IGNORED

R1100RT - Timing Valve

Galactic Greyhound

Galactic Greyhound

Can anyone tell me what and where the 'Timing Valve' sensor on the R1100RT is?

It is referred to in the Haynes '93 - 97 BMW R850 & 1100 4-valve twins' manual, Wiring diagram 1, position H8 and is connected to the ECU Pin 4 and designated TAKTV.

Regards,

Afternoon Galactic Greyhound

On the U.S. 1100RT bike I show pin 4 as controlling the tank breather valve (evap can purge valve).

This is obviously on the U.S. bikes.

If your bike has an emission sticker under the seat see if it shows that valve on your bike.

Added: on the U.S. bikes that valve would be on the L/H (shifter) side about mid frame.

TAKTV.jpg

Galactic Greyhound

Good evening Dirtrider!

Many thanks for your prompt response to my query.

On my UK bike the fuel tank appears to have no breather valve and the breather pipe exits behind the centrestand.

There does seem to be some sort of filter piped in to the fuel cap tank socket (Item 4 Reduction Insert on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0413&mospid=51679&btnr=16_0257&hg=16&fg=11)which may act like a breather safety gauze.

Anyway, thanks again for clearing this up. I have been trying to find out what I can on the Motronic MA 2.2 operation and have been scratching my head on this one for a while.

May I copy your reply with credits to my home forum http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/ as there is some interest in this on the site?

Regards,

Afternoon Galactic Greyhound

That reduction insert is something different than on the later U.S. bikes. On the later (re 1150) U.S. bikes that would be the roll-over valve called a “safety valve” that prevents fuel spilling out of the tank vent if the bike goes over on it’s side. Not sure if the reduction insert is the same thing just with a different name or it is what it says & just a reduction apparatus & with no roll over shut-off.

There is just enough difference between the UK, European & U.S BMW boxers that I learn something new every day it seems.

Sure post it wherever you want.

Galactic Greyhound

Evening Dirtrider!

I was thinking that the Reduction Insert was the petrol cap socket for the tank (reduces the plastic tank opening for the cap)?

Your comment on the thing attached to it being a 'Safety Valve' for the tank vent makes a lot of sense and I am happy with that.

There's certainly plenty to keep us going with these bikes!

Posted your reply here: http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14301

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Hi Dirtrider,

I was also discussing the Timing Valve with Galactic Greyhound on the bm bikes forum, so thanks for your reponse (especially as it was the same as mine :D)

Your schematic looks to have better detail than I have seen in my Clymer manual, and there are no decent wiring diagrams in the official BMW CD manual.

Do you have a full diagram of the R1100Rt (or R1150RT) in the same detail?

Regards

Archived