IGNORED

R80RT 1985

cherylk

Not sure if this is the correct section but here goes. I am looking to purchase on R80RT that has been stored in a shed for 8 years. The bike appears to be in pretty good shape no visible rust. So the question is what kind of headaches would I be getting myself into?

thanks in advance. cheryl

Eight years in a shed is a looooong time. My suggestion would be to get in touch with George at http://beemersuberalles.com/ in Manassas VA. He is a BMW master technician who worked until recently at Morton's BMW and set up his independent repair shop. All the references I heard/read are excellent.

If you're near Charlottsville check with http://www.largiader.com/index.html

Also go to airheads.org.

I had a colorado red color r80rt 1985, first bmw I owned. A great bike - wish I still had it. Eight years. Change all the fluids, clean the carbs, Remove the fuel tank, and clean out the tank, adjust the valves, see if it starts! What may or may not be an issue are the push rod seals, rear main seal, the brake master cylinder. and more. Old bikes sitting are not always the bargain they appear to be. If you pass on it, send me their contact information ;)

John

I think the biggest question is are you going to do the work yourself or if you are going to pay some one to the work. If they are not basically giving you the bike it can end up being an expensive project and it might be better finding a bike that all the work has been done.

If you are going to do the work. Figure on tires, brakes, battery, steering head bearing, carb rebuild and replacing the rubber parts on the bike. All this plus, checking to make sure front forks are not pitted, tank is not rusty and the exhaust looks good. You are taking a chance on there is nothing wrong with the engine, transmission or final drive.

If the frame, body parts and the bike looks good you are doing the work and getting it for a reasonable price, go for it. I have done a couple of bikes this way and they have been excellent machines.

Guest Kakugo

I have a friend who has one with over 150.000 miles on it.

Only issues he had were leaking head cover gaskets (an issue on some engines at very high mileage due to the heads warping very slightly... quickly solved by a local machine shop) and, most curious than all, the centerstand. At around 130.000 miles the skids had worn out. Removed it, took it to an old fashioned blacksmith who cut off the old skids and welded new ones, then painted the whole thing, better than new and for a fraction of what a second hand centerstand goes.

Archived