IGNORED

Rear View Helmet

Hi_Fi_Guy

Just saw this on C-Net... looks cool.

U.K. company Reevu has created a motor-sports helmet with a built-in rear-view mirror to enhance safety on the road. The Reevu MX1 helmet features a patented multiple mirror system manufactured from a reflective polycarbonate material rather than glass.

MSX1side_450x450.jpg

whatyousee_550x275.jpg

MSX1back_450x457.jpg

it's messin' me up just lookin. Isn't that truck in the rear view driving on the wrong side of the road eek.gif

Nope, it is on the right-hand side of the road. The yellow diamond shaped road sign in the picture shows that it was taken in France - the sign means that the main road has priority, rather than the side roads which is the default in france.

I have seen various demos of this helmet/concept for a couple of years now, but as yet no sign of any for sale or even a projected price.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Man that thing would drive me nuts eek.gif just like the heads-up display engineers are mucking around with.

Your brain takes in so much more information than driving a car that I think those devices are a total distraction. Your eyes are scanning the road for debris,road hazards,animals,turn in points,exit points,and my favorite, gawking campers. Things you take for granted in a car, are hazards on two wheels and need the attentiveness of the rider. The only time I care what's behind me is at a traffic stop to be sure the knuckle head on the phone is gonna stop.

I applaud the technology and hard work that goes into dreamscape ideas...but it's certainly not for everyone. I don't see a market for these, but I bet they sell plenty to the person who just has to have the newest and latest gizmo.

Man that thing would drive me nuts eek.gif just like the heads-up display engineers are mucking around with.

Your brain takes in so much more information than driving a car that I think those devices are a total distraction. Your eyes are scanning the road for debris,road hazards,animals,turn in points,exit points,and my favorite, gawking campers. Things you take for granted in a car, are hazards on two wheels and need the attentiveness of the rider. The only time I care what's behind me is at a traffic stop to be sure the knuckle head on the phone is gonna stop.

I applaud the technology and hard work that goes into dreamscape ideas...but it's certainly not for everyone. I don't see a market for these, but I bet they sell plenty to the person who just has to have the newest and latest gizmo.

Have you tried this? No? Thought not. Remember, scanning is supposed to include the occasional check in the mirrors. I just got beat on for not checking behind enough when leading a ride of only 4 guys. My 1200RT's mirrors are not very good at seeing behind the bike. I may get a handlebar mirror to suppliment. I'm not saying this helmet is a great idea. I am saying it might be a great idea, especially for sport bike riders who can barely see anything out of their mirrors, let alone behind the bike. At this point, I want to know:

1. When can I try one?

2. How much will it cost?

3. Is the angle of view set for a leaned over sport bike or an upright touring bike?

4. What happens when the sun is behind you shining straight into the mirrors?

-TB

Ok ... i'mm sure I will get beat up on this but, adding a rear view mirror in a helmet seems kinda moot. For me it appears to be to much going on in an arleady limited field of view of the helmet. I personly turn and look when changing lanes and dont really rely on my mirrors for that purpose. It just seems (in my opinion) that watching traffic come and go in my viser can actualy cause problems. for example..your riding along and someone comes up behind you and in your viser you see a car heading right at you in your lane...I don't know I just don't think MY brain could handle that.

COOL Concept though.

Tom you bring up some good points. No, I haven't tried it, but I would certainly like to be on the testing comittee. If Motorcyclist Magazine gets some I'll be on board.

And yes I have I know perfectly well how to scan my backside when leading a group of riders whether it be around a race track or on coordinated rides.

Yes sport bike mirrors are only good for examining your arm pits if you choose to adjust them that way. My self, I adjust all of my bike's mirrors for a safe lane change, and adjust my head,elbow as needed for examining my troops behind me when leading a sanctioned ride.

Opinions are just that, and how I feel about this technology, while it is cutting edge of something, I would not deem it approved head gear, especially for the novice user. Nor would I expect it to be approved by the National Committee of Safety Devices of the Motorcycle Institute safety board.

I would expect the helmet itself was designed well as a protection device, and maybe even wind tunneled. However, Europe has a completely different standard of practices and policies for which a device is deemed safe for all users of a motorized device.

Archived