IGNORED

How Hard Would It Be For Garmin to Assume Its Users Know What They Want?

RockBottom

I've now spent the better part of an hour uploading, previewing, deleting, fixing, and re-uploading a route from Mapsource. Every time the Zumo decides to "fix" it for me and add asinine detours. Garmin needs to kill the automatic recalculate "feature" in the Zumo and just assume that when someone designs a route on Mapsource, that's really what they want.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Is there a menu option for killing the automatic recalculate? My GPSMap 276C used to do automatic recalcs, until I found the menu setting that forces it to ask me for permission (and default to NO if I don't answer in about 30 seconds).

Morning RockBottom

There is a workaround I use when importing strange routes into my Zumo 550 when I don’t want to have them changed due to import re-calculating or any mapping differences between MapSource & Zumo effecting the routing.

Not sure what Zumo you are using but you can try the workaround.

First, turn off ALL the maps in your Zumo (basically untic the NT or other mapping you have loaded in your Zumo), then send the route in question to your Zumo, then allow the Zumo to find it & import it. Now just re-tic the NT map in your Zumo to turn it back on. With no map other than base map showing at import it has nothing to force re-calculation to.

Morning Mitch

The Zumo has 2 issues in the re-calculation department.

First, the Zumo series always tries to re-calculate imported routes to match it’s existing mapping (even with re-calculate turned off)

Second, even with automatic re-calculate turned off in the Zumo (or most Garmin units) if a rider reverses a route while riding so doubles back over the existing route (basically doubles back over a given distance) it can at times automatically re-calculate without the rider even knowing it is happening. If enough shaping points exist it will be transparent & will re-calculate back to the original route but if the route is lacking enough shaping points it might re-calculate to a different route to the next shaping point or POI or could change the entire remainder of the route.

I have turned the automatic re-calculate to prompt (after the Zumo recalculated me onto a few dirt logging roads over mountains) but that doesn't effect the re-calculation it does when you're transferring a route.

I have found that the more shaping points in a route, the less likely the Zumo is to decide to add its own little diversions. That annoys me both because I have an obsession with simplicity and elegance in design, and because it means the unit will display the distance to the next waypoint rather than the more useful distance to the next turn.

--- and because it means the unit will display the distance to the next waypoint rather than the more useful distance to the next turn.

Afternoon RockBottom

It won’t do that (display distance to next shaping point) IF you place the shaping point directly on intersections that have actual road names.

It will still show distance to waypoints (not sure why you would use those to shape a route though)

If you place the shaping points on the road intersections & your Zumo still shows the distance to the shaping points then you have a discrepancy between the mapping in MapSource & your Zumo so you probably should delete then re-install the Maps in both applications again.

Steve, It may only get worse before better.. you know Mapsource is no longer being supported and all efforts are going into BaseCamp...

I get the recalculate issue with a route created on a diff. mapset... i.e. grabbing one from a friend... What a PIA.

I guess I'll eventually have to move over the Base Camp. It's installed, but I haven't used it.

The route I've been fighting with today is not a big deal because I've ridden it before and would know if the Zumo added a detour. I'm more concerned about my five day BRP/Cherohala Skyway/Dragon/Rt 16 ride coming up later this month.

Nice ride you've got planned.

Make sure your BaseCamp is the newest version, they have been changing it rapidly... at least it "looks" nicer now. Screen layout is similar to MS now. (not so many cluttered windows)

Afternoon Phil

If you regularly trade & import routes from friends without running through MapSource first & the routes are mostly local (your state or close to it) you can try what I have been doing.

That is to have the latest NT mapping installed on my Zumo as well as my state & surrounding states installed with the matching NT map versions of my friends.

That way if I import a friends route made on NT 2008 or NT 2011.1 or NT XXX.x I can just un-tic my latest map then tic the matching map to my friends route, then import it. I then have the choice of staying on that map set while traveling as a group or if I am traveling alone once the route is imported on the correct map set I simply un-tic the map used at import then re-tic my latest NT map (as long as I don’t re-calculate or back track it works fine on the latest NT map set). If I ever back track I just stop the route & re-initialize it to go back to original routing.

The downside to the above is you are limited to smaller areas (like home states or 3-4 state areas) as the files get REALLY big if you try to install 3 or 4 different entire US maps on a single SD card.

DT, interesting... so you have multiple versions of mapsets on your ZUMO (of only local areas, etc.>few states) and you switch back and forth between mapsets... correct?

Do you always upgrade to the newest mapset? If so, I guess you delete the last up-to-date mapset, install the newest complete mapset, then go back and choose local areas from your last installed mapset and re-install so it is available for older created routes.. Am I following this correctly? (on routes you create do you add a note as to what mapset they were created on?)

(and how do you know what mapset others created their route on, I guess just ask them?)

Do you send all your maps to the SD card or internal memory? (I'm using the Z660 which has larger memory than the 550)

Afternoon Phil

--so you have multiple versions of mapsets on your ZUMO (of only local areas, etc.>few states) and you switch back and forth between mapsets... correct? ____

Yes, that is correct.

--Do you always upgrade to the newest mapset? ____

Usually

--If so, I guess you delete the last up-to-date mapset, install the newest complete mapset, then go back and choose local areas from your last installed mapset and re-install so it is available for older created routes.. Am I following this correctly? (on routes you create do you add a note as to what mapset they were created on?)___

It won’t work that way as when you install a new mapset on the Zumo it overwrites the old one. So I start by building a new mapset in MapSource that includes ALL the US, Canada, & Mexico, then add in the 3 state area from old map sets that match my friends routing & map sets (basically it all goes into the Zumo as one large map on the SD card.

(and how do you know what mapset others created their route on, I guess just ask them?) ____

I either ask or I know from experience or if in doubt I just import the route into MapSource as it usually self picks the mapping it was made on if I have that map available in my MapSource.

Do you send all your maps to the SD card or internal memory? (I'm using the Z660 which has larger memory than the 550)___

The latest (entire) NT mapping won’t all fit on my Zumo internal memory so I keep the 24K routable topo maps on the Zumo internal memory then install ALL the other latest NT & friends NT version map sets on an 8 gig SD card (really works seamlessly)

So I downloaded the newest Base Camp, played around and created a route, and have tried to import it three times. Every time my Zumo shuts off. WTG, Garmin!

So I downloaded the newest Base Camp, played around and created a route, and have tried to import it three times. Every time my Zumo shuts off. WTG, Garmin!

Yeah, that Garmin makes some great software, don't they!

Did you take a look at the "directions?" LACKING... does not show time of leg or time >to leg. I use that a lot, i.e when to tell someone to expect me to be by their area...

Did you take a look at the "directions?" LACKING... does not show time of leg or time >to leg. I use that a lot, i.e when to tell someone to expect me to be by their area...

Is the PC version that different from the Mac version? I have Time and Total Time. So from Turn A to Turn B it might read:

Total      Total
Direction                     Distance  Heading     Time                     Distance   Time
Turn right onto Hwy 87 N      7.7mi     358° true   11 minute(s)             11.9 mi    18 minute(s)
Turn left onto Lake Mary Rd   106 mi    41° true    1 hour(s), 46 minute(s)  118 mi     2 hour(s), 4 minute(s)

Seems to me that you could use this to figure it out. Is this not what you are looking for, or is this information not in the PC version?

Wayne

BASECAMP PC version.completely lacking. (this is the first 10 directions in a short loop) It is to NJ Motospoprts Park, AMA Superbike Championships there this weekend Sept 2-4, BTW. (See you there?)

i.e. Mapsource: (excuse the lack of formatting)

1. Start 0 ft 0:00:00 N39 50.688 W74 56.501

2. Get on Cr-685 and drive southwest 12 ft 12 ft 0:00:00 0:00:00 274° true N39 50.688 W74 56.504

3. Las Brisas Blvd and Cr-685 0.5 mi 0.5 mi 0:01:11 0:01:11 0° true N39 50.513 W74 56.996

4. Turn right onto Cr-685 0.5 mi 0 ft 0:00:00 0:01:11 0° true N39 50.513 W74 56.996

5. Keep right onto S Lakeview Dr 1.0 mi 0.5 mi 0:01:04 0:02:15 248° true N39 50.276 W74 57.485

6. N Lakeview Dr and S Lakeview Dr and E Clementon Rd 1.4 mi 0.3 mi 0:00:37 0:02:52 0° true N39 50.487 W74 57.735

7. Turn left onto E Clementon Rd 1.4 mi 0 ft 0:00:00 0:02:52 0° true N39 50.487 W74 57.735

8. S White Horse Pike and White Horse Pike and E Gibbsboro Rd and Gibbsboro Rd 3.7 mi 2.4 mi 0:05:27 0:08:19 0° true N39 48.741 W74 59.107

9. Bear left onto Gibbsboro Rd 3.7 mi 0 ft 0:00:00 0:08:19 0° true N39 48.741 W74 59.107

10. Chews Landing Rd and Berlin Rd and Erial Rd and Gibbsboro Rd 4.3 mi 0.5 mi 0:00:56 0:09:15 0° true N39 48.337 W74 59.422

BaseCamp:

Home1

Get on Barney Ln and drive southwest

Turn right onto Old Stevens Ln

Old Stevens Ln and Hazel Ave

Turn left onto Hazel Ave

Turn left onto Las Brisas Blvd

Las Brisas Blvd and Cr-685

Turn right onto Cr-685

Keep right onto S Lakeview Dr

N Lakeview Dr and S Lakeview Dr and E Clementon Rd

Turn left onto E Clementon Rd

S White Horse Pike and White Horse Pike and E Gibbsboro Rd and Gibbsboro Rd

Bear left onto Gibbsboro Rd

Chews Landing Rd and Berlin Rd and Erial Rd and Gibbsboro Rd

SWEEET (NOT!!)

Just to further confuse matters, I'm using a Garmin 2820 with routes plotted in Mapsource. Earlier this week I uplaoded routes for a three day trip to the sat nav and got an error message stating the maps in mapsource and the sat nav were different (WTF) and asking if I wanted the 2820 to recalculate them to fit to the roads. I knew for a fact this was wrong as both are running the same map software.

Reloading the mapset from Mapsource to the 2820 cured it in my case. I'm not sure if this is a possible option (reloading the maps) with the Zumo.

Hey, I'm late to this thread and will not attempt to jump-in with more tricks...

I will say this. I was the original zumo Forums Moderator. I know a little about the system and about Mapsource.

I have the latest Maps (Lifetime Updates) and the latest Mapsource. It works every time I use it....

I think the knocks at Garmin are unfair and misleading. I have helped hundreds of people figure out how to route and transfer large and small trips. Everytime (so far) there is a problem... it turns out to be some basic misunderstanding of how to use the system.

Yesterday I laid out a 7 day ride in Mapsource... imported it and checked all the 12 routes on the unit. All was as I laid it out.

Good luck in your search for a system that works for you. I wish you well. My suggestion is that you go back to first principles. Same map as on the Mapsource. Latest software, Use it the way it was designed... Zoom WAY IN. 9 out of 10 u-turns and corrections is due to the user not zooming in and because the way point or shaping point was put on the wrong side of the road. Yes, you have to zoom in far enough to see which side of the road you are using. Mapsource does not know what you are thinking, but only what you tell it.

Hopz, I agree 80% with what your saying.. but (BTW, 6.16.3 latest and LAST mapsource is pretty good at laying the intersection point so that ZOOMING in is not as critical as it used to be, but you probably know that)...

The issue is, MAPSOURCE has been thrown to the curb.. It was almost there, it just needs a few "fixes" and it could be truly great, but no.. it's been abandoned. I plan to use it AND learn BaseCAmp which is lacking because I can see (not 100%, just guessing) that some time from now you'll get a mapset that WON'T be able to be unlocked by Mapsource.. You will be forced to learn BaseCamp..

So are the knocks unfair?? I don't think so; if you've been following the developers comments on BaseCamp (on Garmin Forums) and it's development, they are fairly clueless as to what a motorcyclist needs in a mapping program. We had to explain to him some fairly basic issues and WHY it doesn't work (for us)

While "bitching" about Garmin, their firmware upgrades are abysmal (no retrograde testing that we can see.. and have caused more issues than help) Bluetooth is atypical in their units and has caused untold grief... for the price of the 660.. it has been a BIG let-down. They have stepped backwards... and it ain't cheap.

Hey, Bob. Have you had any trouble with the latest Garmin maps working with Mapsource and the ZUMO 550? I need to update my maps, but I'm reluctant after hearing about all the problems people are having. I DON'T have any trouble with my 2 year old maps and not many highways have changed. So why update?

Afternoon Al

As you say the mapping hasn’t changed much but there are changes like added traffic circles up the wazzo in my area, some new freeway exits, etc.

What you do get with the new mapping is updated POI’s & service facilities. Lots of added eateries over the last two years, & more importantly added or removed gas stations. The latest 2012.2 mapping has finally showed a paved road in my area that has been paved for 20+ years & now shows a local dirt road as dirt so I now don’t have to manually remove it from my routes going that way (it always routed over that gravel section even with avoid turned on). And wonder of wonders it even moved a local gas station to the correct coordinates & on the correct side of the freeway.

I know some people have had problems with the new 2012.1 & 2012.2 mapping on the Zumo 550 but I am using the MapSource 6.16.3 & latest 2012.2 NT mapping with 0 faults except still some roads are not up to date as far as surface goes. Might be the fact that I never auto load the new mapping directly into the Zumo but instead originally load only to MapSource then build the maps & load to the Zumo.

I have Base Camp installed but so far that program has been a real setback to my ease in making complex routings & complex off-road tracks so my plans are to stay with the current MapSource as long as possible.

I have Base Camp installed but so far that program has been a real setback to my ease in making complex routings & complex off-road tracks so my plans are to stay with the current MapSource as long as possible.

Same here. I tried to make one with Base Camp and didn't find it enough better to justify learning a new interface.

Hey Al...

You and I agree that the maps at 2 years old are not too bad... but I like the updated POI as much as the roads.

So far the Lifetime Updates have gone... OK, but each one is a P.I.T.A. in one way or another.

One advantage or maybe a an irritant is you also get the latest Mapsource with the Map update. Good to have things match I guess.

Hey Al...

One advantage or maybe a an irritant is you also get the latest Mapsource with the Map update. Good to have things match I guess.

Wait till it starts coming with the newest edition of BaseCamp..

ARRRGGGGHHHH

not trying to prolong the argument but...

Do routes change if you plan them on the unit?

If not, then any speculation on why they change when drawn on Mapsource then moved to the unit? Especially if the unit's map is sent from the Mapsource maps?

I've never planned one on the unit. My weekend rides are normally over 300 miles with a dozen or more shaping points, so it would be torture to build them on the Zumo.

After multiple exchanges with Garmin concerning the issue that started that thread, their final answer was, "beats us."

I've never planned one on the unit. My weekend rides are normally over 300 miles with a dozen or more shaping points, so it would be torture to build them on the Zumo.

After multiple exchanges with Garmin concerning the issue that started that thread, their final answer was, "beats us."

hehe.... great.

Morning RockBottom

I do believe if I were at the point your are at now I would delete the 2012.2 mapping in both MapSource & on the Zumo (both main memory & SD card).

Then re-download the 2012.2 mapping ONLY into MapSource, then once in MapSource select the mapping you want using the “map tool” then send that to the Zumo.

First select part or all of the USA & send that to the Zumo’s main memory then select the remainder & send that to the SD card. Watch where it goes so you don’t overwrite.

This will make darn certain your mapping totally matches in both MapSource & on your Zumo.

It still sounds like maybe some parts of your mapping doesn’t match between the Zumo & MapSource.

In the spirit of total honesty, and despite my previous comments.. I find I had the same (general) problem as the O.P.

I just plotted a week-long ride, with 9 segments. I downloaded the latest map along with Mapsource. I then loaded the maps to the unit- just exactly as Dirtrider said...

I have a couple of my route segments with spurious, unexplained off-track routing. Nothing serious, but still strange and not perfect.

I tried sending the routes over to a clean unit with the maps turned off, as D.R. said earlier in this thread...then turned the maps on.... no joy.

Mystery. (I do not plan to go to Base Camp)...

In the spirit of total honesty, and despite my previous comments.. I find I had the same (general) problem as the O.P.

I just plotted a week-long ride, with 9 segments. I downloaded the latest map along with Mapsource. I then loaded the maps to the unit- just exactly as Dirtrider said...

I have a couple of my route segments with spurious, unexplained off-track routing. Nothing serious, but still strange and not perfect.

I tried sending the routes over to a clean unit with the maps turned off, as D.R. said earlier in this thread...then turned the maps on.... no joy.

There are two possible explanations for this: 1) I am not insane; or, 2) You and I are equally insane.

Is this something recent? Once Garmin made their product work on the Mac, I stopped using the Windows version, but I never found this to an issue and I don't see this on my Zumo 450 or Quest units (as long as I make sure I use the right mapset when I'm laying out the route).

For a recent trip I used DeLorme's Topo software and exported the route as a GPX file. I found that there were a load of U-turns and other things that were plotted when I imported those into the Quest, but that's to be expected since the base maps didn't match entirely.

Wayne

With me, it comes and goes with no explanation. I've gone through episodes of it before. I've contacted Garmin every time, and they have no explanation. The first time it came, up, they simply denied it was happening.

Morning Hopz

This might be narrowing it down a bit. If the route still ended up corrupt on the Zumo even when imported with the NT mapping turned off that probably means it was somehow screwed up in MapSource.

With the Zumo map turned off you pretty well got the route into the Zumo exactly as it was made in MapSource as the Zumo didn’t have anything to recalculate it to on import.

This might also be why some users think Base Camp works better as maybe it isn’t corrupting the route.

I wonder if this has something to do with how some computer operating systems are interfacing with MapSource?

Added: how does that route in question look when you export it directly to Google Earth. Are those funny little spurious, unexplained off-track routing’s shown in Google Earth?

I wonder if this has something to do with how some computer operating systems are interfacing with MapSource?

I don't think so--it happened to me with my previous Vista PC and with my current Win 7 one.

So... to follow this DR, what op. sys are you guys using?

I've switched everything over to Win 7 pro 64 bit. (and have yet to see this issue... but haven't really ridden a lot of complicated routes lately..) Most of my older routes were on XP machines..

So... to follow this DR, what op. sys are you guys using?

I've switched everything over to Win 7 pro 64 bit. (and have yet to see this issue... but haven't really ridden a lot of complicated routes lately..) Most of my older routes were on XP machines..

I'm using Win 7 Premium 64

I am using:

-a brand new instance of Win 7 Home Premium.

-a brand new downloaded Mapsource. 6.16.3

-latest version of the maps sent to the unit and card NT 2012.2

- all these routes made on new Mapsource and the newly installed maps

- recency effect? First time I have noticed, and this is the first use of the new system

Comments on Dirtriders questions...

I follow your logic about the possible source of the corruption. Now, let me SPECULATE... when I laid out this route, I selected my starting point and my forst logical destination. It made a route I did not like so I used the Undo command, and then the Drag-n-drop pointer tool. It had a difficult time making the route like I wanted it. I used the Undo again. The used the route tool to make shorter segments, essentially forcing it be the path of travel I wanted. Saved the route.

Moved it to the unit. Looked at the route on the unit and saw an odd leg which missed the turn I was havving a difficult time making it take.

Several conjectures... one is that it did not really undo the route segment I did not like, and used it anyway, or, it was just in a pissy mood and was determined to make me pay for all my previous mapping sins.

I strongly favor the latter but I am not certain.

In any case, we leave in the dark of morning tomorrow- glitches or not.

---Comments on Dirtriders questions...

I follow your logic about the possible source of the corruption. Now, let me SPECULATE... when I laid out this route, I selected my starting point and my forst logical destination. It made a route I did not like so I used the Undo command, and then the Drag-n-drop pointer tool. It had a difficult time making the route like I wanted it. I used the Undo again. The used the route tool to make shorter segments, essentially forcing it be the path of travel I wanted. Saved the route.

Moved it to the unit. Looked at the route on the unit and saw an odd leg which missed the turn I was havving a difficult time making it take.

Several conjectures... one is that it did not really undo the route segment I did not like, and used it anyway, or, it was just in a pissy mood and was determined to make me pay for all my previous mapping sins.

I strongly favor the latter but I am not certain.

-

Afternoon Hopz

I presume you didn’t do a verification re-calculate in MapSource before exporting ., Correct?

Whenever I struggle a bit getting a route to follow the path I want— Then right after route completion I usually copy the route from the route box, then open a new MapSource session, then paste the copied route into the new MapSource session.

Then in the new MapSource session I do a re-calculate, then change the route color to some other color (usually red), then re-name the route by adding a 1 after the route name.

Now I copy that color changed, re-named/re-calculated route back into the original MapSource session. They BETTER match EXACTLY or I know I will have problems once exported into the Zumo.

If they don’t match I add additional shaping points to bring the re-calculated route to match the original then do the re-calculate/verification process over & re-check for EXACT route matching.

It sounds difficult but really takes less time than it took for you to read this post once it becomes habit.

I wonder if your "edit> preferences > routing " in Mapsource, Hopz, was preventing the route from "allowing" you to create the route you wanted... i.e., slider all the way to "minor roads" and you had some highway.. It will just not lay down on some roads forcing you to make all these changes, route forces, etc.

BTW, the closest to what my Zumo 660 likes is "Faster time" with the slider in the middle... if it recalculates a route and I don't have a lot of shaping points, it will pretty much stay the same.. but if my routing preferences are a different (in Mapsource) if the Zumo recalculates.. it is gonna be different.

D.R., do you notice that a route saved in .gpx doesn't hold in Mapsource (route the same..) as well as a route saved in .gdb? ..and why?

D.R., do you notice that a route saved in .gpx doesn't hold in Mapsource (route the same..) as well as a route saved in .gdb? ..and why?

Afternoon w2ge

I really haven’t noticed any difference but I seldom bring a .GPX back into MapSource. At times I will save a slew of “made routes” in .GPX then slide them into my Zumo as a file transport to do a single mass import but otherwise most of my routes are saved as a .GDB

I save the same way.. as .gdb, but I often will also save as .gpx (and tell them to use gpsvisualizer) for those that don't have mapsource and have seen the difference..

BTW, I'm DRw2ge on BMWOA forums (for some reason couldn't get w2ge on BMWOA!

Interesting. I'll try that. I really hate having to use work arounds for design flaws though.

I am SO glad I use StreetPilots and Quests for navigation! :Cool: Plan on the PC, download to the GPS and no problems after that........

Rode a route today where I was on an interstate, the Zumo told me to take an exit then stay on the ramp and immediately get back on the interstate. I zoomed in on the route in Mapsource and there is absolutely nothing at that location indicating that. Which goes back to my point that started this thread: what the heck was Garmin thinking when they made the unit recalculate a transferred route without giving the user any control? I can think of only two possible explanations: 1) Garmin assumes their customer's aren't very bright and therefore need the SATNAV to fix mistakes the customer's build into their routes; 2 Garmin engineers aren't very bright.

Not that I have any illusion that it's going to matter, but I just sent this email to Garmin:

"Today I was again victimized by your flawed design. This is probably the 50th time. The problem is the Zumo recalculating routes that have been built in MapSource and transferred, and adding detours as it does so. Today, it had me exit an interstate, stay on the ramp, and immediately re-renter the interstate. This was NOT in the route in Mapsource--the Zumo added it on its own. There are only two possible explanations for you designing the Zumo to automatically recalculate routes transferred to it: 1) you believe your customers are not bright enough to design their routes correctly and the Zumo needs to fix them; 2) your designers aren't too bright and added the auto-recaluclate "feature" which causes problems with no value added."

Steve, I am sure, now that you have sent that most erudite letter, that Garmin engineers will get right on it, and within a week or so, we will be notified of a firmware update for this fix. No doubt...

(..and if you believe that, I have _________ (fill in the blank with your favorite ironic cliche)

;-)

2) your designers aren't too bright and added the auto-recaluclate "feature" which causes problems with no value added."
I wonder what they'll think when they figure out that it's spelled "recalculate".

Trouble with calling someone's intelligence into question is that our own simple errors get magnified & Murphy says that the likelihood of making a mistake skyrockets when dissing someone else.

:D

2) your designers aren't too bright and added the auto-recaluclate "feature" which causes problems with no value added."
I wonder what they'll think when they figure out that it's spelled "recalculate".

Trouble with calling someone's intelligence into question is that our own simple errors get magnified & Murphy says that the likelihood of making a mistake skyrockets when dissing someone else.

:D

That's why I have an editor in real life!

Not that I have any illusion that it's going to matter, but I just sent this email to Garmin:

"Today I was again victimized by your flawed design. This is probably the 50th time. The problem is the Zumo recalculating routes that have been built in MapSource and transferred, and adding detours as it does so. Today, it had me exit an interstate, stay on the ramp, and immediately re-renter the interstate. This was NOT in the route in Mapsource--the Zumo added it on its own. There are only two possible explanations for you designing the Zumo to automatically recalculate routes transferred to it: 1) you believe your customers are not bright enough to design their routes correctly and the Zumo needs to fix them; 2) your designers aren't too bright and added the auto-recaluclate "feature" which causes problems with no value added."

I am with ya on this. Please let us know how they respond, although I don't expect anything earth-shaking. My guess is it will be a "canned" reply that has no relevance to your message. This is but one example of how they continue to screw over a pretty large customer segment.

Edit: maybe you should have included a link to this thread and some of the other recent Garmin-related threads.

Like mine.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=64663&Number=718465#Post718465

Archived