IGNORED

What you did on or to your bike today......

Firefight911

Lone_RT_rider
143681390678.jpg

I'm glad to see the bottle opener still there. :thumbsup:

Well ya, how else would I open the beer that Foot will buy????? :clap:

You actually believe Alan is going to buy you a beer? :):rofl::dopeslap:

Scrubbed & washed the forks soes I can bring them indoors tomorrow to replace the seals.

Call me a lightweight, but my garage faces west & I just can't work in the afternoon heat.

Pulled both wheels this afternoon, changing tires in the morning.

I got a new set of Michelin PR-4 GT to mount, getting the bike ready for RideSmart in August.

Lone_RT_rider
I got a new set of Michelin PR-4 GT to mount, getting the bike ready for RideSmart in August.

You think they will last that long? ;)

:rofl:

They should, I have slowed way down, plus I been having a hard time finding time and motivation to go for a ride.

Last Saturday, Highway41 and I rode the long way to Valdosta for a good cup of coffee and a unique breakfast. Then did some detours and exit ramps, when I got home around 3 pm it was 105 degrees on the dashboard. Oh by the way, I am not talking about the oil temperature. It is just very hot this year or I am getting very old very fast. :dopeslap:

Replaced the fork oil, seals, & dust caps in the comfort of my living room this afternoon. :Cool: Still have a horn to mount & rear shock to sort out.

Wonder if I'll have it back together in time for RS. ;)

20150706_194925-XL.jpg

Sez the 900 mile tire shredder...

:Cool:

Rode 100 miles on Saturday.

First ride since before shredding knee on Thanksgiving.

Bernie is right, he is getting old and, it is hot.

:grin:

Will hopefully work my way back up to the 500 mile days so Beth and I can head up to FART.

Rode 100 miles on Saturday.

First ride since before shredding knee on Thanksgiving.

Bernie is right, he is getting old and, it is hot.

:grin:

Will hopefully work my way back up to the 500 mile days so Beth and I can head up to FART.

Glad to hear you're back on two wheels Tim! :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider

Takes one to know one! :grin::rofl:

Shawn

P.S. YMMV..... literally. :dopeslap:

Mounted & balanced tars, located & installed Stebel Nautilus, installed rebuilt forks, installed re-adjusted rear Wilbers, & finally buttoned it all up. I'll give it a shake down run to church tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be in Lil Switzerland after all. :Cool:

Takes one to know one! :grin::rofl:

Shawn

P.S. YMMV..... literally. :dopeslap:

388 mile today to scuff in the new tires. Bike is ready for RideSmart, now all I have to do is get all my honey-due list done, before I can leave.

Mounted & balanced tars, located & installed Stebel Nautilus, installed rebuilt forks, installed re-adjusted rear Wilbers, & finally buttoned it all up. I'll give it a shake down run to church tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be in Lil Switzerland after all. :Cool:

Wow, I am glad you got that thing back together.

See you in Lil Switzerland. :clap:

Central Ohio:

Two buddies and myself took an impromptu three day weekend to ride the backroads in Central Ohio. Me on my '04 RT, Mark on his '99 R1100s, and Dave on his '05 RT.

Discovered Route 520 out of Killbuck, OH. Not sure why I never rode this before but it was exhilarating! Twisties and plenty of Amish farm scenery to put a smile on your face. I love the way Ohio backroads are engineered as if someone just rode along and poured some concrete over the hills.

Route 39 between Frederickstown and Perryville is amazing as well. We camped at Pleasant Hill Lake and must say, it was one of the most beautiful campgounds (at least the primitive area) that I've camped in.

A three day weekend riding some of Ohio's best, coming back relaxed and refreshed.

Cross the border back in southern MI and start cursing the MI Dept. of Transportation, with its amazingly inept ability to maintain any kind of concreted or asphalt surface. :(

Impressions: My RT continues to impress and leave a smile. Am I afraid to ride a new model to see how far they've progressed or do I just relish that this bike is something I'll keep forever? Probably the latter.

thanks,

RPG

Rode to work today. Good news is I didn't need to try out the new horn. Bad news is it was hotter than I expected. :P

Edited by Huzband

Rode to my cottage from work last night. Waited until the wind died down to go Slalom skiing. Just as I was getting pulled up, the full moon was making it's entrance over the dark trees in the east. There's that magical time when the sun is fading and the moon glow is increasing. It made the skiing a night to remember.

Awoke around 6-ish this morning to look out and see the glassy smooth lake waiting for someone to use it. Some of us have to work so a quick shower, a protein bar and I was off on the RT to work. God, what a beautiful morning to be on the bike. 72 degrees, and almost no traffic, running in 6th gear at 75 feels like heaven

RPG

Edited by RPG

You paint a pretty picture - one that is familar to me! I will be in the picture below in just a few hours for sunset cruise...

073-S.jpg

lawnchairboy

Nothing. We changed multiple tires, put some bike chocks in a trailer, swapped some rotors, cleaned some chains. Another glorious week in Salida courtesy Larry and Louise. Great to see them and Chris Blacske and bill ferran and steve and Sylvia and ringo the wonder dog.

For all you folks considering the UN in 2016, think hard. There are no better hosts than Larry and Louise.

Attended (another) gravel road/off-road training course yesterday in the Rocky Mountain Foothills. Still using the KLX 400 for that type of thing. Fun, but I'm pretty sore this morning. A couple of the big GS's on the course hit the dirt, but all in the slow-speed drills or downhill. Must have been a full day since I had to use the extra 4 liters of gas I carry.

The GS got new (90% pavement) tires this week so I better get it out tomorrow to scrub in the tires.

Mike Cassidy

• 3 weeks later...
lawnchairboy

IMG_2366-M.jpg

OBX: Bodie island light

IMG_2369-M.jpg

lunch spot in Rodanthe

IMG_2370-M.jpg

Rodanthe launch

Edited by lawnchairboy

Rode the RT to the Detroit Tigers game with the California (or is it Anaheim?) Angles. It's the annual Bike Night at Comerica Park event.

The Tigers have been sponsoring this now for a few years. They offer free parking right outside 3rd base, and you get a T-shirt.

Great game too. Verlander's finally back!, taking a no hit bid into the 9th inning. Finished with a 1 hitter, Tigers 5, Angels 0.

Pluses: Great night, great game, fun times

Minuses: Come on Harley guys, 60 year old guys doing burnouts with ear splitting drag pipes is a bit much. Quite a few negative comments too from the regular folks walking by, "Put a freakin' muffler on that thing".......

Hope to do it next year.

RPG

Turned around 5 or 6 times when the road turned to sloppy Georgia red clay.

Not for a 2 up GT passage.

Still had a great morning riding with Beth.

Think we passed Ron-M up in horse country ?

Great day for riding, didn't get hot until the end.

After 6500 miles I couldn't put up with those stinking Bridgestones. Switched to PR4 GT's...woohoo...this is the RT I remember. What a difference a set of tires makes!

home to Cape May and back on the RT, for my nephews coast guard basic graduation, plus a side trip to western part of VA.

Beautiful Cape May. Graduated/let free in oct. of '54.

We did a couple hundred miles of mostly backroads.

Got passed by a 2 up HD on US 90 a few miles from home, they turned into parking lot.

We continued, did a 70 miles meander of linked loop w/hills/sweepers/ horse country.

Came out to another main road about 20 miles west in a small

town.

Here came @10 HD's that apparently had taken one US hwy to another

and made a right. Our friend from earlier was w/them.

Figure they did about 25 miles total, they pulled in diner in the small town.

Looks like they were having a great time.

Didn't stop to join then, maybe next time.

Continued on through a tank of gas on the backroads, picked up slab for about 10 miles, got off and took a 45 mile detour of more nice backroads before getting back home.

A really nice morning.

Took a ride to Cambria for lunch. The weather was perfect, traffic was tolerable. Encountered no problems. Lots of riders out and about. Total of 460 miles. Good day.

Day 8 of a 10 day road trip. Left Klamath Lake and there was no-one on the road to Crater Lake:

P9113575_zpspipqmxyp.jpg

Had the East Rim Drive almost to myself:

P9113555_zps3hdtnre1.jpg

Then a quick run on the Umpqua River Scenic Byway (OR 138) to the Oregon coast at Reedsport and up US 101 to Yachats for an early supper.

P9113593_zpsrzjwqni9.jpg

Cool ride with lots of fog all the way to Tillamook before heading to Portland for the night.

Mike Cassidy

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I went to test Kowalski's latest experiment: I raised the ride height on my Honda a tiny bit to sharpen handling.

While usually I'd have no problem doing such a procedure, on a twin shock bike I was afraid of ending up with a lame horse needing more time in the lab.

Much to my surprise I did everything by the number and handling, as I expected, has been improved even further. Now that bike is a complete joy to ride without compromising stability.

Today I went up to fill up the RT and I've loaded it up: tomorrow I am leaving for a few days in France. Spain was the original destination but due to time constraints it had to be scrapped. :(

I'll meet with a friend from Germany there (he's already on the road) and we'll ride a few classics (Gorges d'Ardeche, Gorges du Tarn etc), plus a few specials.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a craving. It was in the 50's, trees just starting to change, in the high 70's returning home. Just farted around the two lanes for about 500 RT miles.

IMG_2403-M.jpg

wound up here.

IMG_2402-M.jpg

good burger as always. beautiful day.

I finally put the license plate on my old (1971) Honda Trail 90 (CT90).

It was sort of a barn find with no documentation so I had to get a bonded title. It took SIX MONTHS to grind thru the bureaucracy but now it's street legal...licensed, registered, and insured.

The Rocketman

I left home (Long Island) at 6:30am yesterday with a temp of 31 degrees and headed up to Connecticut for a ride. Logged in another 325 miles on the RT. By the time I got up to the Hutchinson River Parkway, it had warmed up to a balmy 40 degrees. Didn't get much warmer than that all day. Thank goodness for heated coat, gloves & seat. Only thing cold, were my toes.

Anyway, here's a nice shot at the base of the covered bridge at West Cornwall, CT:

West%20Cornwall%20Bridge%202_zpsh46rbz1c.jpg

The leaves were gorgeous. Bright golds & reds. Sometimes it was like raining leaves. Soon enough, these roads will be impassable with piles of wet leaves everywhere.

Here's a little video showing the weather I had starting in Patterson, NY when I made my last gas stop on Route 22. Dealt with this for about an hour on the way home. Certainly didn't count on this. First time ever riding in snow.....weird, but pretty in a strange way.

Edited by The Rocketman

Saturday night I get an email from Hopz asking if I'd like to go for a Sunday mid-morning ride somewhere.....anywhere but not too long. Being a Denver Bronco I replied "Yes, but I want to return in time to watch the Broncos trounce the Cleveland Browns." So, we met up at our usual meeting place and headed north to Palmer Lake and then into Larkspur. There's one gas station in Larkspur and it was closed but we hung out there anyway passing the time.

Here's Hopz' new wethead and my new (to me) '05 Ducati ST3. We had a great ride, the weather was perfect and yes, the Broncos won. :grin:

What a great day.

ride_zpsryketlsm.jpg

Started out just riding to Fort Tejon to see the mudslide. Ended up going to Bakersfield and took the 178 east to Lake Isabella, not much lake left. Nice ride and great weather. Ate lunch in Isabella then kept going to the 14. Got off on the 138 west turned left on 3 Points and went home. 310 miles. Good day.

• 2 weeks later...
The Rocketman

Well, it was actually yesterday...

Installed my new Wunderlich/Krauser top case rack. Apparently the new ones now have the front legs more vertical than the older model. Installation was a snap!

Luggage%20Rack%203_zpsqecznq2i.jpg

Luggage%20Rack%202_zpsla8xjj31.jpg

Luggage%20Rack%201_zpsqglaenhg.jpg

Also, installed my new Machineart Moto front fender extender (thanks to those who reviewed and recommended it here):

Fender%20Extender_zpsjtgsl3wq.jpg

And lastly, got rid of that cheesy black plastic upper fork brace plug, and installed the pretty BMW one found on the '10RT's. No logical reason, but not much is....

Steering%20Head%20Emblem_zpsuqz0nnbp.jpg

Then....

Went on a nice 275 mile ride yesterday. Left home at 9:00am; got back at 6:30pm. Headed up the Hutchinson River Parkway to Mount Kisco, and enjoyed riding on Armonk Road, Croton Lake Road and Route 100, around the New Croton Reservoir. Took a bunch of scenic, twisty "pink lines" to Bear Mountain, then on to Seven Lakes Drive and Perkins Memorial Drive. After that, a spirited ride up Hwy 218 (a fav!)past West Point Military Academy. After that, visited Motorcyclepedia Museum for a couple of hours in Newburgh. After that, headed across the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge to 9D heading South, and stopped for pizza in Cold Spring. Then twisted my way East on 301 through Clarence Fahnestock State Park en route to the Taconic Parkway, for the blast home. Colors were gorgeous, Traffic was light. Started off around 50 degrees, warming up to a balmy 68 degrees for most of the ride home. Sure didn't feel like November outside yesterday :-) Gotta enjoy these temps before winter sets in.

I wandered around back roads in 4 New England states, it was 330 miles of pure fun.

For those of you looking for a nice local ride

- i started in Granby on CT. 20 (one of my favorite roads) and headed west to Rt.8.

- I took 8 north to Otis Mass, and picked up Rt 23 east until i hit US 20 in Russell Mass

- I headed west on US 20 for a couple of mile and picked up 112 north

- Stay on 112 north until it becomes 100 in southern VT.

- Picked 9 west in VT until it turns in 7 in NY

- 7 in NY until you NY 22 and then headed south. 22 is a great road!

- I came back east on US 44, which i will avoid in the future because of traffic

The Rocketman

Swapped out the little plastic washers and bolts that came with the Wunderlich Top Case Rack (posted about that 2 posts up), and substituted this Luggage Base Washer Kit/Black (they also come in polished chrome) from Rocket Moto Sport. Cost was $ 27.99 for 8 total pieces including 4 recessed rubber-backed powder coated top pieces, and 4 rubber-backed fender washers for inside. Read about these on the web, and agreed that spreading out the load on the top case lid might help better avoid future stress cracks. Just had to get 4 new stainless button head 6 x 25mm bolts to replace the 4 6x20mm that came with the rack. Done....at least for today.

mount2_zpsq1bhljwm.jpg

mount3_zpsgkv00drx.jpg

Product link:

http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/luggage-rack-base-washer-kit-chrome-black.html