IGNORED

9th Annual Atlanta Tech Daze - Nov. 5

Chris K

Well, it is that time of year again. We will be hosting our annual ATL Tech Daze on Saturday November 5.

Joel has graciously allowed us to invade his business again this year. So it will be held again at:

Sticky Business

4140 Bonsal Road

Conley, GA 30288

Doors open at 7:45 AM

Coffee and donuts will be ready by 8.

Lunch will also be served.

Tech Day is rain or shine as we have plenty of covered space for the bikes.

RSVP by posting here or sending me a PM.

I am in,

rear drive oil change on R1200ST

and brake fluid flush on Servo R1200ST

I have not done either before. So for the first time in 8 years I will be doing instead of instructing :-)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Watch out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan & Matt, I've got your spaces reserved. Will have chalk outlines on the floor when you get here.

some folks would say I was born to be a chalk outline!

Alan & Matt, I've got your spaces reserved. Will have chalk outlines on the floor when you get here.

Good luck trying to fit Matt into a chalk outline. :rofl:

In, not sure if I need any work done, but maybe able to help someone.

I plan to be there, either for tire change or for throttle cable replacement — but not both. After nearly 4 years, I'm pretty comfortable with everything, so willing to help out with newer owners, if necessary. I've got the R1100 series repair manual as a PDF, so it will be available for reference, if needed.

Lone_RT_rider

I need to do a 24K service, but I have so much going on the week prior. I just can't get it together with that little time. Of course, I never could fully get it together. ;)

Y'all have fun without me. Yes, all y'all. :grin::rofl:

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn & Matt, sorry to hear you guys won't be able to make it.

Me too Chris. If my schedule opens up at all, I may try and ride down Sat morning just to say hello. :)

Shawn

Shawn & Matt, sorry to hear you guys won't be able to make it.

Me too Chris. If my schedule opens up at all, I may try and ride down Sat morning just to say hello. :)

Shawn

What he said...

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to attend and would love to check valve adjustment and sync F.I. on my '05 R1150RT.

After having a fuel hose inside tank failure this weekend and experiencing the economical BMW repair costs, I want to learn more about how to care for my bike on my own. Thanks for this opportunity.

Ya'll might have a chance to help Doc out at your Tech Daze. Take a look HERE at Whip's post

If you folks do have that opportunity to work on Doc's bike - please let all of us know if we can help with a parts fund.

Happy wrenching :wave:

I have been wanting to meet some more of you Atlanta riders. I will be there for Blue Moon Cycle's swap meet on 11/11 and the ride on 11/12. Anyone else going?

Chris, my BMW life has changed. After the RT almost left me on the side of the road and I took it to Blue Moon to find out why, I decided for various reasons that I no longer had the stomach to deal with them. A fellow member on this site wants the bike and I think that he will soon be the proud owner of an extremely nice R1150RT. In some ways I regret this decision, but sometimes the only way to vote is with your wallet. I appreciate your offer and I am sorry that I have not been able to benefit from your hospitality.

g nuse sorry to hear about your problrms with the RT. You are still invited just to hang out and meet some of the other riders from the area.

Small crowd this year. Here is who I have attending so far:

me

randy

Marty

Joel

Selden

Ken I

Chris – xoomerite

terryofperry & friend

We have plenty of room for more bikes, so shoot me a PM or an e-mail if you would like to attend.

Wish I could, but IDPA in the morn, wedding mid afternoon, then the Nat. Champ. game at 8, which Bama will win. :thumbsup:

Me & my hammer will miss y'all, but priorities & all that.

Lone_RT_rider
Judging by the way my bike is running, I may need a throttle body sync

Did you finally drop down below 6K rpm to be able to tell? :dopeslap::rofl:

Judging by the way my bike is running, I may need a throttle body sync

Did you finally drop down below 6K rpm to be able to tell? :dopeslap::rofl:

LOL, yes after pushing hard to meet up with Bernie in Dublin, GA for lunch.

Those are some fast miles south of Atlanta :clap:

My tires are wearing mysteriously long, so I'll probably put off a tire change until spring. I'm thinking of changing the alternator belt (~30,000+ miles), and maybe the throttle cables (if I feel ambitious).

In case they are needed, I plan to bring:

• R 1100 XX series shop manual
  • Twinmax
  • Home-made palm ratchet drive for clutch adjuster bolt
  • Torque wrenches, breaker bar
  • 30mm socket for lock nut on rear pivot bearing

Chris, my BMW life has changed. After the RT almost left me on the side of the road and I took it to Blue Moon to find out why, I decided for various reasons that I no longer had the stomach to deal with them. A fellow member on this site wants the bike and I think that he will soon be the proud owner of an extremely nice R1150RT. In some ways I regret this decision, but sometimes the only way to vote is with your wallet. I appreciate your offer and I am sorry that I have not been able to benefit from your hospitality.

I will interject here if you all don't mind as I too had a bad stomach for my 2002 1150RT when the input shaft failed me. I sold it to a member of the board that was extremely pleased with it even knowing the issues. So with that said, I am the new owner of George's exceptional 2005 1150RT and cannot wait to see her in the garage on the 22nd of November.

George, feel free to go to the tech day and have her all tuned up if you want.

I wish I was coming home a few weeks earlier so I could attend.

I will interject here if you all don't mind as I too had a bad stomach for my 2002 1150RT when the input shaft failed me. I sold it to a member of the board that was extremely pleased with it even knowing the issues. So with that said, I am the new owner of George's exceptional 2005 1150RT and cannot wait to see her in the garage on the 22nd of November.

George, feel free to go to the tech day and have her all tuned up if you want.

I wish I was coming home a few weeks earlier so I could attend.

Hooyah!

Oh, and about the bike too.

:lurk:

Looks like 4 of us from Clemson, SC will ride down on Saturday morning, to see some repairs going on, learn a lot and ask a lot of questions.

Capt'n

Looks like 4 of us from Clemson, SC will ride down on Saturday morning, to see some repairs going on, learn a lot and ask a lot of questions.

Capt'n

That is great Capt'n. I look forward to meeting you and the gang!

You and Randy can both do your ST's together. He is planning on doing a brake flush also. We have the funnel, all you need to bring is the brake fluid.

As always, thanks for organizing this, and for providing the tip on how to lever up the alternator after replacing the belt. If I'd been doing this at home, I would probably have posted a query here, as I was kind of stuck. Obvious, once it's been pointed out; not so obvious if you've never done it before.

Common sense prevailed over enthusiasm today, and I did one maintenance task well, rather than trying to add a throttle cable change to my task list. Next year.

I want to thank everyone for the kindness shown to us at the tech day.

It was good to see Ken and Foot again as well as meet some new friends.

Foot mentioned he had never ridden a GSA so I told him the keys were in it. He declined but maybe next time.

DSCN1947.JPG

A couple of "C"'s showed up.

DSCN1926.JPG

Hard at it.

DSCN1923.JPG

DSCN1945.JPG

DSCN1940.JPG

DSCN1941.JPG

DSCN1942.JPG

Thanks again everyone, THE BEST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET RESIDE HERE ON BMWST.

Terry

Chris,

Thank you and the rest of the people for putting together and excellent Tech Day yesterday. The four of us from Clemson had a great time meeting people, seeing some really disassembled bikes, many good stories and some great food. I hope you will put together another Tech day next year and let us all know when and where it will be. I would also like to contact the rider that changed his alt. belt on his green R1150RT, to thank him for some excellent advise on RT's.

Many thanks and ride safe,

Capt'n

Some are noteworthy :thumbsup:

IMG_1937.jpg

Okay, we're here...now what?

IMG_1939.jpg

Marty supervising...again

IMG_1941.jpg

Marty, act like you're holding the bike up :rofl:

IMG_1942.jpg

We actually did catch him helping Chris

IMG_1943.jpg

Marty says "You mean that's all there is to a brake bleed?"

IMG_1944.jpg

We found a non-BMW within our mix of bikes

IMG_1945.jpg

Chris does the rear brake bleed while Marty faces the GS and prays

IMG_1946.jpg

Prayers are answered when Chris does spill anything on Marty's clean bike

IMG_1947.jpg

Two STs in at Tech Day

IMG_1949.jpg

Alan is too busy watching Chris to pray, he's had accidents :P

IMG_1951.jpg

Along with two STs, there were two Special Edition GSs

IMG_1952.jpg

Our eyes met and it was LOVE :rofl:

IMG_1958.jpg

Along with twos STs and two SE GSs, there were two Cs

Of course the common theme you'll notice is that Chris is doing all the work :dopeslap:

I didn't take any photos of it, but he was also the chef :clap:

Thanks Chris

After the wonderful day of wrenching and eating at Joel's, I got to spend some quality time with Randy on my way home. The quick disconnect on my tank broke on the way back to South Carolina. I had gasoline draining all over the place.

The barrel of a stick pen is the right size to replace the broken connector, held on by a couple of hose clamps. Better to break down in a big city than out in the boondocks as I usually do.

After knocking out the repairs in Randy's garage, I enjoyed a Chinese meal with his wonderful family. Thanks so much for the help.

Thanks to all for coming, it was great to meet so many new people. A big thank you to Joel for letting us invade his shop for the day.

Capt'n I am sorry I couldn't spend more time to meet your group. I hope you found some good roads to the east on your way home.

Lone_RT_rider
Capt'n I am sorry I couldn't spend more time to meet your group. I hope you found some good roads to the east on your way home.

He's from this area Chris, he lives in the Meca of great roads. :)

Captn, sorry I didn't reply to your PM. I Couldn't make this sacred event this year. Next year I will give it more of a try.

It looks like everyone had a great time as always. I did a small tech day at my place this weekend too, but it was just me that showed up. :rofl: I changed the front brake pads on the Miata and did about 7/8th's of a 24K service on the R1200RT. I still have the brake fluid change and the TBS to do, then the panels can go back on. It's kind of nice not to have to rush through the service and just putz around doing it. :)

It looks like if I had come to the ATL tech day, I might have been the only R1200RT there! LOL.

Shawn

Archived