IGNORED

84 R100T electrical issue

Labdaddy

Hi folks,

My buddy just purchased this beautiful R100t with an RS fairing,and brought it to my shop to go thru it; it's his first BMW and he wanted to learn how to torque the heads, adjust valves etc.. Well, the gauges were loose and the fairing rattled considerably. I noticed the voltmeter had no bracket. Not having a spare, we fabricated one from some heavy aluminum I had laying around. The next day I started the bike and turned the left signal on. Dashlight not flashing??? I looked to the rear and the tailight was. No turn signals and a flashing tail light. Could this new bracket be causing a problem? All wires underneath are connected. Nothing was disconnected during procedure. If the bracket was touching something on ignition wouldn't a fuse blow? Any ideas? Thanks, John

There are two relays mounted on the top bar of the frame. You have to remove the tank to get to them. 90% chance it is the relay. Don't get confused on the relay in the headlight bucket. If you want a picture of the relay, send me a pm with your email and I'll send you a picture. I just replaced mine on mine. Same symptoms.

Archived