IGNORED

R12RT Thermometer

Rick01

The thermometer on my new R1200RT consistently reads 14 degrees F too high. The tech at Bob's BMW is unaware of any procedure to adjust/calibrate the thermometer. Is there such a procedure?

TIA, Rick

It's a 2005 R1200RT.

Since the computer provides an electronic readout of temperature on the display, there should be some calibration/adjustment avaialble at the computer level.

My 05 RT read about 2C too low. Last week it had a software upgrade. Two of the effects are that the temperature is now not displayed until the engine is started and it reads 5C too high!

So it is adjustable, it is just a question of how and getting it right! Its frustrating because the readings are consistently wrong so the thermometer is inherently accurate just miscalibrated.

Paul

The thermometer on my new R1200RT consistently reads 14 degrees F too high. The tech at Bob's BMW is unaware of any procedure to adjust/calibrate the thermometer. Is there such a procedure?

TIA, Rick

My '06 reads very close at startup, but when the engine is warm it reads 5-8 deg. above actual ambient temperature.

The temperature probe is under the rear fender atop the rear tire. This surely will cause a readout different than the true ambient temperature, won't it?

I don't understand how they could mess this up so bad. The temp gauge on my Honda is dead on the money at any temp.

My RT is 5 low, but at least it is consistent. Now I'm scared of the software upgrade, cause I have to learn it all over again.

Ambient temp is good info for a Long Rider.

My RT (August 05) build has sensor in rear mudgard, but also has cable clips within frint right faring without a cable. A new bike inspected in dealer showroom had sensor mounted in front right faring using cable clips as per my bike. This is the fix!. I have asked the dealer to fix mine as it reads about right on start up but the just reads higher as the bike is ridden (heat picked up from the bike).I am informed no fix yet available ie relocation of sensor but BMW working on it, we await !.

The temperature probe is under the rear fender atop the rear tire. This surely will cause a readout different than the true ambient temperature, won't it?

I would think that the heat off the pipe wouldn't affect it that much while riding, but apparently it does.

Uh, Guys...

They are almost all reading 5 degrees to COLD. That suggests to me they aren't picking up any HEAT from the exhaust, radiant or otherwise. grin.gif

But, I could be and often am wrong. smirk.gif

And apparently this is one of those times. I see a number of people are seeing higher than ambient readings. In the earlier threads they were almost all too low by about 5 degrees. Mine is a very consistant 5 degrees too low suggesting the sensor placement is good (in rear fender) but the calibration is off. Or, maybe I'm off. eek.gif

Regards,

Carl

If you have not had the software update your temp reading will be low.

If you have had the software update your temp will read ok on start up but the will rise as the bike is warming it up.

If you have the latest build with sensore in front right hand faring all should be OK!.

I think!.

• 1 month later...

I've been monitoring the inaccuracies of my temp guage recently and I'm convinced the reading varies with battery charge and alternator output.

The temp reading invaribly shows at least 4 degrees centigrade low on start up, and then increases over the next 4-5 miles towards the correct ambient temp. If I then ride hard and keep the revs up, the reading will invariably rise 1 degree but will drop again if I'm riding more sedately.

At my 600 mile service on my 05 RT I asked the service manager about this and he said they were aware of the problem but they hadn't gotten an answer/fix from BMW yet.

I took my ’05 r1200rt in for its 6k and they "fixed" it dopeslap.gif. It used to read very close to the banks around town. Off by only one or two degrees and who knows which was "right". Now it is always off by at least 8 degrees and usually by ten or more, always high and never right. It has been rendered completely worthless. frown.gif

Yesterday my '05 read 2 degrees low. Today it is 8 degrees low. The dealer says BMW is working the problem.

The gas guage is also intermittent. I could say something about oil indications.... Anyway it sure has been fun putting the first 7000 miles on it.

Brand spank'in new 2006 12RT. 5-6 degrees too high and very consistent. For the money you think they'd get it right but the subtraction isn't that hard. I really didn't buy the bike for the temp gauge... would prefer it not even be on there. The day I listen to a computer tell me whether I'm too hot or too cold I'll stop riding. If I start to shiver, I put on more stuff (heated liner). If I get too hot I start opening vents or shedding clothes. cool.gif

Harvey_Harrison

I took my 05 R12RT in for its 12K service and told the service tech that the temperature read 7 degrees low. He said the mechanic checked it out and it was within BMW specs. Therefore, no fix.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this one up. Has the problem been generally solved? My 05 RT (only 1650 miles) reads consistently, but 5 degrees too low.

I just saw a bulletin addressing this today. If you complain they will relocate the sensor from the rear to the front like the newer bikes have it. The ZFE also needs to be programmed with CIP 5.1 or higher.

Have your dealer refer to bulletin 62 001 06 (005)

Mine did something strange today. It was 56 degrees when I got to work. After work it was close to 80, but the thermometer still read 56! Stayed there about 5 minutes, and then slowly, one degree at a time, it crept up until it was correct. eek.gif

Anybody seen anything like that?

I just saw a bulletin addressing this today. If you complain they will relocate the sensor from the rear to the front like the newer bikes have it. The ZFE also needs to be programmed with CIP 5.1 or higher.

Thanks, Dan!

Mine did something strange today. It was 56 degrees when I got to work. After work it was close to 80, but the thermometer still read 56! Stayed there about 5 minutes, and then slowly, one degree at a time, it crept up until it was correct. eek.gif

Anybody seen anything like that?

Have you read the earlier posts ?

I had this problem during winter last, notified the dealer who advised me BMW were working on a fix, eventually they relocated the sensor from the rear wheel arch to the inside of the front fairing on the right hand side, to be honest I dont rate it as a proper fix as the temperature gauge is still wildly inacurate, eg. reading a balmy 9 degrees celcius when its closer to 0 or below, eg. NO FROST WARNING indicator., I of course use my common sense when it is cold but there are times when you can go from reasonably warm temps at the coast to below zero and black ice in the hills, I hope they sort this out for good soon.

AidoDub

Wish mine was consistent! It was 5 low (F) all winter, but when it get up into the 80's it starts reading high. Not really a terribly useful farkle.

My ambient thermometer is actually pretty accurate. When I drive by a bank with a displayed temp, my bike nearly always agrees within 2 degrees. I have an '05 RT with the sensor above the rear wheel, and I see no need to change a thing.

Jay

I have a problem with the local weather station calling me to "go take a ride and a temp reading" so they can set their gauges to what ever the RT is reading grin.gif

Then there is this other problem with the nuclear clock getting out of adjustment and they call me to get a reading off my wrist watch to get things back aligned eek.gifdopeslap.gif

My ambient thermometer is actually pretty accurate. When I drive by a bank with a displayed temp, my bike nearly always agrees within 2 degrees. I have an '05 RT with the sensor above the rear wheel, and I see no need to change a thing.

Sounds to me like the bank needs to get their thermometer checked.

dopeslap.gif

• 1 month later...

As a physicist I have also been bothered by the temperature readout. I analysed rear-mounted sensor (it's a thermistor)and checked readout with a resistance box. Conclusion: readout calibration low by 8F. Also sensor picks up variable amount of engine & road heat while riding so typical net error is 5F low.

Archived