IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Finished 18K service in time to find some coffee and curves.

Bil, Bernie and George

DSCN3369-M.jpg

And after DOS opened.

Roland and son Raphael from Switzerland and Bernie and Bil

DSCN3373-M.jpg

Only Bernie can find these kind of roads in North Florida.

Swan Lake? I wouldn't bet on it : )

Actually there's one better, Star Lake. Although RT people will need to turn around when the pavement ends. GS people get to keep going. :grin:

Swan Lake? I wouldn't bet on it : )

Actually there's one better, Star Lake. Although RT people will need to turn around when the pavement ends. GS people get to keep going. :grin:

Was Swan Lake. Think I followed you down Star Lake once on a GT ride. :) Was hard packed dirt and fun.

Great day in the saddle, 325 miles down to Colquit, Ga to grab the Georgia Tag, then east to Horse Creek Winery to get some wine, may have passed Bernie's favorite Café in Moultrie.

100' tall silo's painted nicely.

P1090742%20600x800.jpg

P1090741%20800x600.jpg

P1090737%20600x800.jpg

P1090736%20800x600.jpg

08925815-A4EF-4302-8ABA-5F87F071A261.jpg

P1090721%20600x800.jpg

P1090724%20800x600.jpg

Terry

The end of the season has come. Well, some would say over a month ago (first snow & sand on the roads).

Got the GS out on a balmy 5ºC (41ºF) afternoon to circulate the fuel stabilizer and injector cleaner. Washed it up (still cleaning bugs off from September). Also got the KLX out to circulate the fuel and (tried to) drain the carb. Will siphon the gas out of both of them tomorrow.

On my way home from the car wash the temperature had dropped to 2ºC (36ºF). Pesky snowflake warning on the dash :)

Two hours later the snow started again. Winter tires go on the car Thursday.

But I will be on a motorcycle again in a week. Stay tuned.

Mike Cassidy

Did the 12k service. New filters, crankcase & gearbox oil, new plugs. Air filter was plugged with sand (previous owner experienced a sandstorm). Seems to run better.

River Road north of Folkston, chasing Bernie after the SECFF lunch. A glorious day for a ride.

Thank you Bill, for posting the video, it looks like I didn't mess up to badly.

By the way the bike turned a 160,000 miles a little earlier in the ride.

By the way the bike turned a 160,000 miles a little earlier in the ride.

Hey I ran into Ray over at the shop the other day, he's got 240,000 on his '05, c'mon get with it man : )

Who's Ray?

LOL.

If I would only ride on Interstates, and be unemployed, ahh I mean retired, I would be able to catch him.

Hi Bill, long time no see. :wave:

If I would only ride on Interstates, and be unemployed, ahh I mean retired, I would be able to catch him.

Hi Bill, long time no see. :wave:

Heck, you might anyway.

Maybe we'll see you at the the swap meet Saturday?

I found 41 on my maps. Is this going north from Morgan? Want to add it to my collection of Georgia roads for the north-south jaunt to NC.

Thanks

I found 41 on my maps. Is this going north from Morgan? Want to add it to my collection of Georgia roads for the north-south jaunt to NC.

Thanks

If you are talking about the 41 that goes from Miami to Vincennes, Indiana, it basically runs through the center of the state of Ga to Chattanooga, TN. Almost parallels I-75. Stop by and say hi if you take it through Perry, Ga.

Terry

Thanks Terry, will do for sure. Trying to make it to one of the lunches but it's 8-9 hours from my house in the FL Keys to JAX so I have to schedule it out. Hoping for Jan or Feb. I was referring to the video posted earlier in this thread

I assume it's Georgia state route 41 as opposed to 441 which does run from here to somewhere way up there.. Perhaps that's not correct.

Edited by bwpsg42

Not sure where to begin : )

Ok there was no reference to the actual road Highway 41, it is Bill Woods screen name and thus the name of his smugmug stuff. I'll 'assume' he chose that because back in the day (pre-interstate, we're both pretty much old codgers) it was the main route between Chicago, Atlanta, Tampa/St. Pete, and later Miami, i.e. the South's mother road (our Rt. 66). Especially thru Georgia, and it's also mentioned in the Allman Bros. "Ramblin Man" because their studios were in Macon and it was the way to Atlanta, and how they probably travelled between Daytona (their home) and Macon. Personally I wouldn't take it to go anywhere these days as it runs thru the middle of a town every 30 miles or so, some of them big.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_41

The road in the video is River Road which starts just northeast of Folkston and terminates 15 or 20 miles north at US301 (another major N/S corridor before interstates).

There are literally hundreds of small back roads in eastern Georgia (many surprisingly good) and you could probably string some together using G.M., Delorme Atlas, etc. which could be hit or miss. Or you could get Bernie or myself to draw up something because we've been riding the area for 20 or so years and know where nearly all the good stuff is (mostly Bernie recently as I've switched to dirt in the past 7/8 years). But, Bernie gets up at O dark thirty and he'll ride 500 miles to get to a 200 mile destination, my (pavement) stuff is a little more direct : ) Would be glad to send you something if you want. Just need to know if you wanted to end up near Asheville or Helen/Clayton/Franklin.

Edited by roadscholar

Thanks Bill, I understand now. I've got a lot of GA routes in base camp, but when I see a Bernie route on video, I add it to the list so I can tie them together . He's turned me on to a bunch of cool rides in GA and AL. I found a GA state route 41 as well as US 41 but the vid looked more like a SR and just made the assumption. I was just trying to ascertain where it was taken. Planning a long spring trip up to Barber museum then east to pick up WV16 up to US50 then back along WV20 so I'm always interested in new, to me, ways north and south through GA. Glad to be a member of this group for ideas.

Edited by bwpsg42
Thanks Terry, will do for sure. Trying to make it to one of the lunches but it's 8-9 hours from my house in the FL Keys to JAX so I have to schedule it out. Hoping for Jan or Feb. I was referring to the video posted earlier in this thread

I assume it's Georgia state route 41 as opposed to 441 which does run from here to somewhere way up there.. Perhaps that's not correct.

Bill (bwpsg42) and Roadscholar, that is not Hwy 41, the video was filmed and posted by Highway41 (Bill W.).

That road is River Road, riding it south from Hickox (US 301 south of Nahunta) to GA-252 (Burned Fort Road - north of Folkston).

This road runs parallel, east of US301 between Nahunta and Folkston.

Ok there was no reference to the actual road Highway 41, it is Bill Woods screen name Personally I wouldn't take it (Hwy. 41) to go anywhere these days as it runs thru the middle of a town every 30 miles or so, some of them big.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_41

The road in the video is River Road which starts just northeast of Folkston and terminates 15 or 20 miles north at US301.

"Bill (bwpsg42) and Roadscholar, that is not Hwy 41, the video was filmed and posted by Highway41 (Bill W.).

That road is River Road, riding it south from Hickox (US 301 south of Nahunta) to GA-252 (Burned Fort Road - north of Folkston).

This road runs parallel, east of US301 between Nahunta and Folkston."

Who's on 1st? No, who's on 2nd.. :grin:

Ok getting back to the thread title, what I did was ride my 1200 Adventure to the CADS meeting tonight which was in a new location on the other side of the river which meant I actually got to ride 10 or 15 miles to get there, part of it being the eight lane 3.5 mile long Buckman (I-295) Bridge. Which is always fun because in most instances you can get away with going almost as fast as you'd like to, triple d's, not really a problem.

Which leads me to the point. After the meeting, a friend, Nick and I swapped bikes for the ride back. He has a newish 800 GS Adventure that's been lowered with Wilbur shocks. To put it mildly, I was blown away at how good the bike is in every way. And I have an '08 800GS I've had since new. The two are like night and day. The Adv is smoother, quieter, has significantly longer gearing, is way more comfortable, smoother throttle response, and seems as fast or faster even tho you can feel the extra weight. 6th gear roll-on bordered on impressive, similar to the 1200.

For the last year or so Ive been pondering whether to trade a couple bikes for a slightly used wethead GS or an 1190 (or maybe a 990SMT) KTM but now I'm not sure. We stopped and talked awhile afterwards and decided why would you need or want something that has so much power it has to be tamed with electronics to keep normal people from getting themselves into trouble. Couple that with the downsize as I age syndrome meaning lighter is better. And lighter doesn't always equate to less high speed stability. I've mentioned this before, the 650/700/800GS's have a 62+ inch wheelbase vs. 59.75 for 1200's and are maybe more stable at speed.

Anyway just an observance, hadn't had a chance to ride one till now, definitely impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

No photos but a great first cold day ride. Not a cloud in the sky, temps from mid 30s to mid 50s.

Morning was a spirited game of chase with Bernie and Bil on some very nice North Florida/South Georgia country roads. Bernie can really string together great routes. Then excellent coffee, biscuit and conversation before we split off in Cecil (just east of the middle of nowhere) so I could visit and leave a gift with family.

Afternoon was more country roads.

Left at 6, home at 5 and a little over 400 miles. Great day.

• 2 weeks later...

Between the flu and the cold, I haven't ridden in almost two weeks. Today was the day. Here in Santa Clarita it was a little cold, 44, but hardly any wind. I took off at 9 heading north. By the time I got to Frazier Park, the wind started picking up. When I got to the Grapevine, it was gale force winds (seemed like it anyway). I kept going till I got to the 166 cutoff. Refueled, toyed with the idea of going to Maricopa but decided against it. I headed back home on the 5 fighting a headwind all the way until I got back to Santa Clarita. Only a 125 miles round trip, but better than nothing.

Is that white sand easier to ride on than the reddish sand? Here in Florida, we try to avoid the white sand because it is often very fine, and sometimes deep enough to cause front end washout.

• 1 month later...

Another great day in the saddle for a few hundred miles southeast of Middle Georgia. Came across what must be the world's most expensive weed eater. I stopped and chatted with the pilot and with permission took a few photos. He said he trims trees encroaching the power lines for the power company.

P1100077%20800x600.jpg

P1100076%20800x600.jpg

P1100073%20800x600.jpg

P1100074%20800x600.jpg

IMG_2463%20480x640.jpg

P1100072%20800x600.jpg

IMG_2464%20480x640.jpg

P1100075%20800x600.jpg

My wife saw a mural posted on Facebook which would make a good Georgia Tag so I retrieved the existing tag and headed to the mural. This guy is very, very talented. While there the owner came out, we chatted a bit, she filled me in on the project. She had painted the barn many years ago and it was in need of new paint. She put a sign up that anyone could help if they wanted. A young man came by and proceeded to produce a little Mayberry in South Georgia.

Original mural by the wonderful owner:

old%20mural%20-%20Copy.jpg

New mural:

P1100057%20800x600.jpg

P1100056%20800x600.jpg

IMG_2461%20640x480.jpg

IMG_2462%20640x480.jpg

P1100062%20800x600.jpg

As it turns out, the young artist is known worldwide. I am amazed as I look through his gallery.

http://www.dylanrossart.com/index.html

I know a person or two who with a little bit to drink might drive on through to the lake.

P1100067%20800x600.jpg

P1100068%20800x600_1.jpg

It was good to get the bike out after many weeks of bad weather.

Be well.

Terry

I would like to see that weed eater in action.

It looks like it would be unstable, especially projected out so far, or am I not seeing it correctly?

By the way, the barber that was the inspiration for Floyd the barber on the Andy Griffith Show is still alive at 92 and at his barber shop most days in Mount Airy NC (Mayberry).

His Name is Russell Hiatt and he used to cut Andy's hair.

I would also Ken, from a safe distance. The name of this company is Rotor Blade Airborne Vegetation Management. They have a video on their site, looks as though they get pretty close to the Hi-Lines. I also found some videos on You Tube.

http://www.rotor-blade.com

Thanks for sharing the story of the barber, interesting.

See ya next Saturday.

Terry

Terry

The Wyoming pics make me glad I finally got my Warm n Safe harness wired up yesterday because it makes me cold just looking at the pics. Terry, your pics of the airborne weed eater are amazing...I ride over and around Valdosta periodically and will have to be on the look out!

I would like to see that weed eater in action.

It looks like it would be unstable, especially projected out so far, or am I not seeing it correctly?

It hangs from the chopper. Have seen them in action, tree top level and close to the high tension wires. Blades counter rotate.

Headed out about 10:30 going north on the 101. Got as far as Santa Maria before the wind started picking up, again! Headed east and went through Frazier Park before heading home. About six hours and 300 miles. The bike was perfect.

AdventurePoser

No riding...solid rain for the past couple of weeks, but I did go out and finally wash the bugs and gunk off the GSA.

We did a 7500 mile ride, coming back a few months ago and the bike has been sitting in the garage since then. It really needed to be cleaned off.

Now, it's back on the battery tender while this latest storm rolled thru. :)

about 8k on the Heidenau's. great off road, a compromise on pavement, and you know you are on them if you are slabbing somewhere. not confidence inspiring on wet tarmack, but why would they be? Love the tires off tarmac.

I will be going to TKC 70's next on that bike which is more road biased.

I went out for a nice 30 mile ride.

Finished getting my '04RT back together after some winter maintenance where I had the Yacugar shocks rebuilt by Ted Porter, greased the u-joints on the driveshaft, lubed the splines, and installed new Paralever bearings (and even made a nifty tool to ensure correct torque on the inside pivot pin).

I also removed the centerstand, side stand to have them painted, as after 80k, they were looking pretty ratty.

Love the way the bike feels with rebuilt suspenders. A noticeable improvement, proving the theory that your suspension degrades just slow enough to not realize its full degradation..... :(

RPG