IGNORED

BMW answering surge complaints with Wunderlich?

phoenixtexas

Just a heads-up. Wunderlich is now offering a Techlusion clone called a power controller (part #8530100-105) that sounds exactly like how a Techlusion functions and promises a permanent surge fix. If you're interested, Google "Wunderlich Power Controller" and go to the Wunderlich website.

FYI, my 1996 R1100R has been fitted with a Techlusion, a modified stock exhaust (not loud but about double exhaust flow), interior/exterior ceramic-coated exhaust header for good initial exhaust flow and cooler head, oversized aftermarket air snorkel and K&N filter, and runs like a completely different bike. It's worth checking out if you want more performance without spending a fortune. My investment is about $180 for the Techlusion, $100 for ceramics, $35 for the K&N, and $30 for the snorkel.

Pardon my skepticism, but please reassure me that you don't have any affiliation with Wunderlich.

Interesting. It appears that the device intercepts the signal from the O2 sensor, and tricks the engine management processor into "thinking" the mixture is a little more lean than it really is. The processor then responds by increasing the fuel dose more than if the device wasn't connected in an effort to correct the fake "lean" signal. Since surging is commonly caused by a too-lean mixture, the increased richness eliminates it.

That's my guess, anyway.

The thing that really bothers me about this, is that a 3-way catalytic converter absolutely must have a stoichiometrically correct fuel mixture (perfect fuel-air mixture) in order to function. Slightly too lean, and the reduction of NOx will not work. Too rich, and the CO and HC values start to rise (although not as fast as NOx rises with a lean mixture). That's is why an O2 sensor is an absolute "must" with a 3-way cat. The mixture must be kept between a "Lamda" value of 0.995 to 1.005 (where Lamda=1, is the perfect fuel-air ratio, and this is an extremely tight operating window. Otherwise the cat will not work.

So richening the mixture by any means, and for any reason, will cause the cat to malfunction and emissions will dramatically rise.

Bob.

To Ken: No connection to Wunderlich or any BMW source. Just passing along info after several years of reading endless posts about surging. I just thought it was curious that Wunderlich would directly refer to surging, since they're approved BMW aftermarket. The setup I described has made a dramatic difference in my R1100R. And like everything Wunderlich sells, their Power Controller is grossly overpriced.

The thing that really bothers me about this, is that a 3-way catalytic converter absolutely must have a stoichiometrically correct fuel mixture <snip> ...will cause the cat to malfunction and emissions will dramatically rise.Otherwise the cat will not work.
Exactly. If only everyone was so conscientious. thumbsup.gif

The thing that really bothers me about this, is that a 3-way catalytic converter absolutely must have a stoichiometrically correct fuel mixture (perfect fuel-air mixture) in order to function. ----------------------------

The POWER COMMANDER, when tuned on the dyno, will meet the air/fuel requirements to a much higher degre than the Techlusion. BUT - no one on our list has left a thread on the Power commander.

No connection to Wunderlich or any BMW source

Glad to hear it. I get suspicious when someone praises hardware highly and is a relative newcomer to the board.

Alien_Hitchhiker
...my 1996 R1100R has been fitted with a Techlusion, a modified stock exhaust (not loud but about double exhaust flow), interior/exterior ceramic-coated exhaust header for good initial exhaust flow and cooler head, oversized aftermarket air snorkel and K&N filter, and runs like a completely different bike. It's worth checking out if you want more performance without spending a fortune. My investment is about $180 for the Techlusion, $100 for ceramics, $35 for the K&N, and $30 for the snorkel.

Tell me more!

I'm currently running a Techlusion R259 on my 1100RT, and like it, but keep suspecting the engine is capable of even more - not necessarily more power, but sweeter, smoother, more responsive performance.

How is your exhaust modified (and does it have a cat)?

And where'd you find the snorkel for $30?

You've got my little wheels turning.

Thanks, Steve

The thing that really bothers me about this, is that a 3-way catalytic converter absolutely must have a stoichiometrically correct fuel mixture (perfect fuel-air mixture) in order to function. ----------------------------

The POWER COMMANDER, when tuned on the dyno, will meet the air/fuel requirements to a much higher degre than the Techlusion. BUT - no one on our list has left a thread on the Power commander.

The entire point in my original post that you quoted, is that the fuel-air mixtutr on a stock BMW is ALREADY exactly right. It MUST be, or else the 3-way cat would not function properly and emissions would skyrocket as a result.

Any add-on that fiddles with the mixture to eliminate surging, MUST be moving the air fuel mixture away form the optimal Lamda=1 value that is needed to make the cat work.

Unless BMW is selling bikes that run an incorrect mixture, and therefore by default have improper cat operation (not likely!), a proper answer to surging must involve other changes to the motor than just mucking around with the mixture.

Bob.

Archived