IGNORED

gs 650 hot rod

spivey williams

spivey williams

i want to convert my gs 650 to more of a motard style bike and could sure use some idea's, i have changed the exhaust to the under tail remus, changed the filter to a k&n, installed a power commander fuel system, changed the front gear from a 16 to a 14, i really want to make this bike a fun street mobile, is there anything else that i can do to step it up without doing internal motor stuff? any ideas would really be appreciated. also i have lowered it 2 inches with good street tires.

• 3 weeks later...

The cheap way to improve perceived power is to scrap weight.

Otherwise, a motor is simply an air pump that has to be matched with the proper amount of fuel. You've done the basic bits and could always go to a dyno to be sure they're dialed for all they can do but aside from that you're out luck without changing some hard parts to pump more air. For most motors the next step might be cams, pistons or head porting or maybe all 3.

spivey williams

i agree with the trip to weight watchers, i also agree everything to give it real horsepower is from the top of the piston up. i just wondered if there was anything on the market i may have missed. it is almost as fast as it needs to be for this old guy as is, thanks for the help.

You mentioned lowering it, but didn't say if you had the suspension re-valved. Speed is no good if it doesn't handle well.

You could also either install a thinner head gasket or have the head decked. Bumping compression a bit would help in the hp dept. without getting into big $$.

Not to get personal, but what do YOU weigh? The weight the bike's power has to fight against isn't just its own, but EVERYTHING it's hauling. I know my RT would be faster if I'd lose 25lbs.

Archived