IGNORED

My GPS thinks it's 1925!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

On a trip last weekend, my Garmin 276C didn't change over to nighttime display colors at sunset as expected. I noticed the displayed time was an hour behind actual time, so I deactivated the "auto" daylight savings time setting, making it show the correct time. The colors still didn't switch over to nighttime. confused.gifconfused.gif Finally realized that the date it had was July 15, 1925, and the calculated sunset time for that date was considerably later than the actual time; IOW, it thought the sun hadn't set yet.

The GPS knows where it is, and knows the correct local time, but the date is screwed up. It still is, even today.

I tried pulling the battery and card and cycling power, but no dice.

Anyone seen this before? Suggestions? Unit is 18 months old.

Have you checked to make sure that you're not in 1925? ooo.gif Whhhhooo, Spooky!

Seriously though, Does the 276C not have a Master Reset somewhere? Should be a pin-hole where you can stick a penpoint into and rest the GPS.

Cheers

Lawrence

On a trip last weekend, my Garmin 276C didn't change over to nighttime display colors at sunset as expected. I noticed the displayed time was an hour behind actual time, so I deactivated the "auto" daylight savings time setting, making it show the correct time. The colors still didn't switch over to nighttime. confused.gifconfused.gif Finally realized that the date it had was July 15, 1925, and the calculated sunset time for that date was considerably later than the actual time; IOW, it thought the sun hadn't set yet.

The GPS knows where it is, and knows the correct local time, but the date is screwed up. It still is, even today.

I tried pulling the battery and card and cycling power, but no dice.

Anyone seen this before? Suggestions? Unit is 18 months old.

Sounds like the unit was a prototype and is 80 years old grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Have you checked to make sure that you're not in 1925? ooo.gif Whhhhooo, Spooky!

Seriously though, Does the 276C not have a Master Reset somewhere? Should be a pin-hole where you can stick a penpoint into and rest the GPS.

Haven't RTFM yet, but I just looked over the unit, and can't find anything like a reset button.

I thought the date was part of the signal coming from the satellites though.

Haven't RTFM yet, but I just looked over the unit, and can't find anything like a reset button.

I thought the date was part of the signal coming from the satellites though.

Hard reset (as reported for the 176C): Quit + Menu + Rocker down on Power On ... (should work on the 276C and 376C)

I would do a hard reset.

Then a firmware upgrade.

If these fail, send back. The hard reset will probably do the trick, something got the clock stuck and it won't accept reality from the satellites.

If by chance you're really in 1925 via time warp or something, load up on stocks and sell in about 5 years. in this case market timing will be everything.

Joe Frickin' Friday
If by chance you're really in 1925 via time warp or something, load up on stocks and sell in about 5 years. in this case market timing will be everything.

Um, I'm thinking 4.5 or even 4 years; 5 years is prolly too long. eek.gif

I'll try the key-chord reset tonight and report back here. Thanks all.

This is easily fixed.

1) Put the unit into simulator mode.

2) In the Main menu go to setup.

3) Highlight the time tab.

4) Press menu.

5) From the submenu choose change date.

6) Take the unit out of simulator mode.

Take the unit out of simulator mode and leave the unit out side long enough to acquire.

You may need to do this twice however, this should change the date to the appropriate date without a "reset"

That may not work, as part of the date voodoo is that the system uses an 18 year epoch ... so the "year" never comes down from the satellite and he's stuck in the Roaring Twenties ... fortunately he's close enough to Canada to enjoy a legal drink.

After doing some research of my own -- I just had to test that damned sequence -- it seems that the sequence should read:

Zoom Out + Nav + Quit then tap the power button ... continue the three-finger chord until the unit comes on.

I had to try this a couple of times, but I got it to work on the 376C.

Source: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/secret.htm

Joe Frickin' Friday
This is easily fixed.

4) Press menu.

Take the unit out of simulator mode and leave the unit out side long enough to acquire.

You may need to do this twice however, this should change the date to the appropriate date without a "reset"

This worked! It was at step 4 where I discovered that the GPS in fact believed it was 2025, not 1925. I had simply assumed 1925 when seeing "25"; I guess I'm not Y2K compliant. blush.gif

Anyway, yeah, I reset the year to 2005, and as soon as it found a satellite, it set the date properly. Crisis averted! Thanks much.

Matt, thanks for the reset procedure; I'll file that away too. thumbsup.gif

This is easily fixed.

4) Press menu.

This worked! It was at step 4 where I discovered that the GPS in fact believed it was 2025, not 1925. I had simply assumed 1925 when seeing "25"; I guess I'm not Y2K compliant. blush.gif

Anyway, yeah, I reset the year to 2005, and as soon as it found a satellite, it set the date properly. Crisis averted! Thanks much.

Matt, thanks for the reset procedure; I'll file that away too. thumbsup.gif

super clap.gif

Did you get any good stock tips when you were there in 2025 that you would like to share. 20 years from now I might be looking for fresh funds to purchase the 2025 RT.

I had simply assumed 1925 when seeing "25"
[hijack]

A bar in this area is advertising on the radio and the verbiage includes the phrase, "Set in an authentic turn of the century salon." Now to me, "authentic turn of the century" to be true would have to mean the place existed in 1900. Or else they should be saying, "Set in an authentic turn of the century styled salon."

Problem is it's located in a reasonably new strip mall. When quizzed about it they replied, "The building was built in 1998." So it turns out their advertising IS true!

[/hijack]

A bar in this area is advertising on the radio and the verbiage includes the phrase, "Set in an authentic turn of the century salon." Now to me, "authentic turn of the century" to be true would have to mean the place existed in 1900. Or else they should be saying, "Set in an authentic turn of the century styled salon."

Turn of the century or not, seems like a strange place for a bar. I'd think the smell of wet hair, shampoo, and styling chemicals would make it tough to do much drinking.

You say Saloon, I say Salon... hey, let's all go, have, a, drink!

Yeah, I suppose the story would have made a little more sense had I spelled Saloon right! Damn spell checker can't read my mind, what's up with that? tongue.gif

Id like to have one of those time warp thingy's, id go back to about five minites prior to asking my first ex to mary me....yeah, thats what I would do if I had one of those.

Archived