IGNORED

2011 Park "n Ride Rally 10/29/2011

hmeiseles

Have you ever thought how cool those Iron Butt type rallies are?

Rallies where the goal is not to rack up lots of miles but to acquire the highest number of points. Of course, they get those points by going to places, which are often on opposite sides of the country. Truly an event for iron men on iron mounts. Well if your bottom is more akin to cotton candy than cast iron we have a perfect rally for you: The Park 'N Ride Rally!

Designed for the rest of us mere mortals the Park 'N Ride Rally is an easy to complete day ride to some of the most interesting places in Southern California. We'll have two classes, a Novice class where you only have to cover 100 miles and go to 3 bonus locations to be a finisher; and an Open class which is for more experienced rally riders or those who like a challenge. We've designed this rally so it won't matter if you are coming from San Diego, Bakersfield or Santa Barbara. You can start near home and won't have to travel long distance to complete the rally or be competitive. New for this year there will be a base route you can follow as well. The rally's finish is at BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County, 830 Tourmaline Drive Newbury Park CA 91320

What we've done is adapt the "acquire bonus points" goals of the long distance rally into an easy-to-complete eight-hour day ride (you'll have from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m to finish the rally, but you can certainly ride a shorter day) by setting up a series of bonus locations local to Southern California. No special equipment is needed and any street legal bike or scooter will do just fine.

http://www.bmwcosc.com/2011ParkNRide.html

Hmmm, this sounds kinda interesting....can you tell me anymore about the route, where it's taking us?

Don J :wave:

Don there is no route per say. We provide you with all of the rally bonus locations and you figure out your route to get the most points. The person with the most points at the end of the day wins the prize. For more information see

http://www.bmwcosc.com/Pages/ridearchive11/111029/FAQaccordion.html

I did it last year and the bonus locations were from San Diego to Moro Bay. I picked the ones that I could do with any hardship and had a great time.

OK, I think I got it....you guys give me a list of spots to go to, and I pick the route to see how many of these places I can get to AND still be at the Ventura BMW dealer by 3:00 pm. :thumbsup:

Sounds fun, I used to race enduros-time/distance/checkpoints-and I do miss that stuff, this might be a good thing to try!

One more question.....do "performance awards" from the CHP get you DQed? :dopeslap:

Don J :wave:

It was a "for example".....not the actual start time.

Think of it as a scavenger hunt.

I grew up in LA, but last year on the rally, I visited places I'd never been and a couple I hadn't been to for 40 years.

It's a terrific day ride.

Yeah, like is is or is was.

Sign up and you'll get the rally pack a week in advance, with all the specifics. Lots of great people to meet.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked unsuccessfully for a previous Rally Pack just to get an idea of what the actual thing might look like and see what is involved in routing such a ride.

Is such an older version available??

It sounds like a lot of fun.

Archived