IGNORED

Stupid things thread

EddyQ

It seems there are lots of stupid things happening lately and I thought it would be fun to start a thread with stories.

Not looking for long discussions or solutions, but simply stupid things that you or someone you know has done.

I commute to work almost ever day. I almost always take the same route in. It is mostly all backroads with a few that are rather scenic for this area. Well shortly into the ride in, I took a right turn a wee bit tighter than I usually do. There was a guardrail and some vegitation growing over the top. Halfway through the turn, I get this loud wap across my helmet! :dopeslap: Yeh, glad that wasn't a sign post. . . I never even saw it coming. But it sure did take me out of my apparent sleeping state. :thumbsup:

Anyone else do something stupid?

Got distracted a couple weeks ago while closing my right sidecase. My bike cover in the case got caught in the latch and it didn't lock correctly. Somewhere on the way home it opened. I lot the bmw bike cover and my case touched the ground each time I made a right turn. A guy in a Geek Squad van yelled. "hey buddy your case is open"! I now have a quarter sized black mark on the top of the case! Good thing there wasn't traffic to split....

Afternoon Eddy

Probably the only way you are going to get useful (and truthful) information here is to ask the wife’s (or husbands).

Probably the only way you are going to get useful (and truthful) information here is to ask the wife’s (or husbands).

Well that is a very good point DR.

How about we allow stupid things from all effected parties? Riding partners, wife's/husband's, friends or whatever. .

One the road or off the road. . .

Motorcycle related . . .

And since I posted it under "Ride Well", it should somehow link to "The Skill Level" or lack there of.

How about we allow stupid things from all effected parties? Riding partners, wife's/husband's, friends or whatever. .

One the road or off the road. . .

I don't think this site has enough band width for that.

On a tour in Oregon a couple years ago on my 1100RT we were looking for a place to eat. My buddy roars ahead out of sight. We come to a small town. Driving through, I see my speedy buddy to the right standing in a cafe parking lot waving. I hit the brakes and turn sharp into the lot...too hard on the brakes and too sharp. I go over and end up under the bike with foot pinned. My buddies had to lift bike up. I ended up with a purple foot and limping for several days. Lucky I didn't break it.

Dave

You're just posting this to make me feel better! Thank you. I did almost the exact same thing the same way. I've since gotten my side case repainted.

It was about 7 - 8 years ago. I am commuting to work every day. I have to ride on two of the busiest hwy's in Atlanta area to get to and from home / office

I am on my K1200rs riding along cheking my mirrors etc. and there is no traffic following me. I cannot figure it out. A couple more checks and then I notice the "flames" coming from my bike. Seems my gym bag had shifted, and the bottom of the bag was sitting on top of the muffler. The heat had melted the bottom of the bag, and inside I had a large paper IT magazine. This a magazine made of actual paper, not plastic coated or anything.

Well the heat from the muffler started the paper on fire, which in turn created enough heat to start the gym socks and 100.00 running shoes on fire.

I had flames probably 12 - 16 inches high coming from the back of my bike as I rode 35+ MPH down the highway.

No wonder everyone was staying back. Well I pulled over was able to get the bag off the bike, no damage to bike at all, the heat/fire had been contained to the gym bag.

Get this image in your head, I am on the side of one of the busiest hwy;s in Atlanta with my K1200rs sitting on it's sidestand, with the burning gym bag on the ground, and me stomping the fire out.

I get the fire out, retrieve any recoverable items from the gym bag and mount up on the bike and ride into work. At that time I worked in a very tall building and had a nice office that faced the highway I rode in on. Just as I get to my office I see out the window a firetruck at my "burned out" location on the highway. Seems a number of "distracted" drivers had called in a 911 call.

I called 911 let them know it was me, that all was good and explained that it was just my gym bag and not the bike. They took it pretty well and did not charge me anything.

I still commute daily with a gym bag (new one) but before every ride I double check the straps now.

Randy, that was classic!

I would have to say the dumbest thing I have come across in 13 years of EMS was a kid who took a turn a little too fast and took on an Explorer head on (will upload pic later when I get off shift). He went butt over handle bars and over the top of the Explorer. He landed about 35-40 feet away in a ditch. Then the rocket Scientist tried to run away from the scene. Unfortunately he broke both his legs below the knee (tib-fib). I know I should not find this amusing, but he would throw the cops off of him the try to get up and run away until you heard a loud snap and he would fall down again and the dog pile would continue. Sitting off the the side waiting to get him backboarded and in my truck so I could care for him, it was very amusing. Still to this day do not know how he lived.

For me...well I bought a used bike with crash bars for a reason

No personal pain involved, but quite some time back when I owned an ST1100, I was riding home from the Southeast. I tried pushing for home, but a couple hundred miles out I found myself too tired to keep going. I pulled into a hotel parking lot, dismounted smartly, and watched my ST balance momentarily . . . until it flopped on its side.

In my fatigued, somewhat brain-dead state, I'd completely forgotten about the sidestand.

If I were to think about this for a while, I could come up with dozens of similarly stupid things I've done over the years. However, I find that it's better for my ego if I just allow those memories to remain covered with cobwebs in a dusty corner of my brain.

So many choices. :P

My most recent "brain fart" involved pushing the truck out of the garage due to a dead battery so it could be jump started. Made sure my kid was out of the way, the steering was straight, there was no obstruction behind it. I thought I had covered everything. :rofl:

Then I grabbed the door frame and steering wheel and gave a mighty tug. All was progressing fine until I heard a sound of metal hitting plastic (the door hadn't cleared the left side case) followed rapidly by the distinct sound of the RT coming of the center stand. :eek::eek:

Moving faster than I thought possible, I quickly jammed the parking brake of the truck on, shut the drivers' door, spun a 180, took two steps and grabbed the handlebars of the bike and applied the front brake. :clap:

Fortunately, the truck stopped, the front tire was straight and the trash can was next to the bike so it couldn't fall over before I grabbed it. :clap::clap:

In the end, the only damage was to my pride, but nearly a "brown trouser" moment for sure. And I cleaned out the garage so there is more room between vehicles now.

In the distant past I seem to have commited many stupid acts. I've either gotten wiser of just because of my age, thankfully, I just can't remember any of them from the recent present. In a misadventure I was riding home and a friend was following behind me in a car. I got to a stop sign at 2 in the morning and promptly fell over when I stopped. Forgot to put my feet down-alcohol was involved. I was 21--everyone at that age has a stupid quotant. I was pushing mine.

A few years later I had an AMC Matador station wagon sitting in the driveway with a flat tire. For whatever reason I decided to move it forward in the driveway but it wouldn't start. I opened the door and decided to try and push it forward. I didn't expect to have much luck moving it. The car was heavy and the drive was road mix gravel and the parking spot was surrounded by railroad ties to contain the gravel up to the top of the ties. My yard had a slight downward incline. I placed the shifter in neutral and gave it a hearty full force shove and to my full suprise the car rolled away from me faster than I could react to it and away down the yard it went picking up speed! 20 yards later the car came to rest against my band new yard shed and the tree that stopped both of them!! I hated that car.

...I had an AMC Matador station wagon...

That's really all you had to say. :grin:

:rofl:Thanks Danny

I'll be here all week. Try the veal, & don't forget to tip your bar tender.

If that is all that is required for inclusion I had a Vega station wagon. With a 4 speed. In baby-sh*t green.

A fun car when it ran.

Paul Mihalka

Now don't blast AMC cars! I had a AMC Hornet Hatchback with all the sport trimmings and it was a beautiful great driving car! Even did well in some Autocrosses!

Hornet_hatchback.jpg

Truly the ugliest and worst car my dear dad ever had. Makes me laugh just thinking about it..

I predate you AMC guys, I had a Rambler station wagon with push button drive. It was baby sh** brown so there's no pictures for obvious reasons. :rofl:

Paul Mihalka

Just to continue with the hijack, I don't know what you guys have against AMC. In Venezuela I had a '62 Rambler Classic, bought new. Drove it for 6 years all across Venezuela and Colombia. Did a couple of high performance rallies with it. Never let me down. Because of the goodness of that car is that I bought the Hornet I showed here. I found them much better made than Ford or Chevy.

I'll hijack here too, AMC did, at that time, make a better car quality wise than did Ford or Chevy. Style-not so much. At least unitl the Pacer, that inverted bathtub piece of....after that-all downhill.

What surpises me is that out of that whole story, owning a Matador was considered more stupid than what happened to it. Really? Let's hear your stupid story :)

My first car was a Gremlin, so I have a soft spot for AMC.

On a first date in High school, we ended up out at the reservoir in a wooded remote spot off a dirt road to 'get better acquainted'. We were in my metallic green 1969 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon that had side pipes, mag wheels and green shag carpet. When we were ready to go, we climbed back into the front seat and I started it up and put it in drive. . . . only to have the real wheels spin in the mud. Hmm.... Our hero tries reverse . . just spins. Back to drive and rev it up some more . . no traction. Disgusted, I open the door and lean out - looking back at the rear wheel and select reverse . . . then I nail the throttle and proceeded to get myself and the door pelted and covered with mud! Doh!!!

later, a passing pick up caught our lights and pulled me out

Had an $800 POS Dodge PU that had an aftermarket floor shifter that was always breaking. So me and my buddy decide one day to weld it up but good. So after we’re finished, we’re laying up underneath it admiring our ‘damn we’re good!’ work when he asks, “do you smell something burning?” So we crawl out from underneath only to discover we’d set the interior on fire. Biggest issue – the truck was still in his house garage. We managed to push it out and with the help of a weed sprayer (yes – weed spray!) got the fire out.

Our wives were not impressed.

(Footnote to the story – A rubber floor mat to replace the burnt carpet and a junk yard bench seat later I still used the truck for another 5 years or so. Never did smell quite the same inside though.)

Had an $800 POS Dodge PU that had an aftermarket floor shifter that was always breaking. So me and my buddy decide one day to weld it up but good. So after we’re finished, we’re laying up underneath it admiring our ‘damn we’re good!’ work when he asks, “do you smell something burning?” So we crawl out from underneath only to discover we’d set the interior on fire. Biggest issue – the truck was still in his house garage. We managed to push it out and with the help of a weed sprayer (yes – weed spray!) got the fire out.

Our wives were not impressed.

(Footnote to the story – A rubber floor mat to replace the burnt carpet and a junk yard bench seat later I still used the truck for another 5 years or so. Never did smell quite the same inside though.)

Did that help work the bugs out?

-----

Paul Mihalka
As an 18 year old newly licensed rider, I bought a brand new Honda CBR600F4i. That was pretty stupid. :-D

Hey, you are still alive to tell us about it... :grin:

Not stupid, but might border on genius. Eighteen years old in 1974 & I'm looking to buy a street bike. I visit the local Kaw/Triumph dealer & am drawn to the last of the Bonny 750's. Disc brakes, nice paint, & it's a Triumph. What high schooler in the early seventies didn't want one?. I take the credit app home to fill out later & happen to leave it on the kitchen table. My parents see it & object. Not for the app, but for the choice of bike. Within a week they co-signed for an R75/6 for me.

Ruined for life. :Cool:

or my KZ 750... at age 20

Or a Suzuki GS1100E at 17! I'm either a cat minus a few or a ghost. :/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have an embarrassing story involving that bike.( what the heck tell the world) I pulled up to a traffic light about four in line when I noticed two fine looking girls to my right in a gas station. Just think how frickin cool I thought I was at 17 riding a badass bike like that. :Cool: I flip up the visor & glance over, to my surprise they didn’t bust out laughing. :thumbsup:

So the light changes & the traffic starts rolling as do I. Yup, had to sneak one last peek just as the car in front of me stops. BAM, I hit it! I never let go of the bars & the force of the impact through my legs up & over my head for a perfect handstand! :clap:

I actually landed on my feet still holding the bars but couldn’t hold the bike up. I dropped it on the right side snapping the clutch lever off. The car never stopped so quickly as possible I picked the bike up but had to jump start it without the clutch lever.

I'm pretty sure that drew some giggles from the ladies standing in the gas station. smiley-ashamed005.gif

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I only buy enough motor oil to do the job plus one quart just in case I burn some between changes. Well, my brother convinced me to buy a whole case and save some $$.

So, in the driveway just after changing the oil in the car I got in and started her up. Then, I proceeded to move the car when I hear a crunch and a few pops. The pops were at least two quarts of oil and the crunch was me running over the remains of the case of oil. :mad:

I wasn't happy. Choice words did happen. I moved the case to the other side of the car and proceeded to clean the oil off the car, windshield, wheel and wipe up the pool of oil in the driveway. It must have taken an hour. When finish, I started the car and proceeded in running over the remaining oil left in the case . . . :dopeslap:

EddyQ's story about oil reminded me of one of my most brilliant episodes. When I was a teenager the common practice was that we would put our used oil in plastic milk containers and then into the trash. That, however, was in New Mexico and I'm now visiting my Aunt & Uncle in California. Evidently they did things differently in CA. Well I had put a couple of gallon containers of used oil in the garbage. I'm standing in the garage when Chico, the trash guy, comes by on his rounds and hoists the trash bin up into the truck. He then proceeds to run the compactor (they didn't use compactors back home!). Well the containers were evidently precisely aligned such that the edge of the compactor hit the middle of the containers, whose spouts were pointing outwards. It was like a fountain and we had struck oil! Covered ole Chico and his garbage truck with used motor oil. I'm sure he would laugh about it now - he wasn't laughing then. I helped him clean himself and the garbage truck off best we could and he continued on his route - well lubed! :dopeslap:

I'll hijack here too, AMC did, at that time, make a better car quality wise than did Ford or Chevy. Style-not so much. At least unitl the Pacer, that inverted bathtub piece of....after that-all downhill.

What surpises me is that out of that whole story, owning a Matador was considered more stupid than what happened to it. Really? Let's hear your stupid story :)

I had the POS Trifecta as a kid/young adult...

Vega Hatchback - Never changed the oil, just the filters since it burned too much oil

Gremlin - Rootbeer brown with mag wheels and big tires. Fronts were too tall and would catch and rub in the fender wells when I made sharp turns.

Dodge Omni- My first new car. It was a choice between air conditioning and an automatic. My ex never did forgive me for making her learn to drive a stick shift in VA Beach traffic.

My ex never did forgive me for making her learn to drive a stick shift in VA Beach traffic.

Oh well.....thats what ex's are for :grin:

I put an oil filter relocation kit in a Chevy pickup once. It had an Olds motor in place of the blown diesel, and the headers were a squeeze and would rub the filter...

So I put the plate on that the hoses connected to, and got a little overzealous torquing it. After filling the now extra capacity dual filter system with something heinous like 8 qts of fresh oil, I fired up the truck. Good pressure. Goosed the gas a little, watched the pressure guage go to 60, good, then plummet.

Shut her down, stepped out into my father's garage and into a puddle of 8 quarts of fresh, hot oil....

yup, blew the cracked overtorqued mount to bits.

It took a very long time to clean up. It ran EVERYWHERE. There was no stopping it. Under shelves, under stacks of wood... The paper towel supply of several states was needed.

It's been quite a while ago but I was riding home from work on a 3 lane one-way highway. Sitting in the center lane and first in line at a red light. For some reason my mind just said green light and I took off. I didn't look left or right just took off. I realized what I had done as soon as cleared the intersection so I just kept going.

Funny thing is the 10 or so cars (center lane only) that followed me through the intersection like lemmings with the light still red! Thank God there were no accidents but the look on the right and left lane drivers watching it all was priceless! It scared me so much I almost sh** a squealing worm!!!!

Way back in the mid seventies my Dad & I rebuilt my Moms CB350. We had finished putting everything back together yesterday, & I was ready to test ride it today. And so upon coming home from school I did just that. I rode it around the neighborhood, prolly two miles worth. My Dad got home from work & I proudly announced the successful test ride. To my horror he shouted at me that although we had completed assembly...HE HAD NOT PUT OIL IN IT!!!

Funny thing, the bike ran great on my test ride, & ran perfect there after. And never burned oil.

I think he's still mad about that.

Crater Lake, 3 weeks ago: I made a right-hand downhill u-turn to shoot the pic below. Slowing to the stop, it leaned past the recovery point and dropped on the downhill side. First time in 14 years of riding. :P

Thank the stars for tip-over bars.

IMG_5672.jpg

Way back in the mid seventies my Dad & I rebuilt my Moms CB350. We had finished putting everything back together yesterday, & I was ready to test ride it today. And so upon coming home from school I did just that. I rode it around the neighborhood, prolly two miles worth. My Dad got home from work & I proudly announced the successful test ride. To my horror he shouted at me that although we had completed assembly...HE HAD NOT PUT OIL IN IT!!!

Funny thing, the bike ran great on my test ride, & ran perfect there after. And never burned oil.

I think he's still mad about that.

I think you may have stumbled on an original way to break in an engine...

Francois_Dumas

Stupidest thing I did was to maintain here that I'd never dropped the bike....... in that year I dropped it twice. The first time was the dumbest... left the disc brake lock on the front wheel while trying to ride off.

The disc brake locks work !

Archived