IGNORED

mounting a 2610 (2730) on a r1200rt?

scottcon

I am ready to buy a gps (garmin 2730) when it hits the market. However, I am really confused about all of the available mounting systems that are out there. I have searched the internet for hours (even this site) trying to figure out the best way to mount the GPS when I buy. The problem is that most of the websites do not have a pic of the GPS mounted on an r1200rt. I know that from what I have read that there is a big difference in price and configurations when mounting a GPS. If any of you have pictures and part numbers ect. that you would be willing to post it would really help alot. BTW I saw the RCU shelf post( read on the internet that it vibrates alot) but I just want a couple of more options. Thanks in advance. Scott

Try ...and I think its motorradconcepts.com, heck I know I read that in here about GPS mounts keep looking in this forum cause I seen a pic of a really nice one out of I think Sweeden or somthing..ha, lot of help i am right now.

Scott - I tried the RCU shelf for my GPS and wasn't satisfied with it. It's nicely made and the price is certainly right, but because it is cantilivered out over the instrument panel, it tends to bounce a good bit with a heavy GPS mounted on it.

I've settled on a mount made especially for the R12RT by Motorrad Concepts. Check out their web site. Also, by clicking here you can see some photos of my Garmin 276C mounted on the R12RT with the Motorrad Concepts piece. The Garmin 26xx series use a different cradle than the 176/276/376 but the mounting arrangement is pretty much the same.

I'm very satisfied with this mount - minimal vibration and bouncing; it puts the GPS up where I can see it without taking my eyes much away from the road, yet does not interfear with my view of the road; and it looks great - like it's made for the bike, I guess because it is!

Brian

I saw that one too while I was searching for hours trying to find the best mount. It is really nice and it does look like it was made for the bike. I wanted some more options as this product along with the kit from garmin comes in at well over $250.00 eek.gif. Maybe thats what I will have to go with but hopefully someone will post the magic and more affordable fix. I can dream cant I? Scott

I saw that one too while I was searching for hours trying to find the best mount. It is really nice and it does look like it was made for the bike. I wanted some more options as this product along with the kit from garmin comes in at well over $250.00 eek.gif. Maybe thats what I will have to go with but hopefully someone will post the magic and more affordable fix. I can dream cant I? Scott

I have the Motorrad concept mount as well for the garmin 2610 from adventurerworkshop.com. I find that on not so smooth roads the mount is not so rigid... On semi smooth roads the mount is fine... for the amount of money it cost I was hoping for something more solid...

Its the best option available right now(looks wise and location) in my opinion though.....

there is a picture of it mounted in a "post pics of your gadgets" thread...

The unit itself is machined and of top quality... The way its mounted on my 12RT is whats in question

Chris Holland

I have the Motorrad concept mount as well for the garmin 2610 from adventurerworkshop.com. I find that on not so smooth roads the mount is not so rigid... On semi smooth roads the mount is fine... for the amount of money it cost I was hoping for something more solid...

Its the best option available right now(looks wise and location) in my opinion though.....

there is a picture of it mounted in a "post pics of your gadgets" thread...

The unit itself is machined and of top quality... The way its mounted on my 12RT is whats in question

Nice to see so many of you guys using our GPS mount for the 1200RT....

Your question regarding the firmness of the mount is also a common one, which we now address in our fitting instructions......

Essentially the neoprene pad underneath the mount IS NOT there as a damping medium, but merely to prevent damage to the plastic dash panel.

In our experience users tend to be reluctant to tighten the two mounting screws fully, for fear of causing damage......

The mounting screws need to be tightened so that there is NO movement between the GPS mount and the dash panel....then the additional weight/leverage of the mounted GPSR will suffer minimal vibration in most riding conditions.

It should also be bourne in mind that the front fairing subframe, to which the assembly is fastened, is not in itself a rigid structure and is prone to flexing in rougher riding conditions, together with anything attatched to it.

Hope this info helps.......

Cheers

Chris Holland

Motorrad Concepts

Edinburgh

Scotland

In our experience users tend to be reluctant to tighten the two mounting screws fully, for fear of causing damage......

It should also be bourne in mind that the front fairing subframe, to which the assembly is fastened, is not in itself a rigid structure and is prone to flexing in rougher riding conditions, together with anything attatched to it.

Hope this info helps.......

Cheers

Chris Holland

Motorrad Concepts

Edinburgh

Scotland

I agree that the issue is the Dash(One more turn of the screw and something is gonna strip) that causes the movement and not your product thats why I clarified that in my post

"The unit itself is machined and of top quality... The way its mounted on my 12RT is whats in question"

BMW sells the mount for their NavII (2610) GPS for about $125. I ordered one when I ordered my RT (due in FEB). I hoping I can mount a 2610 to the BMW mount with no modification. Has anyone used the BMW mount with a Garmin 2610?

Archived