IGNORED

Question: RT end-over

Robus

Has anyone ever heard of an RT doing an end-over under heavy breaking?

Theoretically it must be possible as there are stories of riders experiencing a "stoppie." If the breaking force is enough to cause the rear wheel to rise at all, then it could end-over under the right (wrong) circumstances. That same force if maintained will cause the rear wheel to continue to rise and actually at an accelerating rate as the center-of-gravity gets higher and the wheel base shorter. But in the stories I've heard the bike runs out of energy and comes to a stop before that happens, with the rear tire plopping back down from a height of a few inches to a foot or so.

Also, is the ABS on late-model RTs designed to counteract a "stoppie?"

Thanks.

I have had the rear wheel off the ground 2 or 3 inches on my 07 RT (very hard braking)but then the ABS kicks in and the bike settles ,To go all the way over is not going to happen,,,

Also, is the ABS on late-model RTs designed to counteract a "stoppie?"

Morning Robus

The late BMW ABS-2 & I-ABS & I-ABS Gen-2 systems have an algorithm to prevent excess rear wheel lift. It works pretty crudely on the older ABS-2 systems with the front brake abruptly releasing when you don't expect it.

The I-ABS & Gen-2 works a lot smoother and is a lot more refined so a rider really has to play hard to get it to kick in to a level that is noticeable.

You can get a bit of a stoppie on all of them as the response isn't fast enough to totally prevent rear wheel lift if the brakes are applied harshly & quickly with great force. The rear wheel lift won't be very high & for very far but you CAN lift the rear wheel if you try hard enough.

Yep... I have seen it first hand on a demo ride back in 2003 at the MOA Rally in Charleston WV. A heavy set guy was demoing a R1150RT, came to a stop light that had just split the group into to, he grabbed a handful of front brake and up he went... I always wondered what the underside of an RT looked like.... now I know. He was fine, but the first thing out of his mouth was... "What the $%^& is with these brakes!" Obviously he wasn't attuned to the Servo Assisted brakes of that era. My wife and I were demoing a LT at the time and I worried what she would say knowing that my bike at the time WAS a 2002 R1150RT.

Yep... I have seen it first hand on a demo ride back in 2003 at the MOA Rally in Charleston WV. A heavy set guy was demoing a R1150RT, came to a stop light that had just split the group into to, he grabbed a handful of front brake and up he went... I always wondered what the underside of an RT looked like.... now I know. He was fine, but the first thing out of his mouth was... "What the $%^& is with these brakes!" Obviously he wasn't attuned to the Servo Assisted brakes of that era. My wife and I were demoing a LT at the time and I worried what she would say knowing that my bike at the time WAS a 2002 R1150RT.

Thanks for the replies. So this guy did go all the way over?

Yep, he went straight over the handlebars. I was surprised he got up as quickly as he did. I think his ego was hurt more than anything physically hurt.

I did a "panic" stop from over 70 mph on a '07 RT loaded with camping gear and the rear tire does come up a little. The ABS action was almost undetectable but you could feel the rear going up and down.

It felt so unusual that I went back to check out the pavement. It left this beautiful "dashed line" with intermittent "dots" where the rear tire was bouncing.

Archived