IGNORED

R75/5 Advice

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

I just bought a '71 R75/5 in nice original condition with 17k on the clock. It looks good, starts & runs well.

As I really don't know the internal condition, I am seeking advice as to what I should do: ride it, or do some basic maintenance including internal exam before riding (eg. spline lube. etc).

I have a few bike restorations under my belt, but no BMWs. Also, my other restos needed attention. This one seems pretty good.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Stephen

Paul Mihalka

I would replace the carburetor diaphragms. Check the screens of the petcocks inside the gas tank. Replace the fuel lines. The gas tanks can get very rusty inside.

Sage advise from the old fart.

It's very easy to remove the petcocks as well as the tank. Run it low, then get the tank off of the bike, remove the petcocks, tip 'er upside down and get all the gunk that usually lives in the lower folds of the tank.

Get yourself a manual.

Dump all the fluids. Refill with new.

Ride the snot out of it. :grin:

Welcome airhead, not many of us here.

MB>

I'd also replace all the fluids including brake and fork fluids. After cleaned up, I'd run a compression check. It is a good indicator of condition. On a BMW airhead, you must ground the plug wires when doing a compression check or you can blow the coils (ask me how I know). Also must pop the carbs off or lift the slide so it will draw air in. Anything over 100/110 is good with 140 being excellent.

A R75/5 does not know what brake fluid is :grin::wave:

I had a '74 R75/6 tha knew what brake fluid was but it definitely didn't know what brakes were. The original anti-lock brakes, unfortunately also anti-stop.

Paul Mihalka

IMHO a properly adjusted front drum brake on a /5 is a much better brake then the single disk brake with the master cylinder under the tank, of a /6.

In addition to the above sage advice, check the push rod seals below the cylinders. If they look to show dry rot crack, which they probably do, replace them.

Stephen_Chase

Thanks Gang! I appreciate the good advice.

Right now, all fluid done (not brakes, lol) + fork fluid and bike is working pretty good. To my pleasant surprise parts are readily available from Max BMW & reasonably priced to boot.

Stephen

Archived