IGNORED

The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again

Joe_Rocket

neat fix, let me know if your selling them and how much !!

+1 Some cracks are apparent already.

Dam work keeps getting in the way,,but I'll get her done,,,,

Looks like I'm getting my money's worth out of my extended waranty. This was a very timely thread for me. I have less than three weeks left on the extended warranty. Thanks to this thread, I decided to check my fuel pump outlet - yep, the cracks are there on my 07 RT. Surprisingly, with 133k on the bike, the cracks are smaler than many of the bikes with much less mileage. BMW must been aware of the problem since there is a new updated part with reinforcement around the outlet. Here's a couple of pictures of the new unit, courtesy of Robert at Lonestar.

Newpumpa.jpg

Newpumpb.jpg

I think I am looking at a metal ring that is the reinforcement of which you speak.

I don't see the right item on the MaxBMW parts fiche.

I am also looking at Continental on the assembly, rather than Siemens.

So is this not also a different manufacturer?

dc

And why wouldn't it be a different manufacturer?

To come up with a fix for the Siemens part would be admitting guilt.

Wonder who the blame lies with now, BMW or Siemens..?

Jus' sayin' :grin:

MB>

And why wouldn't it be a different manufacturer?

To come up with a fix for the Siemens part would be admitting guilt.

Wonder who the blame lies with now, BMW or Siemens..?

Jus' sayin' :grin:

MB>

In the world of supplier management BMW would be seen as at fault; they would buy off the supplier design as meeting the BMW fit, form and function requirements.

A supplier change on that part is very interesting. That looks to be a injection molded part, the die to mold that part is very expensive. There could be a several dollar per part cost just for the tool to make it. BMW must have made the former supplier pretty mad.

Rod

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. My late 2009 RT has the usual Siemens fuel pump hence this must be a later fix.

Could you please provide the Continental pump parts number, just out of curiosity? With the number at hand I can ask my BMW dealership if it's a US specific fix or not.

This could well be a similar fix to what Honda did with the first FI Varadero. They developed a new ECU to solve low rpm stuttering and idling issues but fitted it not as part of a recall campaign but on a one on one basis.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. My late 2009 RT has the usual Siemens fuel pump hence this must be a later fix.

Could you please provide the Continental pump parts number, just out of curiosity? With the number at hand I can ask my BMW dealership if it's a US specific fix or not.

This could well be a similar fix to what Honda did with the first FI Varadero. They developed a new ECU to solve low rpm stuttering and idling issues but fitted it not as part of a recall campaign but on a one on one basis.

If BMW plans to replace defective units as necessary, there may be a Service Bulletin to that effect. The bulletin may also describe how owners who replaced defective units at their own expense could get reimbursed. Does anyone have access to BMW Service Bulletins?

Karl, I have the 50000km service coming up soon (I am delaying in case of troubles of ESA since I am waiting for the Wilbers to turn up). Be assured I will ask my dealer about service bulletins.

I was asking about the parts number because I have to go order new bolts for shocks and since I know the people down at the spare parts service I can have them running a search for me, no questions asked. ;)

CoarsegoldKid

I could be wrong but I don't think the new version will be directly compatible with the older bikes. My '05 has two rubber hoses going to the system. The picture only shows one as far as I can tell.

I could be wrong but I don't think the new version will be directly compatible with the older bikes. My '05 has two rubber hoses going to the system. The picture only shows one as far as I can tell.

There are two connections, and both show: one has a six-inch length of rubber hose connected to it, and the other is the screwed-in female half of the QD.

David Brick

Santa Cruz CA

2007 R1200R

I think what Joe meant was that, in addition to the quick disconnect, there are two hoses connected to the fuel pump flange by hose clamps. The hose with the quick disconnect is the supply line to the fuel pressure regulator. One of the two other hoses is the fuel return line, and the last hose is the vent line that drains from the small hole in the flange just inside the fuel filler cap.

Yikes, the 3-year extended warranty on my '06 RT runs out February 17. I'd better pull the tupperware and take a look soon. I wonder if heat under the tupperware is a factor or if it's just age?

CoarsegoldKid
I think what Joe meant was that, in addition to the quick disconnect, there are two hoses connected to the fuel pump flange by hose clamps. The hose with the quick disconnect is the supply line to the fuel pressure regulator. One of the two other hoses is the fuel return line, and the last hose is the vent line that drains from the small hole in the flange just inside the fuel filler cap.

What he said.

Makes me wonder if the new improved flange is now available in an upgraded part for the older bikes.

Makes me wonder if the new improved flange is now available in an upgraded part for the older bikes.

I have to think that would be unlikely until an official recall.

Looking at the second picture that Dave_in_TX provided in post #754389, I believe the vent line would attach to the small conical shaped bump between the return line and the fuel level sensor plug. This position matches what I've seen in the BMW RepROM.

Looking at the second picture that Dave_in_TX provided in post #754389, I believe the vent line would attach to the small conical shaped bump between the return line and the fuel level sensor plug. This position matches what I've seen in the BMW RepROM.

Evening Karl

The vent line comes out of the top front of the tank (doesn't pass through the pump assembly), then goes on to the evap canister up in the right front.

The line that passes through the fuel pump assembly is the water drain from the filler cap area not a vent line.

DR,

I agree. But there is also a vent from the flange inside the fuel filler cap. I believe the small hole in that flange is supposed to allow water to drain. The vent tube runs down into the tank and exits through the fuel pump assembly flange.

Well I knew it was just a matter of time. My K1200GT is leaking. I have an extended warranty that should cover replacement. I filed a report with the NHTSA.

I can confirm the problem also affects European bikes and it's well known on our shores too. I am still waiting for a reply whether or not BMW will shoulder at least part of the costs and reimburse owners who replaced the part at their expenses.

Well I knew it was just a matter of time. My K1200GT is leaking. I have an extended warranty that should cover replacement. I filed a report with the NHTSA.
When you bring it in ,Ask to see the new pump and see if it has the new metal collar ,,,,,,,,,,
Lone_RT_rider
I am also looking at Continental on the assembly, rather than Siemens.

So is this not also a different manufacturer?

Continental and Siemens merged. It is most likely the same division and plant, just with a different sign on the building.

Shawn

Filled report with the NTHSA today. My 2005 with 24000 miles has the same problem. What's it going to take for BMW to step up and fix this issue?

CoarsegoldKid
Filled report with the NTHSA today. My 2005 with 24000 miles has the same problem. What's it going to take for BMW to step up and fix this issue?

A decrease in sales, complaints to local dealer's General Manager? I have no idea. Don't hold your breath.

Joe, when or if you are talking to your lawyer about this issue, ask him if Canadian owners of bikes with this problem can join a class action suit.

I know it has been done in other cases, but each one may be unique. If there is strength in numbers, the Great White North may be able to help.

Basil

Joe, when or if you are talking to your lawyer about this issue, ask him if Canadian owners of bikes with this problem can join a class action suit.

Basil

My 06 shows signs of cracks initiating - saw this when I replaced the failed Fuel Pump Controller :(

I just called TRANSPORT CANADA and registered a complaint. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-defectinvestigations-index-76.htm

The guy was very professional and interested - seemed like it made his day interesting! During the call he searched and turned up multiple threads on the issue - I gave him the link to this thread.

So if you are in Canada - call 1-800-333-0510 (toll-free, Canada only) or 1-819-994-3328 (Gatineau-Ottawa region or international) and lodge a complaint.

Basil

My 06 shows signs of cracks initiating - saw this when I replaced the failed Fuel Pump Controller :(

Is there a Canadian Equivalent to NHTSA we can register complaints to?

I did a little searching and found the Transport Canada web site (English version): Link.

Click on "Road" in the menu across the top. On the following page, under "I want to", click on "Report a manufacturing-related problem with my vehicle."

Yep.... 2006 RT, nov 05 built I think. 55k miles.

multiple cracks. will submit per the thread.

smugshot9456073-L.jpg

smugshot7984740-L.jpg

smugshot9201434-L.jpg

ODI # 10445258

Haha, yeah if you're a machinist. Rather alarming statements in that link about the plasticizers being leached out of the plastic parts of the fuel components causing them to become brittle, and Bmw knowing about it when they contracted for the parts. Sheesh.

If the information could be verified, it would make an excellent supplemental report to NHTSA.

You guys got me worried! I have 38000 miles on my 2006 RT and was expecting to see cracks. Just checked...no cracks :clap: I used a mirror and a flashlight because I didn't feel like pulling the tupperware completely off again. I had it off last weekend to check valves, plugs and throttle synch. This is something that I will keep an eye on every time that I do service from now on :thumbsup:

My'07 RT began leaking in the fall '09. Please allow a few tips for those of us non machinist/engineers. No need to remove the fuel tank or the pump assembly. No need to tip bike attempting level.Four minute setup liqui-weld stuff eliminates that need.Acetone scrub after rough up(I used a dremel).I bought a piece of 3/16 aluminum from Lowes and used a 1"spade bit. 1" is a little larger than the flange but it worked well in allowing the epoxy to squeeze up and fill. Word of advice..I got a little glue on the underside of the quick release mechanism..that crap gave me a fit before I managed to cleaned it so protect that with tape or something. Sorry don't know how to poat a pic.

After all the comments here and on ADVrider, I checked mine. '05 R1200GS, many miles, no cracks! I wonder why some crack and some don't. I hope having posted this, mine does not start leaking tomorrow.

Nice n Easy Rider
After all the comments here and on ADVrider, I checked mine. '05 R1200GS, many miles, no cracks! I wonder why some crack and some don't. I hope having posted this, mine does not start leaking tomorrow.

Paul, I'm guessing that you're much better at avoiding the potholes than most of us! :D

It could have to do with how tight the original parts were torqued together at the factory. Mine has 6 cracks, one directly below each of corner of the hex on the threaded quick disconnect insert. When I removed it from the bung on the fuel pump flange it was easy to tell that it had been over torqued. The plastic was deformed on the face of the threaded bung, and the bottom of the threaded insert. Over torquing, soft plastic fittings, gasoline, a bad design to begin with........I think all of it combined together is causing the failures. If yours was torqued properly and didn't damage the bung, then it might never have a problem.

It could have to do with how tight the original parts were torqued together at the factory. Mine has 6 cracks, one directly below each of corner of the hex on the threaded quick disconnect insert. When I removed it from the bung on the fuel pump flange it was easy to tell that it had been over torqued. The plastic was deformed on the face of the threaded bung, and the bottom of the threaded insert. Over torquing, soft plastic fittings, gasoline, a bad design to begin with........I think all of it combined together is causing the failures. If yours was torqued properly and didn't damage the bung, then it might never have a problem.

Mine is exactly the same.

Archived