IGNORED

The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again

Joe_Rocket

I can confirm the problem also affects European bikes and it's well known on our shores too. I am still waiting for a reply whether or not BMW will shoulder at least part of the costs and reimburse owners who replaced the part at their expenses.

Following all the conversations on here I checked mine (UK 2006 RT with 50k miles) and guess what? Yes it's cracked, but not leaking - yet!!

Be interested to hear how you get on with the reply from BMW

Checked with regard to reporting to VOSA (UK vehicle safety agency) but it appears mine doesn't fit the definition,

as there was no 'incident', or leak resulting from the cracks yet!!! :(

Checked with regard to reporting to VOSA (UK vehicle safety agency) but it appears mine doesn't fit the definition,

as there was no 'incident', or leak resulting from the cracks yet!!! :(

If it's of any consolation I am still waiting for a direct reply from BMW.

However BMW and Continental had a legal wrangle over the E90 3-series fuel pumps which ended up with Continental paying BMW several millions to extend warranty to ten years with cars fitted with the N54 engine. This was a huge story and it ended up in a huge p***ing match which saw lawsuits flying...

I really hope it won't end like this: BMW Law Suit

Read page 4-5 very carefully. :(

^^I had that engine, with those problems and it WAS in the shop a number of times (and once for over a week). I have received class action suit papers but I (as usual) will receive but a mere pittance.., crumbs if lucky (like the recent eBay suit, I received a check in the mail for -DEAD SERIOUS- .55 cents. The lawyers will receive millions..

BUT, I approve of the idea.. OF the lawsuit to force a REMEDY for the bikes! but these class action lawsuits by the lawyers makes me want to spit nails... I could go on and on about other class action suits I became party too... but my blood pressure (with medicine) has been pretty good lately and well, why chance suffering a stroke! ;-)

but these class action lawsuits by the lawyers makes me want to spit nails... I could go on and on about other class action suits I became party too... but my blood pressure (with medicine) has been pretty good lately and well, why chance suffering a stroke! ;-)

I'm no lawyer but nearly every class action offers the opportunity to opt out and not be bound by it and to sue individually instead. Some class actions are dumb and are only to make big money for lawyers (and for the initial few claimants); others are good and justified.

That said, I'm anxious to check my '06 RT for cracks. NHTSA will hear from me if they're there.

^^I had that engine, with those problems and it WAS in the shop a number of times (and once for over a week). I have received class action suit papers but I (as usual) will receive but a mere pittance.., crumbs if lucky (like the recent eBay suit, I received a check in the mail for -DEAD SERIOUS- .55 cents. The lawyers will receive millions..

BUT, I approve of the idea.. OF the lawsuit to force a REMEDY for the bikes! but these class action lawsuits by the lawyers makes me want to spit nails... I could go on and on about other class action suits I became party too... but my blood pressure (with medicine) has been pretty good lately and well, why chance suffering a stroke! ;-)

I am with you about the idea of using a lawsuit to force a remedy. There's already a fix available (the new fuel pump pictured before in this thread), meaning BMW and Continental know about the issue.

Having said that I am astonished at the lack of interest of BMW owners around here. A couple of years ago I bought a spare fuel pump controller (FPC) after hearing about all the failures from some friends from Britain wher it was big news. Yet there was no mention about it on local forums etc. When I went to buy the FPC the chap at the spares department didn't even check his computer for parts number but headed straight for the shelves saying "I hope I still got one: we just cannot keep those things in stock!".

Same thing with the fuel pump flange: I heard about it first on this very board. Again it's a known issue to dealers but owners seem completely disinterested. When they find a fuel leak they just ring the dealer and pay the bill: they have no interest in knowing why and how. "Stuff just happens!"

Quite a different attitude I say.

Had a rethink on the VOSA report (seems the NHTSA work along the same lines) sooooo...... details submitted for them to decide whether or not it fits their definition of a fault. We shall see.

If they do accept it and give any form of fault reference I'll publish it on here for the benefit of readers on this side of the pond.

Had time today to make my first clamp on the CNC,,,Still need to tweak the program a little but am happy so far with how it came out,,Still need to drill and tap it for the bolt,,Im getting there,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IMG_0448.jpg

Had time today to make my first clamp on the CNC,,,Still need to tweak the program a little but am happy so far with how it came out,,Still need to drill and tap it for the bolt,,Im getting there,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IMG_0448.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your solution! This problem sucks, the weather is nice here in the northeast, no snow, relatively warm. Can't ride due to fuel leaks!

Had time today to make my first clamp on the CNC...

Tim, after you get all the details sorted out, I'm gonna need one of these. :thumbsup:

--

Mikko

^ I received a check in the mail for -DEAD SERIOUS- .55 cents. The lawyers will receive millions..

I only got .31 cents from Ebay... I just through the check in the trash.

Just a little followup report after 2 and a half years of the quick-weld solution to our cracked flange problem .My '07RT has remained dry as a bone.

Scratch it,acetone it,apply it,cure it,drive it.Chemists ROCK

^ I received a check in the mail for -DEAD SERIOUS- .55 cents. The lawyers will receive millions..

I only got .31 cents from Ebay... I just through the check in the trash.

HeHe! Yeah, I never cashed mine either.

CoarsegoldKid
Just a little followup report after 2 and a half years of the quick-weld solution to our cracked flange problem .My '07RT has remained dry as a bone.

What product did you use?

What product did you use?

I used J-B weld on the one I have on my bike now,,Over a year old and still good,,
Looks like I'm getting my money's worth out of my extended waranty. This was a very timely thread for me. I have less than three weeks left on the extended warranty. Thanks to this thread, I decided to check my fuel pump outlet - yep, the cracks are there on my 07 RT. Surprisingly, with 133k on the bike, the cracks are smaler than many of the bikes with much less mileage. BMW must been aware of the problem since there is a new updated part with reinforcement around the outlet. Here's a couple of pictures of the new unit, courtesy of Robert at Lonestar.

In support of Dave's findings...

I just had my pump replaced by BMW Ft. Worth for a dead regulator. In addition to the regulator, it had developed two cracks in the plastic flange. I saw Dave's pics of the new pump with improved metal ring on the flange but didn't think I would actually see the new design on my replacement pump. Lo and behold, it is not a myth!

GSFuelPump.jpg

EDIT: BTW, the bike is an 07 GSA

James, can you get the new pump parts # from your dealer? perhaps I can get through BMW stonewalling with it...

Thanks! :clap:

I'm not James but I just had my fuel pump assembly replaced Thursday. According to the repair order, the part number is 16147680369

In support of Dave's findings...

I just had my pump replaced by BMW Ft. Worth for a dead regulator. In addition to the regulator, it had developed two cracks in the plastic flange. I saw Dave's pics of the new pump with improved metal ring on the flange but didn't think I would actually see the new design on my replacement pump. Lo and behold, it is not a myth!

GSFuelPump.jpg

EDIT: BTW, the bike is an 07 GSA

That looks like the original fuel pump controller - I would keep an eye on it.

That looks like the original fuel pump controller - I would keep an eye on it.

Yes, thanks. There appear to be no design changes which would keep the water out of the controller... no surprise. I'm gonna have to do something to try and remedy the problem. Feel free to PM me with any suggestions/links so as not to get off topic in this thread. Perhaps a simple bead of caulk might work?

I have been following this thread and finally got around to checking it this weekend. Luckily I have no cracks...yet. Mine is an '07GS with 43K on the clock.

As I posted earlier in this thread (1st Feb) I filed a report on this side of the 'pond' with VOSA (UK equivalent of NHTSA)

Received a letter today stating they have referred it to the vehicle manufacturer (not holding my breath there then)

to initiate their own investigation and tests.

For what it's worth I have the VOSA ref VSD24322, although I'm unable to find anywhere to either search for, or amend it to any subsequent reports.

Sounds like that will go right in the BMW revolving file.. under the letter "T".

As you said "Don't hold your breath."

FWIW, If there were a bunch of fires, and to be even more frank, a fatality or two.. SH*T would happen... otherwise, forget it; And it is this "probable lack of response" that gets my second favorite profession in the world involved.. lawyers.

Sounds like that will go right in the BMW revolving file.. under the letter "T".

As you said "Don't hold your breath."

FWIW, If there were a bunch of fires, and to be even more frank, a fatality or two.. SH*T would happen... otherwise, forget it; And it is this "probable lack of response" that gets my second favorite profession in the world involved.. lawyers.

I truly hope this gets corrected by BMW.

if it takes the lawyers, so be it.

They owe every owner to correct this serious problem.

OK,,Clamp done,,Just waiting for my thread sealer to come in,,I ordered a pint of Gasoila E-Seal and a pint of Gasoila Soft Set,,I well try them both and see which one works the best,,I tightened the clamp till I could not move it with my thumb,,IMG_0452.jpgIMG_0453.jpg

OK,,Clamp done,,Just waiting for my thread sealer to come in,,I ordered a pint of Gasoila E-Seal and a pint of Gasoila Soft Set,,I well try them both and see which one works the best,,I tightened the clamp till I could not move it with my thumb,,

Can you mass produce these?

OK,,Clamp done,,Just waiting for my thread sealer to come in,,I ordered a pint of Gasoila E-Seal and a pint of Gasoila Soft Set,,I well try them both and see which one works the best,,I tightened the clamp till I could not move it with my thumb,,

Can you mass produce these?

You mean like this??? :grin: They are going to run $25 bucks Shipped in the USA ,,PM me your address and I well get it in the mail to whom ever wants one,,When you get it and like it,,Send me a check < If you don't like it ,,Send it back,1/24th the coast of a fuel pump :thumbsup:IMG_0454.jpg

^Would you say that this can be used as a preventative measure (I would think so..) or recommend to use only "if" you have cracks?

Edit: Thinking about the design of the new fuel pump that has a strengthening ring in place I guess I can answer my own question.. Yes... use it (ahem) prophylactically

^Would you say that this can be used as a preventative measure (I would think so..) or recommend to use only "if" you have cracks?
If you can put it on before it cracks,,The better,,,Howard and Craig just got new pumps under warranty (not the new style) and we are going to install them,,,
So you got them engraved and all.

Is there an option for custom engraving? :grin:

--

Mikko

I was thinking of putting (POS PUMP SAVER) on them,,, :rofl:

Thanks to the dialog on fuel pumps cracking I went ahead and checked mine and found very minor cracks,no leaks. I had to use a magnifying glass and direct lighting to see the cracks. They're very difficult to see when they first start. I would advise double checking the pump with very bright lighting and a magnifying glass

It was replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago and fortunately I got the updated version.

I would be interested but i have done the JB weld repair and its holding tight.

Would i chisel the JB weld off? then clamp it?

Myself,I would leave it the way it is,,I fixed a hole in the fuel tank on my jeep with JB weld and it held for over ten years,,Good stuff.

Wow that was fast,,Only 3 left but don't worry ,,I can make more,,Anybody coming to the AZ ride in 2 weeks that wants one,,Let me know so I can make some up and bring them,,,,,

Looks like you have a winner of a design there. Nice work! :thumbsup:

I ended up with a tight fitting machined aluminum ring smothered in JB Weld. Not quite as elegant, but hopefully just as effective.

For those who are installing these clamps,,Allen size is 2 1/2 mm,,Nut size is 5 1/2 mm (weird size) but a 7/32 socket or wrench fits fine,,Also I sanded off the little numbers on top of the pump with 80 grit sandpaper so the clamp lays flat on the pump,,You well see what im talking about when you install it,,Not necessary but I like a clean fit,,Just me,,,,

First batch all gone,,,I well make more next week,,,Keep the PM's coming and I well let you know when I finish the next batch and can send them out,,Thanks Tim,,,,Wow I made a whole $12,,Im going to Disney Land,,,,,,,,, :rofl:

Wow that was fast,,Only 3 left but don't worry ,,I can make more,,Anybody coming to the AZ ride in 2 weeks that wants one,,Let me know so I can make some up and bring them,,,,,

Haven't checked mine on '09 RT but I will. Hope to be in AZ.in a couple of weeks... see ya there. Great design! Are you installing these with some JB?

Haven't checked mine on '09 RT but I will. Hope to be in AZ.in a couple of weeks... see ya there. Great design! Are you installing these with some JB?

No JB weld needed,,Install,Tighten,,Done deal,,

I must be missing something.

From the few photos shown, yes it showed the cracks, but the top molded plastic ring seems to be just an extension to clear the surface.

The threaded portion goes far deeper and as such don't really seem to rely on the upper protruding part.

Now considering that there "are" people with fuel leaks, did the cracks extend past the top protruding plastic ring into the tank?

I must be missing something.

From the few photos shown, yes it showed the cracks, but the top molded plastic ring seems to be just an extension to clear the surface.

The threaded portion goes far deeper and as such don't really seem to rely on the upper protruding part.

Now considering that there "are" people with fuel leaks, did the cracks extend past the top protruding plastic ring into the tank?

What happens is.....once that ring starts to get cracks in it, the extra space from the cracks allows the threaded female part of the quick disconnect to move around. The only thing sealing it are the threads and the thread sealer applied to those threads. This is the high pressure hose from the fuel pump that I believe runs at about 40psi (don't quote me on that number). A liquid at 40psi will easily find any possible path to freedom.......which in this case means up through the threads (which are no longer sealing), through the cracks, and directly into your lap. At least on a GS the fuel lands in your lap, not sure about the RT.

Well I just had my fuel strip replaced on my 05 R12RT with 32K miles on the clock.

I had them check very carefully to see if there was any evidence whatsoever of cracking around the raised fuel fitting and the inspection turned up nothing. Everything there looked fine.

Thanks to my extended warranty on the bike, the fuel strip only cost me my $50 deductible.

10over, thanks for making these and I am looking forward to getting the two I ordered.

I'm confused because in a post earlier you talked about you ordered Gasoila sealer??

10over, thanks for making these and I am looking forward to getting the two I ordered.

I'm confused because in a post earlier you talked about you ordered Gasoila sealer??

The pump I have on the bike now leaks bad,,Cracked all the way down the treads,,I could use JB weld but that would be Permanent ,You would never get the fitting out,,,,So I am going to try this tread sealer and see how well it works,,,Sealer is on its way,,I well post the results ,,If yours is not leaking,,You don't have to remove the fitting to install this clamp,,It well go right over the fitting,,,

Archived