustable controler is worth the added expense. I used to crank it on full blast for about about 2-3 minutes, but then had to back it down to about 50% to stay comfortable.

I don't currently have a pair of heated gloves, but since getting the GS I think there is definitely a pair in my future. I'm sure as you are finding out with your 1150R, they just don't have the cold weather protection that our RT's had.

Gerbings liner

:thumbsup:

Gloves

:thumbsup:

I use Aerostitch Triple Digit raincovers over Gerbings when it goes below freezing or it is wet.

I also add silk glove liners in very cold.

Add a neck gaiter to keep that area warm in the cold as it will

be an important addition to keeping core/brain warm.

Long trips below freezing a bandana around the gerbings liner neck keeps me extra toasty.

Anything keep core, arms/hands, head (balaclava) warm will help.

Like Keith said, once you get heated you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I have a Gerbings jacket liner, haven't had to use it yet this year as temps haven't gone below 25 yet when I leave for work. I have a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket that I wear and just a dress sweater underneath. I can feel the jacket getting cold and I'd imagine that if my commute was more than the 45-60 minutes that it is, it would be uncomfortable, but so far, the jacket does the trick.

Last year, the temps were down to 14 and the Gerbings did the trick, felt nice and toasty all the way in to work.

I've had the Gerbings jacket liner and controller for three years and it's been one of the most useful gear products I've ever bought. Even here in south Texas it's COLD in the winter early mornings before it generally warms up into the 50s. That's my threshold for heated gear -- below 50 degrees is Gerbings time. The good thing about the controller is you can "throttle back" the heat as outside temps warm up on a ride. OTOH, I've owned (and subsequently sold) two pairs of Gerbing's gloves. They heated my hands just fine, but I just couldn't get comfortable with the bulkiness of both pairs. The most recent pair were the G3 gloves, which were supposed to be a little less bulky that the originals. I wish Gerbing made a "lightweight" heated glove that would allow me more dexterity and tactile feel with the clutch, brake, and throttle controls. I'm thinking about getting the Gerbings glove liners and wearing them under a pair of plain leather gloves, but I'm not sure the liners would less bulky than the G3s. Anyone out there recommending the glove liners? Damn, this turned out to be a long reply. Sorry.

Have had Gerbings for a number of years now and have mostly stopped using the pants liners. Long underwear is usually good enough and the heat from the pant liners just accelerates the rashing I often get from long days on a bike. Plus, have heated seat anyway. My jacket liner works fine with the OE connector on my R1200RT, i.e. no canbus issues.

I had a set of liners. I'd say they are not the answer to your problem of bulkiness. The gloves end up being bigger/bulkier so they fit over the liners.

Tom-

I formally tested a variety of heated gloves for MCN and no glove was as svelte or allowed as much sensitivity as the Gerbing's G3. If you want bulky try some heated gloves from 10 years ago, when my prior Gerbing's were made. These are like lightweight summer gloves by comparison. All of the other gloves I tested were bulkier with no real advantage in warmth or insulation, which counted against them in final evaluation.

The EXOs were bulkier but with hard bits which would almost certainly offer more crash protection than the Gerbing's, though at a far higher price. If money's no object I'd tie them with the G3s for best heated gloves on the market. If money is an object you simply will not do better than the G3s, at least not from the group I tested (EXO, Gerbing's W&S / Firstgear, and Tourmaster).

-MKL

I know I'm the lone wolf on this one, but I still prefer the on/off to the controller.

My setup is a bit different: I wired one of the powerports with a relay and a handgrip mounted switch. So I simply thumb the liner on or off as necessary.

I tried the controller and found I was fiddling with it just as often if not more than simply turning the liner off when it got too hot. Gives me something to do on the long rides at least.

The Gerbings gear is the best, bar none, but I just follow the road least traveled when it comes to their dogged recommendation to use the controller.

However, I am a minority of one, so take or leave my experience accordingly.

I know I'm the lone wolf on this one, but I still prefer the on/off to the controller.

My setup is a bit different: I wired one of the powerports with a relay and a handgrip mounted switch. So I simply thumb the liner on or off as necessary.

I tried the controller and found I was fiddling with it just as often if not more than simply turning the liner off when it got too hot. Gives me something to do on the long rides at least.

The Gerbings gear is the best, bar none, but I just follow the road least traveled when it comes to their dogged recommendation to use the controller.

However, I am a minority of one, so take or leave my experience accordingly.

Wait a minute--you live in SONOMA, CA and you're running heated gear? Do you really have to turn it on?

This was me riding to the Flight 93 Memorial a few years ago. I needed heated gear.

photo.jpg

Hi, y'all. I've had a co-ax(?) pigtail for my Gerbings liner and gloves and an SAE(?) pigtail for my Battery Tender hooked up directly to my battery since I got it last year. Last weekend my wife decided she would ride with me in the cold (it started about 35F in the morning ... cold for us, if not for some of y'all) :-) for the first time, so I hooked up another co-ax pigtail directly to the battery for her to use a 1st-gen Gerbings liner I have.

Two questions: 1) Am I correct to think that the alternator on my 2010 R12RT can easily handle two sets of heated liners and gloves? 2) Is there any problem with have three pigtails hooked up directly to the battery?

TIA. And happy Christmas and happy New Year's to y'all.

---John.

For several years (before moving to the desert) I ran a BMW heated vest with just an on/off switch. Now I have a Gerbings jacket with a bike mounted controller. IMO yes, the jacket and controller are better but the BMW vest with on/off switch answered 95% of the issue. It worked very well and turning the switch on and off was a non-problem for me.

A problem I would see with a on/off switch and a modern jacket liner like a microwire Gerbing, is that they get very hot very quickly. My micro Gerbing is never past half power, even at 25 degrees.

A problem I would see with a on/off switch and a modern jacket liner like a microwire Gerbing, is that they get very hot very quickly. My micro Gerbing is never past half power, even at 25 degrees.

Paul, though I am an advocate of the newer designs for reasons of comfort and more advanced heating elements, I didn't find in my lab testing any evidence that the newer designs get hot any faster than the old designs did.

I did use my own personal 1999-era Gerbing's liner as a baseline, and, like all the other liners, after about 400 seconds, heat stabilized - that's old, and new.

The only two exceptions in my testing were the two extremes of Tourmaster (which took longest to warm up to the lowest overall temps) and EXO (which took the least amount of time by a healthy margin to warm to the higher end of temps, all while taking half the draw of any other brand). From a purely technological point of view, the EXO heating elements are far and away the most impressive for this reason - they get hotter, faster, with half the draw, of anything else. Can't argue with those results.

Nonetheless an "on/off" switch is like the faucet analogy used earlier and deprives the user of the fine tuning required to make oneself truly comfortable under any reasonable riding condition.

-MKL

PS - Lab test reports can be accessed here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgearraw.pdf

starting on page 10.

Well, different experiences. I have a latest microwire Gerbing liner and a Warm & Safe generation 2 liner - now they are at generation 4. With the Gerbing reaction is almost immediate and reacts well to fine adjustments. With the W&S I usually don't do fine adjustments because it takes much longer ro respond. As a simple example, when I start from home I feel the heat from the Gerbing after 2 blocks, from the W&S after 2 miles. Just in case, same clothing under and over the heated gear.

I am a 15 year satisfied Gerbing's customer on his second Jacket liner. I have the design just prior to the microwire model. The newest design has much less heated coverage, especially around the trunk. The older design heated down to within an inch or so of the bottom of the liner and the wires were covered with light, thin insulation which keeps the heat in and makes the jacket useful off the bike in the evening at rallies. The new design has about 6" unheated and uninsulated area along the bottom of the liner. The heating pad on the back is surprisingly small. Some people who had earlier models have been very disappointed in the new one, especially in an unfaired bike. A very good company has taken a step backward.

Paul, in this case our comparos aren't identical so you could very well be on to something. In my case I was comparing an old Gerbing's against everything new. In your case, an old W&S. I will say as I said in my test that the new Gerbing's liner is a great product, but I personally found the PDU connection point so annoying, that it overshadowed the positive aspects of the garment. Again, this is relative to what else I had to test against.

-MKL

4+ hours on the bike today with temps in the mid 30's.......ahhhh I love my Gerbings. After the first 10 minutes, I never had it above 50% and I was warm and toasty all afternoon.

4+ hours on the bike today with temps in the mid 30's.......ahhhh I love my Gerbings. After the first 10 minutes, I never had it above 50% and I was warm and toasty all afternoon.

You're better than me--I got over the mountains into Perry County, hit flurries, and turned back after about 60 miles. But I also was toasty.

Gerbings gear is Numero Uno! I've been delightfully toasted by it for nearly ten years. The new microwire gloves I just bought to replace my old-style ones are more supple and comfortable.

The other big positive is that Gerbings stands behind their products. I had a problem with a connector once and it was repaired immediately, no questions asked, and with a smile.

They can expect my custom for as long as I ride in the cold.

Two questions: 1) Am I correct to think that the alternator on my 2010 R12RT can easily handle two sets of heated liners and gloves? 2) Is there any problem with have three pigtails hooked up directly to the battery?

1) Yes, you're correct, with lots of margin to spare

2) No, there isn't.

Thanks, MKL.

Another question: I'm happy with my old liner, but I am thinking of getting a pair of G3 gloves because they are apparently much more comfortable than the old-style gloves. Would it be OK to mix the new microwire gear with older gear, including using an old dual-temp controller?

TIA.

---John.

No problem. I use my Gerbing G3 gloves interchangeably with my micro wire Gerbing or old style W&S liner - and I do it with a single controller.

I recently bought G3s to replace some FirstGear and my only complaint is that the cuff should be about a half inch longer. It really takes some effort to stuff the sleeve of my Roadcrafter under the them. The first one is OK since I'm using bare fingers, but the second one is a challenge.

The G3 cuff is quite short compared to some other gloves, but on my arms at least never enough of an issue to complain about. God knows, the G3s kept me warm today in 25 degrees! I've mixed and matched with old equipment - never an issue. I'm not sure why people are under the impression that somehow one cannot mix and match brands or gear.....

-MKL

John, not to start any trouble here, but I specifically remember EffBee (who works for Gerbing's) responded to that thread, and posted trying to contact you several times to try to get to the bottom of your issues or least try to resolve the situation somehow. I also remember him saying there was no response. This may be old news, and I wasn't part of that exchange between you two guys, but he was certainly responsive on this forum as I recall.

Like everyone else in here I am a long-time Gerbing's fan and user. On my last test for MCN I took a few points off for their liner's annoying (to me) PDU connection scheme but the quality of the garment, its fit, and its function were second to none, and I said as such. In fact as I said before it fit me better than any other liner. Likewise, I've spoken to many a rider who, after dealing with the company for this issue or that (usually alterations many years later, like when I added a separate glove feed wire 5-6 years after I originally bought my liner) came away most satisfied. My own original Gerbing's liner lasted me over 10 years before I sold it in perfect working order. Same with the original gloves which I sold for G3 replacements.

That takes nothing away from other companies like W&S which are also responsive and make great products too, but I must say you're in a very small minority if you take issue with Gerbing's customer service. Now, if only they put as much effort into designing a proper controller as they do in their excellent gloves, and maybe give us back the old-style hard-wired connections on the new Microwire liners, they would REALLY have things locked up..... ;)

-MKL

Yup- the latest stuff heats up fast and some of todays stuff packs a lot of power, not the measly less than 50W of the older BMW gear (about the only stuff you stand a chance of running out of one of the 5A accessory outlets on the older models. BMW finally got some brains in place and made their outlets 10A which covers most heated gear combos for a single rider but that direct to battery socket fused 15A is still a better idea).

Moshe- that glove comment is depressing. I've got the G3s and they work fine but are still too clunky for my tastes and the gauntlet is a bit too tight like almost everythig else made these days. I wish someone made a glove with a single layer palm and heat on an insulated back- with the heated grips and Barkbusters on the bike that should be enough. I dislike the G3s enough to only use them at temps below 35F.

John, not to start any trouble here, but I specifically remember EffBee (who works for Gerbing's) responded to that thread, and posted trying to contact you several times to try to get to the bottom of your issues or least try to resolve the situation somehow.

The post I linked to is 100% correct, and it stands on its own. I'll leave it at that.

Has anyone checked out or bought the T5 gloves? just wondering how they compare to the G3's?

I've had my T5's for the past few months. I like them. I seldom use my RT's heated grips anymore.

So far, the coldest commute has been mid 20's and I haven't exceeded 1/2 power. I haven't been in wet weather yet with them.

Unfortunately, I am rather new to heated gear so I cannot give you comparison to G3's. I have read other places that the T5 is bulkier than the G3, but I expected greater bulk for a winter glove. SO to me they are good comfy glove. Well built. The gauntlet nicely pulls over my roadcrafter cuffs and seals air.

I've heard a lot that sizing is off where folks need to go down a size. I have a long thumb, so I am use to a slightly big glove and my normal size fit fine.

T5s are bulkier than G3s, indeed. They're pretty much equivalent in size and weight to my former 1998-1999 era Gerbing's gloves (they had one glove model back then, not many like today). The G3 by comparison is much lighter, thinner, and allows for more feel. I too don't use heated gloves until temps get into mid-30s or less. Above that my BMW Pro Winter 2 gloves fit the bill nicely.

-MKL

Moshe,

Just following you.

The nice thing about heated gloves is, you can turn them off if need be and just ride. Turn back on if it cools down.

I have excellent cold/wet wether gloves.

Olympias with goretex, First Gear w/an aqua barrier, both insulated and both work down into the 20's OK, for a while.

But, all day, returning from El Paseo, Blue Ride Rendez, and it is cold/damp, nothing beats warm fingers and hands, IMO.

I'd rather carry extra gloves I don't need, and not need them, than to be missing the one pair I do need.

YMMV

Tim, no doubt you are right about that. These days my rides are much shorter duration so if I know I'm going to be mid 30s or above I don't bother with heated gear. If below I take it. It's all in the topcase anyway, what I actually mean is I wear what makes sense when I leave. For an all-day affair surely you're right. Two new babies at home - can't remember the last all-day ride I've had!

-MKL

Archived