IGNORED

banged up shift arm; now won't shift

Kermit_Karl

I slid in the snowy driveway, luckily at slow speed, and dropped the bike. It landed on the aftermarket Suburban Machinery dropped shift arm and bent it up pretty good. I tried bending it back but no luck, it still scraped on the side plate, so I ordered a new one. After replacing it, though, I don't seem to be able to shift beyond 1-N-2, and even that is pretty rough. (I haven't tried it on the road; this is just up on the center stand.) I tried putting the factory shift arm back on to see if it made any difference but no, still just 1-N-2.

So -- is something inside the tranny busted too?

ShovelStrokeEd

It shouldn't be as you don't put any end loading on the shifter drum with the linkage but, stranger things have happened in a drop.

Pull the side plate and linkage and inspect the area around the shift drum. There is an arm coming off there that may have been turned on its spline as a result of the force of the drop. If this is the case, it could be bottoming before completing rotation and over rotating in the other direction. The arm should slide off once you remove the bolt. You can then inspect the splines for damage.

While I didn't take the linkage arm off the shaft to inspect the splines I don't see any physical damage to the arm or shaft. The scribed mark on the end of the shaft lines up with the mark on the arm throughout the movement, so there's no problem with the splines. I don't feel any scraping or hesitation in the shaft rotating; it just won't go up beyond 2nd.

Maybe this has to do with testing this on the center stand? Would it make a difference to ride it? (It's just a bit slick outside right now :-(

I slid in the snowy driveway, luckily at slow speed, and dropped the bike. It landed on the aftermarket Suburban Machinery dropped shift arm and bent it up pretty good. I tried bending it back but no luck, it still scraped on the side plate, so I ordered a new one. After replacing it, though, I don't seem to be able to shift beyond 1-N-2, and even that is pretty rough. (I haven't tried it on the road; this is just up on the center stand.) I tried putting the factory shift arm back on to see if it made any difference but no, still just 1-N-2.

So -- is something inside the tranny busted too?

Have you tried spinning/rocking the rear wheel while moving the shift lever. You usually can't get past a gear or two without moving the rear wheel/drive shaft/transmission while the bike is stationary.

Mike

Archived